16 months in !!! Thinking of going home !!

Guest sunseekers

I don't know why people don't try living somewhere else in the UK first before moving all that way, there are some lovely places.

If you hated the UK that much why would you want to go back there again?

The States in Australia are all so different that if you don't like the one you are in why not move to another before heading all the way back home again.

And on the question of benefits, I know they are trying to cut a lot of them down at the moment but I don't think many people arriving in the country have problems claiming, if you are homeless they will house you.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all....

Been in Caloundra for 16 months and for the last few months had an itch to go home.

Its not home sickness at all, Blackpool is a dump and Caloundra is fabulous i just cannot shake the feeling that life is carrying on in the Uk and i am in some kinda limbo out here missing everything, plus the night life is tragic....thought i would not care, turns out i do......A lot.

Bored.com

Colette x

Hi Collette,

We're not far from you, Buderim, and we too are considering going back to the UK (Hemel Hempstead)

We are a family of 5, been here 2 years this month and it just isn't working out for us, its bloody traumatic, my husband isn't settled at all, the whole work and finances thing isn't going well, I think I could make a go of it, but half the family arn't happy, and the deal was, if either Stewart or myself wern't happy we would call it in.

I feel so confused and unhappy, I love the outdoor life, photography, wildlife etc. but I am sure I will adjust quickly once back, we have great friends and family at home, but I do love Oz and will allways miss it.

Christ why is life so difficult!!

Sally

Guest helen & simon
Hi Collette,

We're not far from you, Buderim, and we too are considering going back to the UK (Hemel Hempstead)

We are a family of 5, been here 2 years this month and it just isn't working out for us, its bloody traumatic, my husband isn't settled at all, the whole work and finances thing isn't going well, I think I could make a go of it, but half the family arn't happy, and the deal was, if either Stewart or myself wern't happy we would call it in.

I feel so confused and unhappy, I love the outdoor life, photography, wildlife etc. but I am sure I will adjust quickly once back, we have great friends and family at home, but I do love Oz and will allways miss it.

Sally

Hi Sally

Couldn't have put it better myself. 'Bloody traumatic' pretty much sums it up for us too.

We are also on Sunny Coast and feel SO trapped at the moment as don't have the finances to go anywhere! :arghh:

Hi Collette,

Sally

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. It is the worst thing when one of the partners likes Australia (or UK for that matter) and the other one doesn't. I had the same problem when I emigrated in 1973 with my husband. He was the original whingeing pom. However, he stayed there and eventually became settled. We left in 1990 to travel Europe and got stuck in the UK when one of our children married. I didn't want to leave any one behind!!! Now we are all on our way back, with our daughter in law and grandchildren!! I can live in the UK or Australia equally well. Now the travel itch has been scratched I prefer the weather and relaxed life style in Australia. I know it isn't very relaxed if you are having financial problems though. but that goes for anywhere in the world. I do know the stress it can place on a relationship though. I would never want to go back to that time again! I wish you and your family all the very best wherever you end up!!

Guest guest32776

There are so many people on this site who just find Australia the blandest place... It is beautiful, has incredible weather and wildlife but somehow lots of us prefer the cold, dreary busy UK. I am in exactly the same boat - I miss the vibrancy and challenge of life, the influence of the European cultures and the 'edginess of big cities' (I am from London). I completely understand the 'I feel like I am dead here' comments - it is incredible that we all took our lives for granted so much before... Shame we don't all live in the same place and could keep each other company.......

Hi Sally

Couldn't have put it better myself. 'Bloody traumatic' pretty much sums it up for us too.

We are also on Sunny Coast and feel SO trapped at the moment as don't have the finances to go anywhere! :arghh:

Hi, where are you living? Personal Message me. Would be good to "talk"! :biggrin:

Sally

Feel for anyone who is struggling financially.

As for the bland and coming from London I suppose bland may be a word you could use for any countryside.

We had an Aunt who lived in one of those old I suppose tenements is what you would call them in Edinburgh, three flights of stone steps to this tiny flat. Anyway she absolutely hated the countryside, cows, green fields etc were just not her thing, middle of Edinburgh was where she liked to be.

When I was a child after the war we had children come for holidays with us from London to see the countryside as we lived in Suffolk and they found it so strange.

