How many of us are going back in the next couple of months or so...?

Conniebygaslight

Guest siamsusie
Not going back, just curious what is happening there, how the hell can you survive on that sought of money in London.

A close family member who has worked all his life was sacked Peacock about 3 months ago through no fault of his own .. never been on the dole and is in danger of loosing his home... No dole for 8 weeks, 65 pounds a week, has to wait 32 weeks for interest on mortgage to be paid.... has lost his sense of worth considering he contributed thousands over the years on PAYE.... has to attend all sorts of DHSS seminars which are totally useless/.waste of time.....

We are paying his mortgage etc.... luckily the exchange rate is fine for us.... he is family (nephew) so it doesnt enter into our mind but there is no justice at all.....

Peacock, to be honest I lived in Dumfriesshire and I found London cheaper in terms of council tax, food etc because the markets are there, wider variety etc....

Pabs.. I know where you are coming from:notworthy: Susie

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie

I would add Peacock, in my experience and this is experience of London Borough of Tower Hamlets, once you are on the system i.e. the Government paying your colossal rent, council tax etc etc if you manage to secure some "black work" you could well be quids in.... but this is no way of living your life.

Susie

Guest peacock

used to live in the midlands, just warehaouses there, they paid nothing 7 yrs ago and only casual labour, are there many proper jobs left ?

used to live in the midlands, just warehaouses there, they paid nothing 7 yrs ago and only casual labour, are there many proper jobs left ?

What i will say is that agencies dealing with temporary workers are cropping up everywhere,so no need to employ someone when the agencies take away all the hassle.

Personally ive got no time for agencies,cant stand them tbh,each to their own

Guest chris955

I must admit things do seem bad in the North West especially when you look at the rate of unemployment in the South West which is around 3 or 4 % and even 2% in some areas.

hey,

How long did everyone "stick it out" for before they made the decision... Have you been back to the UK for a visit first, or did you just know.

Where is everyone leaving from. Melbourne? Perth? Sydney etc....

AND what has made them make that decision... Did they want to come in the first place.

I hope everyone answers these questions. I am interested in the answers. I too, since arriving (only two months ago) are wrestling with the thought that UK is where I want to be but not sure if its that, or if its Melbourne thats not for us....

HELP>

Been here a week short of a year. Hit a brick wall on day 4 and have never bounced back.

Guest chloew
Been here a week short of a year. Hit a brick wall on day 4 and have never bounced back.

Have been in Melbourne for 2 and a half years, I knew after about 3 months that I wanted to go back the the UK. As I was pregnant we decided to have the baby here so it could have duel citizenship, then decided that if we had another baby it wouldn't be fair if one had both passports and the other didn't.............so luckily we got pregnant quite quickly and number 2 due next month! Once it is born we are making plans to return home.............

We found that the north does not have a lot of job prospects. Might be ok in London and areas but think rest of the UK struggles with work. Everyone seems to work for the government i e health, teachers, support staff for the unemployed. As they say they are going to cut by twenty five percent by natural attrition and not replace the people not looking good for anyone who wants a job.

My oh kept an eye on wages whilst over there and he cannot understand how anyone manages on average wage in UK.

I know its said that being happy is the main thing but if I had a good job in Aus and was getting a good wage I would think about it, as living on air does not make me happy. :laugh:

Hi NP I think you'll find that Chris was being rather tongue in cheek- he loves the UK and is making reference to the comments we have from other people who say it rains in the UK every month of the year and it's full of hoodies

Unfortunately Chris was right, it does rain all the time here and there are many many hoodies. Things here are no bed of roses believe me!!

Guest chris955

I was being sarcastic, I have many friends in the UK and it doesn't rain all the time and there aren't hoodies on every corner, at least not where my friends are.

Unfortunately Chris was right, it does rain all the time here and there are many many hoodies. Things here are no bed of roses believe me!!

