How many of us are going back in the next couple of months or so...?

Conniebygaslight

Guest chris955

Yes I agree with all that, I'm not sure why people come onto a thread like this and say things that can only make things harder for some especially when it is no more than unsubstantiated opinions.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A 5 minute search of one real estate site revealed 205 houses in the 120-140k range in Somerset, another few minutes gave me numerous houses in the 100-120k range, your figure of 20k a year gives you a 6 times wages figure. Saying a a 3 bed house cost in excess of 250k is like saying a house in Brisbane costs 800k, many do of course but most don't.

I'm all for facts and figures, I like them and I understand you are very happy here and in your opinion the UK is expensive. My research shows that not to be the case.

All I am saying that to say everything is rosey in the sw is not true, as i stated earlier it is ok for you as you have the moeny to buy a property outright but many in those areas struggle due to the influx of second home owners from london/home counties.

just because you personally dont know anyone who is unemployed in that region and everyone owns there house doesn't make that the truth I can post various article re the housing market/employment situation in cornwall does that make them untrue becuase you do not know anyone.

i live in bucks and dont know anyone who is out of work but i know plenty who cannot afford to buy houses because of the sheer cost.

Yes I agree with all that, I'm not sure why people come onto a thread like this and say things that can only make things harder for some especially when it is no more than unsubstantiated opinions.

no where is easy Aus/UK its a fact moving is always difficult and there issues in both countries and you cannot highlight the negatives of country over the other depending on which way you are swaying.

its funny when personal opinions about Aus are told as if fact it ok and anyone who objects has rose tinted glasses yet if about UK no one should dare voice opinion everything should be based on facts (mind you when facts are presented they are still refuted)

Guest dat83

How long have you guys been away from England to so be looking forward to coming back?

sorry im just looking forward to be getting there and it would be nice to see if the things i do like about UK are whats bringing you back.

Maybe you realise theres more things you miss once youve been away a while?

Guest kinks01

Good luck to all moving back it's your decision ????

I am moving back in october and can't wait ,aus suits my lifestyle perfect , can plan a weekend trip in the summer withour fear of it raining is one of many reasons.

But how many that have moved actually surrounded themselves with aussies or just migrated towards fellow poms ???

My parents who moved 3 years ago will never come back , for many reasons 1 they are now mortgage free, work part time , and they are not rich by any means .

I told them when they moved stay away from the brits as all you will do is sit there in groups pining over engalnd and what you think you miss ( beer???? fish and chips????) etc .it just magnifies the problem. I said this as when i went travelling years ago i made a concious effort not to travel with brits , my reason why travel the world and sit there drinkin with fellow county men ,I might have well have gone to the local woking mans club.

Did any of you take up a hobby or just go to work come home go to work come home ? ,

Again good luck to you all who are moving back enjoy but you have missed one of the best summers in 10 years with 7 days consecutive sun :cute:

I am moving back in october and can't wait ,aus suits my lifestyle perfect , can plan a weekend trip in the summer withour fear of it raining is one of many reasons.

But how many that have moved actually surrounded themselves with aussies or just migrated towards fellow poms ???

My parents who moved 3 years ago will never come back , for many reasons 1 they are now mortgage free, work part time , and they are not rich by any means .

I told them when they moved stay away from the brits as all you will do is sit there in groups pining over engalnd and what you think you miss ( beer???? fish and chips????) etc .it just magnifies the problem. I said this as when i went travelling years ago i made a concious effort not to travel with brits , my reason why travel the world and sit there drinkin with fellow county men ,I might have well have gone to the local woking mans club.

Did any of you take up a hobby or just go to work come home go to work come home ? ,

Again good luck to you all who are moving back enjoy but you have missed one of the best summers in 10 years with 7 days consecutive sun :cute:

We are going back for many reasons- we came here for family and they are great but that's unfortunately all that we feel is great for us.

We lived in a lovely village in the UK and we could access so many things/places activities and having 3 children we really feel they are missing out by being here. We feel the education here is behind too unless you are sporty, the academic subjects are way behind where our children are at. There is no preschool for our 4 year old either. My husband earns a realy good salary but to acheieve this he has to commute to Brisbane which adds nearly 5 hours to his day as the city we live near has no real It prospects and none of his level. Yes we could move closer to Brisbane but that is my point in the UK you can live in a small quaint placeand access several cities which makes the job prospects far better for us. We didn't want to live in a city in the Uk and the same goes for here.

We find the way of life here to be too behind what we are used to and the sheer vastness has a huge effect.

We were so close to villages/cities/attractions/coast/farms/theatres/concert venues/country pubs/stately homes/theme parks/lake district/coast/wildlife parks/many,many museums etc etc and could retreat back to a very quiet life every evening without having to drive for hours and hours.

