175 Visa: 12 month's experience in 24 months

Guest Tuxmachine

Guest Tuxmachine

One of the criteria for the 175 skilled visa is to have gained 12 months of work experience over the 2 years prior to application.

Is there any discretion for the 2 year period to be extended?

My girlfriend worked for 9 months as an engineer (in Brazil) before realising she would need to improve her english in order to get anywhere in her career as an engineer. To that end, she came to Australia for a year to study english, but in the process decided she wants to live here.

She intends to work for a few months in Brazil in order to get the full 12 month's experience, but by the time she starts gaining experience over there, she will be exceeding the 24 month timeframe. She would need something more like 27 months.

Has the migration department been known to consider applications to extend that 2 year timeframe?

One of the criteria for the 175 skilled visa is to have gained 12 months of work experience over the 2 years prior to application.

Is there any discretion for the 2 year period to be extended?

My girlfriend worked for 9 months as an engineer (in Brazil) before realising she would need to improve her english in order to get anywhere in her career as an engineer. To that end, she came to Australia for a year to study english, but in the process decided she wants to live here.

She intends to work for a few months in Brazil in order to get the full 12 month's experience, but by the time she starts gaining experience over there, she will be exceeding the 24 month timeframe. She would need something more like 27 months.

Has the migration department been known to consider applications to extend that 2 year timeframe?

Welcome to PIO

Well the 12 months has to be within the 24 months period. I don't think DIAC have given any leeway regarding this rule. Is she in Aus right now. Can she search for an employer who will be willing to sponsor her on an ENS visa ?

Archived