Reasons not to come to Oz

Guest TA01085

Guest sunseekers
"but cannot shake being BORED BORED BORED !!"

And I thought intelligent people never got bored...

But, just to help you...From Chuck Gallozzi

http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/

Just in case you have occasional bouts of boredom, here is a list of additional things you can do.

• If you’re bored, do something useful. Such as, creating a list of things to do when you’re bored. Keep adding to the list; keep it handy, and refer to it whenever you’re bored.

• When you were a child, mommy placed you in a room full of toys. But now, you are an adult, so stop wanting to have everything done for you. Accept responsibility for your own happiness.

• Awaken the curiosity of your childhood. There are whole new worlds to discover.

• Boredom is not caused by a lack of things to do as much as an unwillingness to do anything. So, develop your will by taking action. It’s okay to feel lazy and bored, but choose an activity and do it anyway.

• Boredom is also a cry for change. But not superficial or meaningless changes, such as switching from one bar to another. Rather, it calls for substantial change, such as replacing your nightlife with night school.

• Refresh your body by taking a walk or exercising. Boredom can simply be a sign that your body needs reinvigorating.

• Visit the park, for besides pond scum, you’ll find gentle breezes, melodious birds, chirping insects, the scent of moist trees, the fragrance of blossoms, glittering streams, scurrying squirrels, the sound of children at play, park benches, hot dogs, elderly people leisurely taking a walk, and much more.

• Set goals. They give you something to plan, tasks to do, and the pleasure of looking forward to achieving them. Those who lead goal oriented lives are never bored and experience exhilaration with each accomplishment.

• If you’re retired, get a part-time job or become a volunteer. Don’t sit around the house if you can be out, contributing to life.

• Find out what you like to do, and do it!

• Explore the arts. Study poetry, water color painting, how to play the piano. Join a choir.

• Get a pet; visit the library; attend an outdoor concert, carnival, or festival.

• Study pottery, line dancing, or public speaking.

• Learn how to play chess, bridge, or Mah-Jongg.

• Maintain an active life. If it’s rest you’re looking for, you’ll find boredom. If it’s activity you’re looking for, you’ll find rest.

• Take a cooking or computer course.

• Read books about the universe, wild life, nature, or photography.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bobj,

I might just keep that for future reference....pretty cool !!

Your quite right too, funny you highlighted the sentence that most applies. I actually dont want to do anything !! My whole life iv been a go getter going from one challenge to another, absorbing myself in activities and relationships... All of a sudden life seems to have stopped. It started slowing when i got here and got worse and worse till it came to a giant stand still. This is not Australia's fault !! Even i dont understand it if im honest .. I will say that the lack of night life cannot be replaced by a night school class though...ha ha..

Colette x

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36762
"but cannot shake being BORED BORED BORED !!"

And I thought intelligent people never got bored...

But, just to help you...From Chuck Gallozzi

http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/

Just in case you have occasional bouts of boredom, here is a list of additional things you can do.

• If you’re bored, do something useful. Such as, creating a list of things to do when you’re bored. Keep adding to the list; keep it handy, and refer to it whenever you’re bored.

• When you were a child, mommy placed you in a room full of toys. But now, you are an adult, so stop wanting to have everything done for you. Accept responsibility for your own happiness.

• Awaken the curiosity of your childhood. There are whole new worlds to discover.

• Boredom is not caused by a lack of things to do as much as an unwillingness to do anything. So, develop your will by taking action. It’s okay to feel lazy and bored, but choose an activity and do it anyway.

• Boredom is also a cry for change. But not superficial or meaningless changes, such as switching from one bar to another. Rather, it calls for substantial change, such as replacing your nightlife with night school.

• Refresh your body by taking a walk or exercising. Boredom can simply be a sign that your body needs reinvigorating.

• Visit the park, for besides pond scum, you’ll find gentle breezes, melodious birds, chirping insects, the scent of moist trees, the fragrance of blossoms, glittering streams, scurrying squirrels, the sound of children at play, park benches, hot dogs, elderly people leisurely taking a walk, and much more.

