register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
abz123

Using UK telephones in Oz (Land line)

I took our big brand (name omitted in case of legal implications) DECT cordless phones over with us and changed out the cord to an RJ12 plug (I think) by buying a cable from Dick Smith and using a travel plug for the charger and it works no problem.

Now I want to get an Aussie 2 pin transformer so contacted big brand's .com.au product support team with the following query:

I brought the above phone over from the UK and am using it with no problems after changing the line cord but wondered if it was possible to buy Australian transformers rather than using the UK ones with an adapter plug.

Big Brand reply was:

Thank you for taking the time to contact big brand with your enquiry.

Due to legal restriction on Communications standards, You are not able to use phones from one country in another. Big brand Australia is not able to offer support for a Phone sold in another country. They are illegal in Australia

Is this a blatant rip off attempt to make me buy a new phone as I can almost guarantee that there is no difference between the phone sold here and the one I bought in the UK other than the jack cable and 2 pin transformer.

What sort of trouble could I be in for continuing to use my UK spec phone?

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

ACMA - Bringing telecommunications equipment into Australia FAQs

I purchased overseas a similar model of equipment that is sold in Australia but it does not have the A-Tick mark - can the ACMA confirm it is the same model sold in Australia?

No. The ACMA recommends that you contact the supplier in Australia to confirm the compliance of the equipment with Australian standards. If the equipment is compliant, the supplier may apply the A-Tick mark along with their supplier identification.

Only telecommunications products that carry the A-Tick mark should be connected to a telecommunications network in Australia. It is illegal to connect equipment that does not carry the A-Tick label and penalties can be imposed. If you connect equipment that is not labelled with the A-Tick mark to an Australian telecommunications network, and this equipment causes damage to the network, the Australian carrier may also seek financial compensation from you.

Thanks Nigel. I still believe it's a scam though and I don't imagine the Australians are the only ones using it.

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

It probably comes down to Australian exchanges using different line voltages than other countries,does the UK not have any similar regulations?.

I remember back in the Tandy days (US Radio Shack branding in the UK) that their catalogues had phones that were "prohited from direct or indirect connection" to UK telephone lines, so probably yes.

Given how easy it is to remove what is effectively a modem cable and replace it with a "local" one then there's probably a lot of it going in though.

Guest proud2beaussie

Tandy operates here in Australia too,they used to be franchises from the US but they are now owned by

Woolworths/Safeway,as is Dick Smith Electronics so one company has an effective monopoly on the home electronics store market here.

Cheers

Guest Island Girl

Sorry this is an old thread but just doing some research as returning to Aust. soon from UK and wanted to see if my cordless phone would work. Seems I cannot use it anyway which is fine, I can buy a new Atick one but I have just bought a new laptop especially so I could have all my stuff available and also for real estate and job hunting when I get there. I find it hard to believe one cannot use a laptop with internal modem in Australia if purchased abroad. How on earth do businessmen do their work then when travelling in Australia or overseas students. This is medieval surely. Are they gonna fine every single student or businessman. Do they expect everyone to purchase a new laptop whilst in Oz. Perhaps I am on an old site re Atick. Any advice much appreciated on whether this is an old regulation or if anyone has experience. I have a Sony Vaio so it is a well known respectable brand and would obviously be available in Aust.

The laptop will be fine - it's phones etc that aren't acceptable.

I assume you're talking about wifi and network capability on your laptop, it would be unuusal for an old phone-line style modem to be used for surfing nowdays :)

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

Guest Island Girl

Phew that is a relief! I thought that couldn't possibly be the case with modern laptops or they would have trouble tracking down everyone for a fine? Thx for your help.:smile:

hehehe, I was just reminded by husband that Jon's currently using his laptop (bought in the UK) connected via wifi to our home-broadband :)

lol

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

You shouldn't use your cordless phone here but it will usually still work.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.