advice for motorbike import permit needed please

Guest carolinejane

Guest carolinejane

:huh:My oh would like to bring his prized motorbike in our container. I have had a look on the customs website but i could not seem to find the permit application form. I have emailed them direct but to date i have not heard back from them. Does anyone have the link to the application form so that i can download it? Thank you

Hiya we looked into this and it works out very expensive with the fees and tax's,they wont allow any modifications etc and t has to be able to be converted to Oz spec,unless its an heirloom or an mv id seriously consider selling and buying again once here,have a look on the Oz gov website im sure all the info was there failing that have a search through the transport section of this forum as it was linked on there a fewmonths ago ,,

Cal x

Guest Taz01

I posted off the application for my partners motorbike import approval on Tuesday this week. After reading through all the information I didn't see anywhere that they wouldn't accept a bike that had been modified. It states that they need to know what has been done but provided it meets with the Australian design standards and can be registered in the relevant state then its ok. I believe for a bike it means things like; it has mirrors, indicators, road tyres etc.

My partners bike is worth £1500 in the UK if he sold it, and to buy one the same in Oz it will cost him $9000! Even with the duties, taxes, AQIS and shipping its not going to cost that much!

They say it takes 17 days for the approval to come back so I will let you know in a couple of weeks the outcome.

Eva

I posted off the application for my partners motorbike import approval on Tuesday this week. After reading through all the information I didn't see anywhere that they wouldn't accept a bike that had been modified. It states that they need to know what has been done but provided it meets with the Australian design standards and can be registered in the relevant state then its ok. I believe for a bike it means things like; it has mirrors, indicators, road tyres etc.

My partners bike is worth £1500 in the UK if he sold it, and to buy one the same in Oz it will cost him $9000! Even with the duties, taxes, AQIS and shipping its not going to cost that much!

They say it takes 17 days for the approval to come back so I will let you know in a couple of weeks the outcome.

Eva

Have to agree with Eva.... we are going to take oh's prize possession with us... here it's worth about £5000 so it's def worth our while to do so...

have a look at this: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/importguidePrivOwnMV.pdf

there are links on this

min x:wubclub:

• 2 years later...
Have to agree with Eva.... we are going to take oh's prize possession with us... here it's worth about £5000 so it's def worth our while to do so...

have a look at this: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/importguidePrivOwnMV.pdf

there are links on this

I know this thread is abit old now but can you tell me how you got on with the bike import. Am looking to bring mine with me next month. Have already applied for an "Approval to Import" cert last week. cheers, Rob

Guest proud2beaussie

The previous poster hasn't logged on since last year so I doubt that they will respond to your post Rob,I would suggest that you start a new thread or hope that someone else who has done it recently responds but I doubt that minlady will do so.

I know this thread is abit old now but can you tell me how you got on with the bike import. Am looking to bring mine with me next month. Have already applied for an "Approval to Import" cert last week. cheers, Rob

You will get 4 bits of paper throu the post....and you will need these to show the people who are doing the transportation... at the other end it will be inspected...just make sure the bike is clean and empty of fuel..but dont go too mad...disconnect the battery...you dont need to empty the oil out of the engine... the shippers will take it off at the other end and it will go to be inspected and at that point you will have to pay the import duty...this is based on the value ...we used the Australian RAC to do an evaluation as this works out cheaper than using the rules set out by the customes. Once you have paid customes and it is cleared you then need to get the bike home...we used a local bike transport company..they were really cheap.. if you go to a bike shop in Melbourne and ask i am sure there will be someone who will do it...they will deliver it to your home address.....

you then need to get it going and road worthy.... and then take it to the pits ... to do this you to book an appointment and a small insurance fee to the equivalent of the DVLA you can do this when making the appointment as its the same people. In WA this is about $20 and its about $80 for the inspection.

once inspected you still cant ride it but you get one of the forms you recieved stamped and then you send away for an import plate which takes about a week. When you get the import plate back you have to stick it on the bike somewhere where it can be seen but hidden if you know what i mean...you then need to go back to the pits to show the import plate and get the whole thing signed off... IMPORTANT... if your bike passes the test.... then make sure when you take it back with the import plate on that you make this clear to the inspectors and you will not be charged again for another inspection. you will still have to apy another $20 to insure it to take it to the pitts again. once you have done all that then you will need to pay the GST and at that point you will get plates and you are ready to go.

