16 months in !!! Thinking of going home !!

Guest sunseekers

Pop onto the government website, lots of information regarding benefits for people returning to the uk! There is a section down the left hand side of the page!

If you don't want to return to Blackpool, try Bournemouth, many nice areas not it the main center! I come from Bournemouth so know all the dodgy areas to avoid lol

You're right Bournmouth is a beautiful place.

When we emigrated we had thought about moving down to the South Coast, around there, instead of emigrating. We were living near Manchester at the time and I could have got a job down there. Problem was it just wasn't financially possible, the cost difference in housing was too much and the salary I was offered wasn't much more than I was getting in Manchester.

Made the right move in the end.

We went back on holiday a few years back and went down to Bournmouth as we had told the kids how nice it was. It was a freezing cold wind when we got there and my wife insisted on everyone going onto the pier. First thing that amazed me was we had to pay just to walk on the flaming pier. The kids were all for heading back to the car but no, my wife insisted we would go on the pier and have a good time.

There were a lot of people surfing and my son, who is a keen surfer, remarked on the surf looking pretty good and then said what have they got on their heads. The surfers were all wearing hooded wetsuits. My son just said "why would you bother". I reckon he needs to toughen up personally, i used to windsurf at a dam up in the pennines, but he's been raised in Perth.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for your replies guys...all food for thought.

Does anyone have experience with benefits ? I heard once that if you leave England for any length of time and then come back again you cant get benefits ie family tax credits housing etc anymore...

This sounds hard to believe, has anyone got a story ?

Colette

Yep, stood waiting for a truck for ages in France, trying to pick up an Iraqi accent. Heard it's the only way to get a house and benefits in the UK.

(Sorry I just made this story up).

Guest guest30038
The lakes on its doorstep as well:notworthy:

50 minutes away Pabs...............the only thing that Balckpool had going for it IMHO.........apart for the fact that I like the smell of donkey shlt :biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest30038
thankyou Pablo....we do have to stick up for the northwest....it's got some lovely areas.

Poulton..........just up the road St Michaels and the River Wyre fishing..............Brock Bottom and not too far away Garstang and the canal and Bleasdale fells...........not enough to keep me in Blackpool though, although I do miss my weekends out of there.

kev

you have OBVIOUSLY not been to blackpool for a few years. It has just had £15million spent on the promenade. Dont slag off what you have now idea what you are talking about. It is trying to change its image and if it wasnt for the narrow minded people that would just come to blackpool to get pissed . It has 12 miles of golden sand....NO ****......the pleasure beach, international airport, the tower (spenting millions on it)....a new town centre. The only sad part is the piss heads at weekend.

you have OBVIOUSLY not been to blackpool for a few years. It has just had £15million spent on the promenade. Dont slag off what you have now idea what you are talking about. It is trying to change its image and if it wasnt for the narrow minded people that would just come to blackpool to get pissed . It has 12 miles of golden sand....NO ****......the pleasure beach, international airport, the tower (spenting millions on it)....a new town centre. The only sad part is the piss heads at weekend.

Sounds great, but is it still full of northerners though:eek:

I was a Blackpool landlady for three years and met some lovely people who had wonderful holidays in the town. Blackpool sands are actually excellent, there are amusements galore should the weather be inclement, shows and entertainment at night, an excellent swimming centre and the holiday makers just lapped it up, evident by the number of times they returned. However, with the advent of cheap overseas holidays it suffered as did most of the UK's seaside resorts and it turned to other ways of attracting punters. This has now bit them on the bum so to speak because it is now known for it's culture of hen and stag parties who frequent the many nightclubs in the town. As you say, they are only there to get drunk as a skunk, resulting in rowdy anti social behaviour, vomitting in the streets, and this is during the day. I went with my husband for a weekend not long ago and I was appalled at the behaviour I witnessed, as were other families. I wish Blackpool well for the future, but they must get rid of this sort of 'punter', which I feel might be difficult. I agree there are lovely places around Blackpool and I am sure the residents are unhappy at the way Blackpool is viewed now. The illuminations are now on, which are always good for the hotels/guesthouses, who are struggling in recent years.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Anyone know what the OP decided to do?

JOHN

Hi john

i think he Won first and second prize in a raffle, the first prize was a weekend in Blackpool and the second prize was a fortnight.:laugh:

Only kidding............. i love Blackpool, its sure an eyesore though old and grimey, but it holds fond memories of when i was a kid and i know it has alot of problems and you wouldn't want to live there, but theres loads to do.

I don't know what the OP did.

Hello.