The choice of products and services/food/clothing/books/TV/radio.

Yes I would love the UK to have more sunshine but for us it's where we need to be.

For those that love it here that's great we don't that's all

Guest chris955

When did I say everything is rosey ? I said I don't know anyone who is unemployed and most own their own homes, I didn't say there was no unemployment and everyone can buy a house. Given that the average house where we live here is over 400k the exact same thing applies here.

All I am saying that to say everything is rosey in the sw is not true, as i stated earlier it is ok for you as you have the moeny to buy a property outright but many in those areas struggle due to the influx of second home owners from london/home counties.

just because you personally dont know anyone who is unemployed in that region and everyone owns there house doesn't make that the truth I can post various article re the housing market/employment situation in cornwall does that make them untrue becuase you do not know anyone.

i live in bucks and dont know anyone who is out of work but i know plenty who cannot afford to buy houses because of the sheer cost.

God i'm in a stroppy mood after reading this thread.

Pablo, i'm sure is correct with his insight into the building industry, a subject i know nothing about.

However, as a resident of the northwest i can honestly say i don't know a single unemployed person (god forbid....joke) Seriously though i'm just embarking on my move to oz and i'm really excited, but for those of you coming in the opposite direction don't be put off! I've very happily been living in my leafy suburb for 11 years, never been burgled, friendly neighbours and kids, great schools etc. Kids are still able to sing baa baa black sheep or whatever it's called, we still have nativity plays and god forbid the kids are still taught about Manchester's and the UK's contribution to society, which are on the whole mostly positive and make you proud.

If i listened to the doom mongerers on here i'd live in a cave with lots of red wine.

Good luck to all of you x

And Good luck to you too-we all just want to be happ after all:smile:

Guest chris955

I hope it all goes well for you back here.

The weather is by no means a priority with us, fair enough if it is for you but for us there are many more important things.

We had no idea who lived around us when we bought our place, the people on each side are Aussies and the ones to the front and one at the back are Brits, we get on with all of them and talk the most to the Aussies on one side.

We have hobbies.

If the summers are nice then it's a bonus, if not then life goes on. :wink:

Guest wingywangwoo

i would like to say, when we go back to sunny bournemouth we will be mortgage free, i will be working part time as will my wife as myself being a plumber will not have to work hard at all, i wish i could have seen further than my nose when we made this huge trip out to oz.

at least i dont have to re-study and have a license to do a job i can do with my eyes shut, and in the evenings enjoy decent tv rather than the repeat after repeat of the same rubbish on foxtel, i can have 24 hour unlimited broadband and phone and tv for less than a third than i pay here. i look forward to shopping in tesco and not have to run from shop to shop looking for the cheapest of everything.

if i am going to be ripped off i would prefer it was britain doing it.

i am looking forward to the weather as for the last 3 months here it has been wetter than the uk ever has been lol.

dont get me wrong i love australia as a country and would recommend anyone to live here if they can, just make sure you are rich ,and, watch out if you have a sweet tooth as the price of cakes and sweets(this is for the kids) takes the p@@s

Do we apply the same thinking when the situation is reversed then chris?

I.e your forever pointing out there is pitfalls in australia,does that make things harder for people going the other way then?

Btw my opinions on the "building industry" are'nt unsubstantiated,its fact,im not saying your comment was directed at me btw,just saying thats all.

People giving the "negative" side of oz dont bother me,neither should those pointing out "their" experiences of the UK at the moment bother others either imo.

Just to add,"peacock" ASKED me a question re jobs,so i told him the truth as I know it in MY area,MY industry,as explained,thats all.

Im not in the anti uk brigade OR the pro OZ brigade,i CANT be in the pro oz brigade because i dont live there.

I was asked a question and replied,im sure nothing i or others say will prevent people returning(and nor would i want it to)just as you and others pointing out the pitfalls of OZ wont put people off going there,best of luck to those returning btw,each to their own,i "could" feel the same myself after moving/living in oz,who knows?

I'm going back in October!!! Booked the tickets yesterday but, sadly, also had to book the return ticket as well - end November. But it will be a great holiday, catch up with the aged rellies and son and a whole load of friends who have already been messaging to say "come and stay". How the heck I will fit them all in I have no idea!

So, even though I wont be leaving forever, I will be on the plane and going home for a little while at least! So, anyone leaving 15 October - give me a wave and we can have a natter!

I'm going back in October!!! Booked the tickets yesterday but, sadly, also had to book the return ticket as well - end November. But it will be a great holiday, catch up with the aged rellies and son and a whole load of friends who have already been messaging to say "come and stay". How the heck I will fit them all in I have no idea!

So, even though I wont be leaving forever, I will be on the plane and going home for a little while at least! So, anyone leaving 15 October - give me a wave and we can have a natter!