Horses for courses. I guess we have to know what we are like and where we are come from to feel comfortable.

City people are city people and country people are country people.

Unfortunately to live right in the vibrant part of any city has become so expensive.

So I understand how different it must feel to lots of people who migrate.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. It is the worst thing when one of the partners likes Australia (or UK for that matter) and the other one doesn't. I had the same problem when I emigrated in 1973 with my husband. He was the original whingeing pom. However, he stayed there and eventually became settled. We left in 1990 to travel Europe and got stuck in the UK when one of our children married. I didn't want to leave any one behind!!! Now we are all on our way back, with our daughter in law and grandchildren!! I can live in the UK or Australia equally well. Now the travel itch has been scratched I prefer the weather and relaxed life style in Australia. I know it isn't very relaxed if you are having financial problems though. but that goes for anywhere in the world. I do know the stress it can place on a relationship though. I would never want to go back to that time again! I wish you and your family all the very best wherever you end up!!

Thanks very much for your message, glad you are all settled now. I wish it was just a case of finances, but its gone beyond that now, its a culmination of things, finances, stu working soo hard he has a god awful back problem, and the general feeling of missing friends and family and just him wanting to be back home. I actually feel quiet depressed this morning about the whole situation. I wish we had come earlier, we sat on our visa for 3 years before coming, had we come sooner, we would only need the 2 years for citizenship, certainly can't be unhappy for another 2 years!!

Sally

Guest christi
There are so many people on this site who just find Australia the blandest place... It is beautiful, has incredible weather and wildlife but somehow lots of us prefer the cold, dreary busy UK. I am in exactly the same boat - I miss the vibrancy and challenge of life, the influence of the European cultures and the 'edginess of big cities' (I am from London). I completely understand the 'I feel like I am dead here' comments - it is incredible that we all took our lives for granted so much before... Shame we don't all live in the same place and could keep each other company.......

Hi Charlie

Aus is a beautiful place, I agree, for us a great place for a holiday,,,not to live.

We are heading home, Ive been "dead" since I got here. I cant wait to head home and have a life again.We took our lives for granted back home, I suppose we thought Aus would have the same vibrancy and selection of choice as the UK.But it would be far better, which we do not find it is.We are quite shocked ,that all of the choice of foods, and shopping the UK has is not here.And what is here is soooooo expensive.

I dont mind the cold weather back home, as there is always loads to do, and I love snuggling up to the gas fire in the evenings

I will never take the UK for granted again,we always think the grass is greener

I certainly did not realise what I had at home, until I came here.Im going to appreciate it loads when I get home,,,thats for sure.

Guest chris955

I think this 'I will never take the UK for granted again,we always think the grass is greener' sums up what so many seem to be experiencing and feeling. It is the expectation that it MUST be better.

Guest guest36762
Hi Collette,

Sally

HEMEL!!!! love it! I grew up there (well, til I was 7)

sounds like you're in a difficult situation, like so many

good luck

I am not far from Buderim or Caloundra, we live at Sippy Downs. I too am feeling homesick at the moment. Fed up of all the struggle and battling to live here on the Sunshine Coast. It's been a battle for work. Just going through immigration C**P aswell. We came over on a temp visa and can now apply for PR - they don't make it easy. Thinking whether it's all worth it.

I can't remember the last time I laughed - used to be such a jolly, happy person. My personality has gone - all the struggling, being away from family has taken it!! Just wish I hadn't jumped into emigrating so quickly.

Guest guest32776
I am not far from Buderim or Caloundra, we live at Sippy Downs. I too am feeling homesick at the moment. Fed up of all the struggle and battling to live here on the Sunshine Coast. It's been a battle for work. Just going through immigration C**P aswell. We came over on a temp visa and can now apply for PR - they don't make it easy. Thinking whether it's all worth it.

I can't remember the last time I laughed - used to be such a jolly, happy person. My personality has gone - all the struggling, being away from family has taken it!! Just wish I hadn't jumped into emigrating so quickly.

Sorry you are feeling homesick. I certainly know the discontentment of being here. Can I ask if it is difficult getting PR from TR if you have fulfilled your visa requirements? Do you need to pay all over again? Makes me wonder whether we should quit now if it is tough to progress....