• Set goals. They give you something to plan, tasks to do, and the pleasure of looking forward to achieving them. Those who lead goal oriented lives are never bored and experience exhilaration with each accomplishment.

• If you’re retired, get a part-time job or become a volunteer. Don’t sit around the house if you can be out, contributing to life.

• Find out what you like to do, and do it!

• Explore the arts. Study poetry, water color painting, how to play the piano. Join a choir.

• Get a pet; visit the library; attend an outdoor concert, carnival, or festival.

• Study pottery, line dancing, or public speaking.

• Learn how to play chess, bridge, or Mah-Jongg.

• Maintain an active life. If it’s rest you’re looking for, you’ll find boredom. If it’s activity you’re looking for, you’ll find rest.

• Take a cooking or computer course.

• Read books about the universe, wild life, nature, or photography.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob

its all very well if you like fishing

Guest peterd869

yer but i would leave but i have son here and i am not willing to leave him here with no:

Healthcare

No police

good chefs

healthcare

transport

bogans everywhere

50 years behind the rest of the world

for your information afganistan has good technology. look at there IEDS

Guest peterd869
Hi all - been in Oz 16 months

Well i find myself in a place of eating my words, after continually spouting how wonderful Australia is..... I am literally sat writing good and bad lists for Oz and the Uk .. Im thinking of coming home...

This is absolutely bananas on the face of it because Caloundra is absolutely beautiful, clean, safe, friendly, upbeat etc etc. I have lots of friends ( ALL AUSSIES ) but cannot shake being BORED BORED BORED !!

You might think how can you be bored with so many fab places to go but I cant help it i just am !!! I miss a life with a bit of grit, culture, character, decent telly and for god sake a night life !!

I look around and cant believe i want to go home ( grotty Blackpool ) but i do !! Its been a feeling iv been pushing away for months but i think its kinda overflowing into reality now..... I Dont know what to do because its obviously so much better here for my kids but im starting to get depressed living a none life!!

Thought id share my pro's and con's list with you....Please be aware these are just my humble opinions and by no means facts:

Australia Pro's

Weather

Health service ( dr's appointments the same day )

Lovely schools / Nursery's

Beautiful places to visit....Parks, beaches, mountains etc etc

Much nicer friendlier people ( IN MY OPINION )

Safer

Australia Cons

Rubbish night life

weird groundhog day feeling

BORING

Dark by 7pm latest year round

Need qualifications and licenses to go for a Poo !!

Cost Of food

Insects

Poorly insulated housing ....gets bloody cold !! plus i miss carpets and being cosy

Expensive housing

Crap Tv - Even Foxtel

Lack of culture / character

Just my thoughts x x

yer agreed with most of your post after about a year it all went bad.

miss having a beer in london the most with all the culture

Guest guest36762
yer but i would leave but i have son here and i am not willing to leave him here with no:

Healthcare

No police

good chefs

healthcare

transport

bogans everywhere

50 years behind the rest of the world

for your information afganistan has good technology. look at there IEDS

what's with the no 'healthcare'?

Guest peterd869

well i am in melbourne please tell me where i can get a good doc/hospital.

My wife and son nearly died at the royal womens

I had an op with no pain killers at sandringham hosp

i was in box hill. they thought i broke my neck and was left on a trolley for 5.5 hrs

fell off my motor bike when to box hill and the triage nurse did not even look at me and just want to know what happened. when i saw the doc he cracked cos what was on the sheet was no what i had.

need my list go on??

Guest guest36762

i was in box hill. they thought i broke my neck and was left on a trolley for 5.5 hrs

fell off my motor bike when to box hill and the triage nurse did not even look at me and just want to know what happened. when i saw the doc he cracked cos what was on the sheet was no what i had.

need my list go on??

These are personal experiences, admittedly unpleasant ones, but.....

you get such anecdotal accounts everywhere (Oz, UK, US wherever)

It doesn't mean that the service you received wasn't poor, but you cannot extrapolate personal experience to the whole healthcare system

Guest Guest31881
These are personal experiences, admittedly unpleasant ones, but.....

cannot extrapolate personal experience to the whole healthcare system

Gee dom, stop using big words, I had to look it up incase you were swearing :biggrin::wink:

Guest guest36762
yer but the trouble is alot of the nurses in england can not speak english lol

Huh?