Guest chris955

I think you will actually find that many areas don't struggle, the South West for example has something like 3 or 4% unemployment and many other areas are the same. The overall rate is made high by those areas such as the North and some regions in the Midlands where the rate is up near double figures. It just isn't accurate to say the whole country outside of London is struggling, the figures just don't back that up. As for everyone working for the Government, I don't personally know anyone who works for the Government and it seems to be an incredibly sweeping statement. The latest figures also show that unemployment DROPPED in the last 3 months, I realise cuts will be made, they have to be made but lets not have everyone out of work just yet :wink:

We found that the north does not have a lot of job prospects. Might be ok in London and areas but think rest of the UK struggles with work. Everyone seems to work for the government i e health, teachers, support staff for the unemployed. As they say they are going to cut by twenty five percent by natural attrition and not replace the people not looking good for anyone who wants a job.

My oh kept an eye on wages whilst over there and he cannot understand how anyone manages on average wage in UK.

I know its said that being happy is the main thing but if I had a good job in Aus and was getting a good wage I would think about it, as living on air does not make me happy. :laugh:

Guest gratom

Chris955 is right concerning jobs etc--last friday I saw an advert in the window of a national chain of chemists for both f/t and p/t staff.Went and enquire on behalf of neice[fancy's changing job] and the manager said they were desperate for staff across much of the southern half of the country[she had no knowledge of the north].Later that day saw two shop window ads for p/t staff for saturday jobs or flexible hours.Remember;only about one in ten jobs goes through the gov't jobs system of jobcentres.Many posts are filled by word of mouth and via friends.This is particualrly true of p/t posts.:laugh:

Guest Rachel&Stu
Thank you, always good to hear we made the right decision! Can't wait to experience everything that Norfolk as a whole has to offer.

Rachel :biggrin:

Just to add my bit too....both my (grown up) kids live & work in Norwich....we get across there every few weeks.

It certainly is a lovely city...seems to have some good job opportunities, great transport links, and beautiful countryside. Good luck with your move back:cute:

I realise you were being sarcastic in the thread, but still think it was a pretty correct sarcastic comment! Obviously I am biased as really want to get to Australia. The UK is not as it was, its not a place I would want to carry on raising my kids.

I think you will actually find that many areas don't struggle, the South West for example has something like 3 or 4% unemployment and many other areas are the same. The overall rate is made high by those areas such as the North and some regions in the Midlands where the rate is up near double figures. It just isn't accurate to say the whole country outside of London is struggling, the figures just don't back that up. As for everyone working for the Government, I don't personally know anyone who works for the Government and it seems to be an incredibly sweeping statement. The latest figures also show that unemployment DROPPED in the last 3 months, I realise cuts will be made, they have to be made but lets not have everyone out of work just yet :wink:

Hope you are right but Standard and Poor are thinking of downgrading UK

Guest chris955

No offence to you but Essex wouldn't be high on my list of places to raise kids either. :biggrin:

I realise you were being sarcastic in the thread, but still think it was a pretty correct sarcastic comment! Obviously I am biased as really want to get to Australia. The UK is not as it was, its not a place I would want to carry on raising my kids.

yes there maybe jobs in south west but do not pay the salaries that are needed to but any property there is out of there reach due to the property boom and second home owners.

in your case chriss i believe you have the money to set up there for someone like to me move there i wouldn't get a job in my industry or be able to afford a house...

its all swings n roundabouts i have a friend who is looking to locate back to cornwall to raise her kids but is waiting a few yrs as her husband would not be able to a get the work he is trained in unless he commutes a fair bit i.e. exeter/plymouth/bristol

Lets face it some people have done very well in the UK whether this continues is in the lap of the gods. However they have done very well at the expense of a lot who have not done so well.

Its easy to say get everyone back into work in the UK, what work, not everyone is highly educated or skilled. The asian countries make sure that automation does not take jobs from the non skilled but that is not how it works in the west. Yes there may be part time, casual jobs but the money they provide is not enough for the cost of living in UK and still has to be topped up.