I think your feelings are 100% normal. Everyone I have ever spoken to (even the ones who deny it) feel that life isn't quite right in Oz at some time or another, and sometimes don't even know why. Maybe a trip back to the UK for a holiday if you can afford it, is a blinding idea. You can come back and see exactly why it was you left or you may realise that after all said and done England is the place for you. If you don't come back for a visit then your feelings may pass and you find a different love for Ozzie life or they get stronger and you just have to come home.

Whichever, I wish you all the best and want to reassure you that rough times always mean good times are to come!

Kate

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Hi john

i think he Won first and second prize in a raffle, the first prize was a weekend in Blackpool and the second prize was a fortnight.:laugh:

Only kidding............. i love Blackpool, its sure an eyesore though old and grimey, but it holds fond memories of when i was a kid and i know it has alot of problems and you wouldn't want to live there, but theres loads to do.

I don't know what the OP did.

Plenty of people want to live there Jim, my family and friends included and the place is dear to them thankyou.

Yvonne

You are forgetting, Blackpool is a lot bigger behind the promenade and its life style. I Know lots of people who have lived there and are very happy........it is changing and if i do say so myself looks good. Everywhere in the uk is struggling at the moment. People are coming back as its cheaper than going abroard and with the volcanoe problem earlier this year, its brought more people in. I challenge you all to visit .....It HAS improved.....

3 piccos, you are right the hoteliers are struggling . more than ever. 3000 hotels needs a lot of people to fill them, and i do feel some of them need to be brought into the 21st century.

• 1 year later...
Feel for anyone who is struggling financially.

As for the bland and coming from London I suppose bland may be a word you could use for any countryside.

We had an Aunt who lived in one of those old I suppose tenements is what you would call them in Edinburgh, three flights of stone steps to this tiny flat. Anyway she absolutely hated the countryside, cows, green fields etc were just not her thing, middle of Edinburgh was where she liked to be.

When I was a child after the war we had children come for holidays with us from London to see the countryside as we lived in Suffolk and they found it so strange.

Horses for courses. I guess we have to know what we are like and where we are come from to feel comfortable.

City people are city people and country people are country people.

Unfortunately to live right in the vibrant part of any city has become so expensive.

So I understand how different it must feel to lots of people who migrate.

Hi Petals,

Dont know if you remember me but I contacted you before leaving UK to move to Mornington. We too are thinking of returning as we have been here 6 months and my husband cannot get permanent work, currently in Bunnings as a casual but no sign of full time permanent. Has applied for lots of jobs, but no luck. We bought some land just after we arrived and it turns out to be so narrow we cannot build a house due to setback and easement stipulation. We cannot sell it for the same reasons and that has taken most of our money as we thought we could get a full time job quite quickly and get a small mortgage. How naive were we. We are living with our son and family and they are very fed up with our depression as we dont seem to be able to get ahead. I have MS and been quite sick and fractured my spine due to a fall, so as you can imagine, we are struggling. Sorry to be a winging pom, butdont quite know what to do next and go back and start again.

regards

Yomvard

HI - Just reading your thread - i am a 'returned pom' - who is wishing that she stayed in Oz!! Although i missed UK and family and friends - i didnt realise how much i would miss the aussie way of life, the freedom of being outdoors most of the time and just the general standard of life. My husband has not been able to get a permanent job since we have returned - 3 years in April - he has only had contract jobs - for 18 months out of the 3 years eeek. Myself - i have been a little more fortunate - i have been temping until the end of 2011 and just got a 16 month contract myself.

It is a bit depressing workwise.

I'm sure you have done all the usual - joining clubs etc, maybe move location...

I am posting this to give you another side to think about................we are in the process of looking at visas and returning to Perth.

regards

Skippy59

Hi

May I point you to a post you made not more than a month ago?

We're currently stuck in Singapore, but hopefully heading to the Sunshine Coast within the next 12 months or so. It's been bloody tough here as rent is ridiculous (a basic two bed apartment here will set you back around AUS$2500/month - no that is not a typo), the cost of living is quite high, and work in my sector is thin, with a saturated market of other IT peeps looking for work, all the while grappling to compete with the cheap labour of India, Indonesia and the Philippines. I'm actually looking for bar work at present, it's got that bad.

You seriously want to head back to the UK where it is cold most of the year, the weather is awful, the sea is freezing, and London (or Blackpool) commuters are rude and miserable? May I ask why you came to Oz in the first place? As another thread-poster pointed out, there is no such thing as Utopia, and things are extremely difficult sometimes.