We have paid to apply for PR yes, then we have hit a problem with meds. The worst thing about it is its my hubbys 17 year old daughter who has no intention of coming to Oz.

I think it's tough - just wish we had been a bit better informed before we came. What visa are you on ?

Was at Chancellor park today getting my Woolies shopping, if you ever fancy a chat, just pm me :)

Guest guest32776
We have paid to apply for PR yes, then we have hit a problem with meds. The worst thing about it is its my hubbys 17 year old daughter who has no intention of coming to Oz.

I think it's tough - just wish we had been a bit better informed before we came. What visa are you on ?

475 visa. We are really in a dilemma as to whether we should just go now or stay the 2 years we need to get the PR and then may be leave. I hope you sort your meds issue out....

It's a long 2 years, that one. What are you studying ? I think when you are on a temp visa it's a bit of a gamble because immigration can change. If you are really convinced that Oz is for you, then battle it out, but if not, if I were you I would break free and go back and save yourself all the expense and heartache:)

Guest guest32776
It's a long 2 years, that one. What are you studying ? I think when you are on a temp visa it's a bit of a gamble because immigration can change. If you are really convinced that Oz is for you, then battle it out, but if not, if I were you I would break free and go back and save yourself all the expense and heartache:)

Its a skilled migration visa - have to live in a regional area and work 12 months regionally to fulfil the requirements. I am pretty sure it is not for us long term but it would be nice to keep our options open and get the PR. Don't intend to buy anywhere here so we won't be committed financially. Does it often happen that you can't progress from a 475 to PR do you know?

We were on a student temp visa. I don't know about the 475 visa, sorry. If you think that you may want to one day in the future, make Oz your base then it may be worth sticking it out. :)

Guest guest32776
We were on a student temp visa. I don't know about the 475 visa, sorry. If you think that you may want to one day in the future, make Oz your base then it may be worth sticking it out. :)

Best of luck with sorting your issues out any way Haylou. Take care

Guest helen & simon
Best of luck to you too :)

Hiya haylou,

Sounds like we are in very similar circumstances. I'm at Warana so not far from you. PM me if you fancy a chat/ get together.

Totally relate to your post about being a different person here - I have forgotten who I used to be - am now just this miserable mess!

Take care :wubclub:

Helen

Guest luton38
Hiya haylou,

Sounds like we are in very similar circumstances. I'm at Warana so not far from you. PM me if you fancy a chat/ get together.

Totally relate to your post about being a different person here - I have forgotten who I used to be - am now just this miserable mess!

Take care :wubclub:

Helen

Hi Helen

Just wanted to say your words have described exactly how I feel :(

I used to be such a happy go lucky person. Since coming here I am so depressed.

Diane

Guest helen & simon
Hi Helen

Just wanted to say your words have described exactly how I feel :(

I used to be such a happy go lucky person. Since coming here I am so depressed.

Diane

Hi Diane :hug:

Crap ain't it? Altough I have to clarify and say that it's not Australia per se that's making me miserable it's just the circumstances. We actually like it here and want to stay but that seems more and more impossible to achieve. I just think when you are struggling financially and emotionally it is hard to see how lovely it is and personally that makes me sadder as I want to enjoy it! Vicious circle or what!:goofy:

Hope things get better for you soon.

Take care

x x

Hi all....

Been in Caloundra for 16 months and for the last few months had an itch to go home.

Its not home sickness at all, Blackpool is a dump and Caloundra is fabulous i just cannot shake the feeling that life is carrying on in the Uk and i am in some kinda limbo out here missing everything, plus the night life is tragic....thought i would not care, turns out i do......A lot.

Bored.com

Colette x

I would suggest going home for a holiday and see how you feel then. I know it's expensive but it might be a lot less than the possibility of moving back and then realising after a couple of weeks why you moved in the first place. That happened to some friends of mine they had been here about 20 years and moved back to the UK. They were back here within 6 weeks and said after the first couple of weeks, when everyone was making an effort to make them feel "at home", they slipped back into the lifestyle and realised why they moved to Aus in the first place. Cost them thousands too, they had even shipped the dog.

Also, if you've only tried Caloundra try somehwere else in Aus. A lot of place have great night life. It may be difficult to just move, i know, but you've moved half way round the world so it might not be as hard as uprooting and moving back to the UK.

Archived