IMPORTANT... our bike failed on one thing which is the only difference in australia and that is the rear mud guard must be covering 45% of the rear wheel from the vertical with the driver on the bike..ie: no short mud guard at back..... note it looks abit c**p and most people take it off afterwards...have alook on some australian bike sites to see.

hope that helps

Guest proud2beaussie

Well RobD there you go,the previous poster has made a liar out of me !

Thanks for responding minlady.

You will get 4 bits of paper throu the post....and you will need these to show the people who are doing the transportation... at the other end it will be inspected...just make sure the bike is clean and empty of fuel..but dont go too .......................................................................................................and most people take it off afterwards...have alook on some australian bike sites to see.

hope that helps

Thanks Minlady thats great. Such a detailed description. Been reading most posts on here and they only give you bits of the story. But this is absolultey great.

Hope things in Perth are working out for you. We are gettting very excited above the move to Melbourne.

cheers,

Rob :cool:

• 3 months later...
Guest parkey

Hi all.

Sitting here in cold perth, cant believe i had to scrape ice off the car this morning!!

A quick intro... I have lived in oz for over 17 years, all around the country, originally coming over on a years working visa as a 20 year old. Would never of imagined i'd still be here, and consider myself a lucky fella to call oz home, it really is beautiful!

Was wondering if i could give this topic a bump. I'm looking to purchase a bike in the uk, and it seems to me that the bike itself would save me around 8 k minimum.

Minlady, may i ask the estimated costs of freight from england to perth, and if possible any companies you or any other members on here, recommend?

I feel that with the exchange rate as it is, saving are to be had!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for reading,

parkey.

Hi all.

Sitting here in cold perth, cant believe i had to scrape ice off the car this morning!!

A quick intro... I have lived in oz for over 17 years, all around the country, originally coming over on a years working visa as a 20 year old. Would never of imagined i'd still be here, and consider myself a lucky fella to call oz home, it really is beautiful!

Was wondering if i could give this topic a bump. I'm looking to purchase a bike in the uk, and it seems to me that the bike itself would save me around 8 k minimum.

Minlady, may i ask the estimated costs of freight from england to perth, and if possible any companies you or any other members on here, recommend?

I feel that with the exchange rate as it is, saving are to be had!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for reading,

parkey.

No sunshine , you have to owned the bike in the uk for 12 months , do you think everrybody would have done it ,

Guest parkey

Thanks fella, i thought that was the case, i know it is with cars, however i can arrange for the bike to of been owned for a year before shipping it over. I'm in no rush for it.

Just wanted an idea of costs.

Thanks fella, i thought that was the case, i know it is with cars, however i can arrange for the bike to of been owned for a year before shipping it over. I'm in no rush for it.

Just wanted an idea of costs.

Don't want to be a fly in the ointment, but this 12 month ownership thing, you must have owned, had the use of ie. registered and insured, and been in the country with it for a full 12 months, they are quite strict on this.

Guest chris955

Yes that is correct, you must have owned AND used the bike in the UK for 12 months, otherwise everyone would be doing it. :biggrin:

You can bring in any number of pre 1989 bikes without those restrictions.

Guest chris955

The problem with that is the bike needs an Australian VIN plate which it wont have if it is bought in as parts so it couldn't be registered.

Guest CraigandZoe

Hi there peeps, looking to ride in Oz when I get over there. Selling my bike at the mo and looking at getting a commuter style one instead of the super sports I currently ride. Will my license be ok for riding over there without having to do anything special?

Archived