I'm not really sure what I am trying to say, but maybe it is to take stock of your situation, reflect on the rollercoaster ride of the past 16 months and try to see what you have achieved, and the barriers you have broken down, and the potential for a country such as Australia. Things always look greener, but more often that is merely an illusion borne of despair and frustration. If after a good, solid think, you still feel like heading back, then do so. Just make sure it is a 100% committed decision :)

Mike

Mike ......cold in the UK ? .....a bit like today .....mid january .....sun shining .....11c.......working in my garden in a t shirt:biglaugh:

Hi Petals,

Dont know if you remember me but I contacted you before leaving UK to move to Mornington. We too are thinking of returning as we have been here 6 months and my husband cannot get permanent work, currently in Bunnings as a casual but no sign of full time permanent. Has applied for lots of jobs, but no luck. We bought some land just after we arrived and it turns out to be so narrow we cannot build a house due to setback and easement stipulation. We cannot sell it for the same reasons and that has taken most of our money as we thought we could get a full time job quite quickly and get a small mortgage. How naive were we. We are living with our son and family and they are very fed up with our depression as we dont seem to be able to get ahead. I have MS and been quite sick and fractured my spine due to a fall, so as you can imagine, we are struggling. Sorry to be a winging pom, butdont quite know what to do next and go back and start again.

regards

Yomvard

Oh dear, I hope Petals sees your post amongst all these threads.

I am sorry to hear that things have gone pear shaped for you - I hope that you can find your feet again somewhere. It sounds like you have had a lifetime's bad luck in a short period of time! There doesnt seem to be much one can say to make things easier for you.

I am now back in UK and loving it - but we are fortunate in that we dont need to work (at the moment anyway!). Perhaps if you returned to UK you would have an established support network which might, at least, get your husband some work and then you might be able to recoup some of your losses. I am finding the support services here to be absolutely fantastic for my frail aged parents and maybe there are supports you could access which you cant access in Australia.

It's a bu&&er leaving your family behind but, as you said, you arent helping them because you are in a pickle yourselves.

Hope things work out for you

This is the dump you talk about, I don't defend Blackpool often as I'm from Preston but it has had millions spent on it and they are trying to make it better. I love walking down the prom now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326213450.137690.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326213488.284805.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326213450.137690.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326213488.284805.jpg

HI - Just reading your thread - i am a 'returned pom' - who is wishing that she stayed in Oz!! Although i missed UK and family and friends - i didnt realise how much i would miss the aussie way of life, the freedom of being outdoors most of the time and just the general standard of life. My husband has not been able to get a permanent job since we have returned - 3 years in April - he has only had contract jobs - for 18 months out of the 3 years eeek. Myself - i have been a little more fortunate - i have been temping until the end of 2011 and just got a 16 month contract myself.

It is a bit depressing workwise.

I'm sure you have done all the usual - joining clubs etc, maybe move location...

I am posting this to give you another side to think about................we are in the process of looking at visas and returning to Perth.

regards

Skippy59

Hi Skippy,

Is it rally that bad back home too? Trouble is we need to get out of living with our son and daughter in law but just cant get a job to be able to rent. Hopefully if we hang on a bit longer things may improve.

Hope you get back to Perth again and settle.

regards

Sandy

Oh dear, I hope Petals sees your post amongst all these threads.

I am sorry to hear that things have gone pear shaped for you - I hope that you can find your feet again somewhere. It sounds like you have had a lifetime's bad luck in a short period of time! There doesnt seem to be much one can say to make things easier for you.

I am now back in UK and loving it - but we are fortunate in that we dont need to work (at the moment anyway!). Perhaps if you returned to UK you would have an established support network which might, at least, get your husband some work and then you might be able to recoup some of your losses. I am finding the support services here to be absolutely fantastic for my frail aged parents and maybe there are supports you could access which you cant access in Australia.

It's a bu&&er leaving your family behind but, as you said, you arent helping them because you are in a pickle yourselves.

Hope things work out for you

QuollI have come to the conclusion that you are a really nice person.

I always know when I'm reading a reply from you as your replys to posts are

always supportive, friendly and encouraging & that's such a nice quality to have.

I am so glad to read that you are loving the UK.

This is the dump you talk about, I don't defend Blackpool often as I'm from Preston but it has had millions spent on it and they are trying to make it better. I love walking down the prom now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know whether those pictures didn't do it justice but it looks just the same as I remember from 25 years ago.

• 1 year later...

Can't believe you might return to the UK, (Blackpool), after 16 months, having spent that time in Caloundra. That's probably the equivalent of someone travelling all the way from Australia to the UK, and spending 16 months in Blackpool and deciding the UK is not for them. What was it that took you to Caloundra in the first place ?

Archived