How many times do I read of business owners saying staff is too expensive, well its swings and roundabouts, either employ them or pay for their gyro.

There are bludgers everywhere but you never get rid of them, however a lot of people just want to work but there is none.

Guest chris955

Property boom ? In the UK ? So it's a similar situation to many places here were prices have risen too high for many people to get on the ladder, is that what you are saying ? From my research housing is really affordable but you are right it does depend on your salary.

Property boom ? In the UK ? So it's a similar situation to many places here were prices have risen too high for many people to get on the ladder, is that what you are saying ? From my research housing is really affordable but you are right it does depend on your salary.
\

most of the jobs in sw are based in the tourism industry are exactly not very high and if a 3 bed house cost in excess of 250k n you earn 20k (that 20k maybe genreous) it is going to be very hard (talking about cornwall it is one of the poorest areas in the country and house prices area 246k)

Guest Magnetic6
Dont know mate! housesharing etc i would imagine,as i say,im in the north west and its WOEFULL up here trying to find work,ive been setting brick nearly 30 yrs,had some iffy times in the past but NOTHING like now,thats the building industry btw,cant comment on other industrys.

God i'm in a stroppy mood after reading this thread.

Pablo, i'm sure is correct with his insight into the building industry, a subject i know nothing about.

However, as a resident of the northwest i can honestly say i don't know a single unemployed person (god forbid....joke) Seriously though i'm just embarking on my move to oz and i'm really excited, but for those of you coming in the opposite direction don't be put off! I've very happily been living in my leafy suburb for 11 years, never been burgled, friendly neighbours and kids, great schools etc. Kids are still able to sing baa baa black sheep or whatever it's called, we still have nativity plays and god forbid the kids are still taught about Manchester's and the UK's contribution to society, which are on the whole mostly positive and make you proud.

If i listened to the doom mongerers on here i'd live in a cave with lots of red wine.

Good luck to all of you x

Guest chris955

Thanks for that post Magnetic, I shake my head at times when I read some of the stuff people write. I also don't know anyone without a job, I don't know anyone who works in the tourism industry and all but one of our friends own their own house and have at least 1 holiday a year.

Good luck with your move, all the best.

Guest chris955

A 5 minute search of one real estate site revealed 205 houses in the 120-140k range in Somerset, another few minutes gave me numerous houses in the 100-120k range, your figure of 20k a year gives you a 6 times wages figure. Saying a a 3 bed house cost in excess of 250k is like saying a house in Brisbane costs 800k, many do of course but most don't.

I'm all for facts and figures, I like them and I understand you are very happy here and in your opinion the UK is expensive. My research shows that not to be the case.

\

most of the jobs in sw are based in the tourism industry are exactly not very high and if a 3 bed house cost in excess of 250k n you earn 20k (that 20k maybe genreous) it is going to be very hard (talking about cornwall it is one of the poorest areas in the country and house prices area 246k)

Guest famousfive

The people who are going back home do so for various reasons and most I would say are not financial ones.I have read the posts here of those returning and they all seem like fairly smart people to me who would not make such a decision lightly or without research.

I am one who is returning,albeit to Ireland which is even more of a financial basketcase,and I have a better understanding of what I am returning to than most would have of ausralia when they decide to move there.

Houses expensive?Maybe,not the end of the world though as we can always rent first.

Jobs scarce?Probably,but anyone able to move half way across the world will surely move to an area at home they can find work in.

Doom and gloom is all well and good but it seems a bit ingenious to be trying to add to the worries of those returning when in all honesty they have enough on their plates as it is.

I myself am moving to a rural area with seasonal employment and I couldn't care less.My family and I have never been out of work there or been on the dole even through the meltdown of the irish economy in the 80's.

Home is not a nirvana but believe me i've been to oz a few times and it's not nirvana either.

Archived