I thought you were slagging off the health system in Oz

There are a lot of foreign nurses in UK hospitals (I'd guess mostly Phillipinos and Aussies), so what?

Guest siamsusie

need my list go on??

Melbourne has some fine award winning restaurants some incorporate British chefs:wink:

Dont you have Police in Melbourne?:biggrin:

Its wrong to blame a hospital , the staff maybe, but this incompetency can happen anywhere in the world

50 years behind....... never visit Tasmania then, I consider myself lucky to have a land line with a party line:laugh:(certain parts in the sticks may I add lol)

You have a great Airport, one of the best in Australia, maybe try another state... I would hate to be so miserable and there are always other options hopefully for you Peter!:wubclub:

Susie

NB I would love to take you to the Royal London for a shift! now thats an experience and I guarantee you will be running back to Melbourne Peter!

Guest guest36187

Being on a trolley for 5.5 hours! In my old local in east london yuo were lucky to get off a trolley and into a ward under 18-24 hours. Doesnt mean that it was not good care. Nurses are only able to do what they can with the tools they have. As Harpodom says.....its your opinion, not fact of all Australia

Guest peterd869

east london where abouts?

I'm from Ilford.

I remember being in king georges on barley lane for 8 hrs for stiches in my arm but the waiting room was packed and nurses every where.

here the waiting room's are empty and nurse just sitting around doing nothing

Guest guest36187

You`re talking to the wrong person if you wanna have a conversation about nurses doing nothing. I AM a nurse and have worked bloody hard at it for last 20 years!

I was born in Romford and lived just by Goodmayes Station

Guest peterd869

ok on the subject of the police.

My next door neighbour is a druggy and was beating his girlfriend (I hate violence esp on women and kids) it was 11 pm. I can here her calling for help I called the police. 20 min wait was not bad.

Two female cops came and they where ****ting theselves and I was the one to go in the appartment and pull this women with blood all over her head. Shouted at the guy to sit on the sofa. when the guys came it was already over and we just waited for the ambo's.

There i was thinking the women chose to be a police officer they carry a gun and cap spray and they where hiding behind me?

Guest guest17301
east london where abouts?

I'm from Ilford.

I remember being in king georges on barley lane for 8 hrs for stiches in my arm but the waiting room was packed and nurses every where.

here the waiting room's are empty and nurse just sitting around doing nothing

Love it!! What an extremely educated and well thought out reply!

Guest peterd869

well no it was not thought out it was a off the cuff reply. this is a forum group not a board report!

Guest famousfive

Some things here are better than at home,some things worse.

Some items more expensive,others cheaper.

Some people here are friendly,others not.

Some expats make a great living here,others struggle.

Some love the heat,others hate it.

What is universal for all who come here?It's different.

The only reasons not to come here have nothing to do with the country as far as I can see.

If you have no exit strategy then this is good reason not to come,at least until you are in a better position financially.Many who find they don't like it here get stuck for a long time or forever.

If you have never been before try and have a long holiday first,if you would not move 100 miles down the road without checking it out then you would be mad to move half way across the world without doing the same.

It is a wonderful place in many ways but like every other country it is not for all,this should not put anyone of coming but likewise it should not make people throw caution to the wind and risk everything to come here.

I like to take risks like the best of them but not on something so life changing without a get out clause.

Guest sunseekers
dont get me wrong australia is a good country, just the people in it are not!! lol

Wow i dont know where you are but i find the people here are wonderful.... They opened there life's to me without a flinch, introduced me to there circle and could not have been more happy to help me in any circumstances.

I thought i would be-friend other ex pats when i got here but near all my best friends are Aussies... Wonderful people.

As for the health service. ..Where i am iv had first hand experiance of hospitals and doctors and can only say the service has been flawless. The sweet kindness of the nurses here beats the bitter one's in the UK for me everytime.

And this is coming from someone who wants to come home !!

Iv attached a pic of me with some of my lovely Aussie friends..... How you can say they are unpleasant people is beyond me ...

Archived