US steps in to poach foreign students....australian universities complaining

Guest darmanin

Guest TheStig

Max impact will happen 2-3 years down the road when the current batch of overseas students graduate and fly off with no new 'cash-cows' coming in to fill their places. Looking forward to the death of the overseas educational sector in Australia. Can't wait.

Guest theluckyrocky

won't take that long, as some of the first year student is already leaving and without new comers, uni cash flow will be axed.

Max impact will happen 2-3 years down the road when the current batch of overseas students graduate and fly off with no new 'cash-cows' coming in to fill their places. Looking forward to the death of the overseas educational sector in Australia. Can't wait.

Without the "cash-cows" won't Uni fees skyrocket for local students? Won't the domestic educational sector be affected as well?

My daughter is very keen to move out of Australia as soon as she finishes school and is actually considering doing her under-grad studies in the US.

Without the "cash-cows" won't Uni fees skyrocket for local students? Won't the domestic educational sector be affected as well?

My daughter is very keen to move out of Australia as soon as she finishes school and is actually considering doing her under-grad studies in the US.

Check out the first article here, regarding colleges in California Bay Area:

Community colleges cash in on foreign students

Guest TheStig

Well domestic students are able to use HECS, which is basically an interest free-loan from the govt to fund their Uni education and start paying back after they start earning >35k after they graduate. But then again exactly how many of them are willing to take up such a high loan is another issue altogether.

Your daughter has made a very wise decision.

Yes domestic fees will rise, but rents may decrease :biggrin: One of the reasons Australia promoted fee paying education for international candidates was both subsidising domestic places, and forseeing the demographic time bomb starting this year putting pressure on state (financial) resources (same time then Labor government under Keating introduced superannuation).

With baby boomers starting to retire in 2010 and existing oldies living longer, they compete with younger generation for government tax income i.e. increasing spending on health care and pensions, that could otherwise be spent on education (and without immigration a decreasing tax base).

Unfortunately there has been a concerted campaign from the conservative side of Australian media and both sides of politics demonising and conflating issues of immigration, population, environment, international students, study to PR, refugees etc., with racial undertones, scaring everyone into believing that we are being "invaded" or over run.

In my opinion it has been quite successful so far, but that does not say much about Australia..... :frown:

Guest VickyMel

If I was a current student in Oz, mainly aimed at long term hopes of PR, I would be tempted to look into the possibility of transferring from a Uni in Oz to another country. Some Unis will credit you for the time spent elsewhere and you may be able to therefore save of some of the monies spent.

Its a two edged sword, there is the opinion that having students from overseas and who have limited english skills actually dumbs down the education. One has to look at the possibility if an educator at a university give marks because the student is paying high fees. Failing such students would do nothing for the reputation of the uni in the markiet place either.

Had this discussion with a person I know who is a university educator a few years ago.

Its the same as fee paying Aus students can get into uni with a lower TER for a course than HECS paying students.

Also I,and I am sure many others always thought we were educating the overseas students so they could return to their own countries and benefit their country with their new found skills.

The sector will either have to propped up by tax dollars and increased fees, or University departments will have to shut. I seem to remember education is Australia's 3rd biggest export? Not great to have it fall by the way side.

It is an expensive business paying overseas fees whether it be the US, the UK or Australia - it's around £12k per year in the UK.

The sector will either have to propped up by tax dollars and increased fees, or University departments will have to shut. I seem to remember education is Australia's 3rd biggest export? Not great to have it fall by the way side.

It is an expensive business paying overseas fees whether it be the US, the UK or Australia - it's around £12k per year in the UK.

I know which is why I have budgeted and saved up enough for both my kids to attend any Uni of their choice without having to worry about loans or scholarships (that would be a bonus).

I dont think that Aussie Govt is oblivious to the impact of immigration policy on education sector. Its calculated and I think Rudd/Gillard Government is happy to let it shrink.

The study -> PR approach ended up bringing lot of people it they didnt end up liking so while its a short term cash boost (uni fees) on long term basis its a disaster (too many studying specific course and not getting required skills at the time).

Guest gratom

Know of someone who returned to UK to do their higher ed'--as she said best decision I ever made.Trouble is doesn't want to go back and parents upset.

Archived