Your a lucky cow Qaul your always coming home. Best of both worlds

Guest funkymonkey

Just wanted to say, i spoke with my brother at the weekend and he is a carpenter in the south east of England. During the GFC he continued to work, his rates went down quite a bit but he always seemed confident that things would improve. He was saying that now he has more work than he knows what to do with, his money is back to the levels of the boom and he is turning down weekend and private jobs again. He said there is so much building work that has started over the last couple of months and that most of them are big projects which will give him work for a long time.

My SIL, who is a nurse has also just landed a great job, on a higher pay band and she can choose her hours to suit their children.

Just wanted to mention this as we are returning to the UK and have been/are scared and very nervous about the state of the country. So much doom and gloom and bad stories about a country (my country) that is on its knees and where it rains for 9 months of the year and everyone is running for the exit point.

Time will tell for us i suppose but its not all bad and surely if the construction industry is on the up this is a great sign for the future?

Anyway, don't know but just wanted to share it.

Just wanted to say, i spoke with my brother at the weekend and he is a carpenter in the south east of England. During the GFC he continued to work, his rates went down quite a bit but he always seemed confident that things would improve. He was saying that now he has more work than he knows what to do with, his money is back to the levels of the boom and he is turning down weekend and private jobs again. He said there is so much building work that has started over the last couple of months and that most of them are big projects which will give him work for a long time.

My SIL, who is a nurse has also just landed a great job, on a higher pay band and she can choose her hours to suit their children.

Just wanted to mention this as we are returning to the UK and have been/are scared and very nervous about the state of the country. So much doom and gloom and bad stories about a country (my country) that is on its knees and where it rains for 9 months of the year and everyone is running for the exit point.

Time will tell for us i suppose but its not all bad and surely if the construction industry is on the up this is a great sign for the future?

You have got it wrong once again. It Rains 13 monthes of the Year

Guest chris955

I'm sorry mate, I don't know how to tell you this but your relatives are obviously lying to you. I know it must be hard to take but those things cannot be true, the truth is your brother is working for 75p an hour and your SIL has to work 28 hours a day just to afford to put food on the table. I'm so sorry that you have been sucked in like this by your family. :biggrin:

Guest chris955

Remember this last year was particularly bad, it rained for 14 months.

You have got it wrong once again. It Rains 13 monthes of the Year

Guest famousfive

Quoll-

Delighted to hear you are heading home for a holiday.I return next year,approx march,and I have a cunning plan.Have your bags packed because I am coming to your house to batter it in to your husbands head that he is luckier than he can ever imagine to have you as his wife and to get off his arse,pack the bag and bring you home.lol.

Be afraid Mr.Quoll,be very afraid.haha.Might work you know.

Guest guest36762
Quoll-

Delighted to hear you are heading home for a holiday.I return next year,approx march,and I have a cunning plan.Have your bags packed because I am coming to your house to batter it in to your husbands head that he is luckier than he can ever imagine to have you as his wife and to get off his arse,pack the bag and bring you home.lol.

Be afraid Mr.Quoll,be very afraid.haha.Might work you know.

you can't argue with a mad Oirish biddy, well not if she's anything like my mum

Guest famousfive

very true,as we all know mad oirish biddies don't argue they dictate..hahaha,where's my rolling pin,might need that.

Guest guest36762
very true,as we all know mad oirish biddies don't argue they dictate..hahaha,where's my rolling pin,might need that.

I have an image of you 'throwing your head back and laughing like a nutter' (as Pauline Calf might say) with a fierce glint in your eye and your teeth bared...again, just going on what my mum is like

Guest famousfive

Go on,tell me,where have you got the hidden camera?I've checked the flower pot and the knitting basket,where is it?

Apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent yet again.It's the gift of the gab you see[more like a curse at times].

Time will tell for us i suppose but its not all bad and surely if the construction industry is on the up this is a great sign for the future

Thats really good and wish you the best. I think it all depends on the area you move back too, my sil has just finished her nursing and without trying had 2 job offers and has accepted one so of course there is work.

I think people get too blinded when they say no work in Aus/no work in UK yes some area/industries are having a tough time but others are picking up now.

I do not know anyone in any trade so i cannot comment on that but from what i can see more people are getting building work done etc.

as i have said time and time again moving to Aus back to UK is life changing it is a lifestyle choice for most of us we ultimately have the choice as they are both prosperous developed countries I don’t think any of us would think about giving up on Aus if we were going back to a developing country!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well we leave in just over 2 weeks back to good old Blighty. I know that there are a few of us going back very shortly Oz, Dawny, good luck to you and everyone else.

Hope that home is all you want and more.......To those who are still here and don't want to be I wish you all well and hope that you can work things out.

Archived