Wife Pregnant While Awaiting 175 Visa - Need Advice

Guest mkokab1

Guest mkokab1

Dear Folks,

My wife is currently 8 weeks pregnant with expected delivery date in mid feb 2011. We are thinking about informing our CO as change of circumstances, but don't know if this will effect our application process. Good thing is, I guess, our medicals are already done, so no more have to worry about X-rays for my wife.

If we are granted visa in next few months, then everything should be fine, we will have time to migrate and settle down in OZ, with our baby coming in Australia becoming a citizen right-a-way.

But if we were granted visa too close to our Initial Entry Date (i.e in Jan 2011 based on PCC submitted), my wife may not be able to fly and settle there in OZ in such a short time, thus putting her visa in jeopardy.

If such circumstances arrive, we may contact our CO to ask for extension to IED but as I read in different forums, the extension of IED is granted rarely.

Even if the extension is given until the birth of the baby, applying for Child Visa is another financial burden (Cost about $1,735) and time consuming process. Normally for Child Visa they take few months, but in our case, if such time comes, ours may be again another battle because sponsor (myself) has to submit his PCCs and they may access the character again as per the questions given in the application form. I am from a very high risk country, and character assesments take extremely long time. Plus getting PCC from USA, where I lived for few years, is another 3-4 months process.

I don't know, what to do? Any good suggestions from you folks are welcome to relieve some pain.

Guest soon2move

hi there, we were in a similar situation but it doesnt cover all of your concerns. applied for our 175 in Nov 09 and few weeks later found out i was pregnant. still hadnt done medicals nor had got allocated a CO. however, about 2 months later we got our CO allocated and we told them quite late that i was pregnant. i think we waited until our police checks had been cleared and they were looking at the meds. obviously it showed up on meds as had extra blood tests done because i was pregnant and protected x-rays. they were fine with it.

We came out to Oz on a working holiday visa when i was 4.5 months pregnant so we could settle and to avoid us getting into trouble with me flying later on. all our meds had been finalised by that point and we were just waiting for the issue of visa but it was taking forever. so we called up and they said that they wouldnt issue the visa because i couldnt fly out of the country to get it issued...which was rubbish because i had another 5 weeks left of flying at the time. we basically contested it with the CO providing a dr's note to say i could fly and surely enough they issued the visa the next morning so flew out to Bali the following week.

It is a gamble going early on a WHV but it worked out for us. FYI - you cant have a dependant on a WHV so my visa would have been cancelled straight away should the 175 not have come through in time. You can get medicare/pregnancy care on a WHV but some things like scans you have to pay for (with perm residency or temp residency).

hope that helps a bit. good luck with it all.

Archived