Reasons not to come to Oz

Guest TA01085

WOW.

I have joined this forum because my husband and I are thinking of moving to a new life in Australia and I specifically looked at this thread because everyone and everywhere seems to sing the praises of living in Australia. I wanted to get a balanced view and find out some negatives that would need taking into consideration because the grass isnt always greener.

8 pages and about 7 posts that mention negatives. Very informative.

Of course negatives are just an opinion, there is no need to argue that, but if you have found a downside to moving to Australia, perhaps it is a good thing that you share it so people like me can make an informed opinion based on others real life experiences.

If you want a balanced view and negatives, there might have been a positive somewhere, ask our expert in all Australian matters Aldo!

He will tell you as it is from his vast experience and time in this great land!:wink:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I think the most important thing for prospective immigrants to remember is that this country has all the same problems as the country you are leaving, in the case of a normal Western country not war torn countries obviously.

We have a crime rate similar to the UK, we have high prices, lots of rules and regulations, high mortgage rates etc. These aren't negatives just the reality.

There are many good positives but also many negatives exactly the same as where you are.

WOW.

I have joined this forum because my husband and I are thinking of moving to a new life in Australia and I specifically looked at this thread because everyone and everywhere seems to sing the praises of living in Australia. I wanted to get a balanced view and find out some negatives that would need taking into consideration because the grass isnt always greener.

Of course negatives are just an opinion, there is no need to argue that, but if you have found a downside to moving to Australia, perhaps it is a good thing that you share it so people like me can make an informed opinion based on others real life experiences.

WOW. 8 pages and about 7 posts that mention negatives. Very informative.

I've often said that the FACTUAL negative posts are the most valuable parts of PIO. Nobody should make a life change as big as moving to Australia without checking the facts, warts and all. Australian streets are not paved with gold, it can get chilly here in winter--and you're a long way from home.

However, all too often the negatives expressed are NOT factual. They're just very biased opinions. "I had trouble making friends" is a fact--for some people. "Australians are stand-offish and hate Pommies" is an opinion--and one not shared by most of us who have moved here. I have a large circle of Australian friends after 3 years here--and have never gone looking to find other Brits. I'm in Australia and just take people as they come.

So...by all means do your research, including reading this forum. However, learn to read between the lines and discount anybody who makes Australia seem too perfect or too horrible. Australia is a place like any other, with good and bad points. Most of us on this forum are the lucky ones because we have a choice of places to live. I've chosen Australia, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to the faults. However, on balance, I like it here!

Bob

I agree totally it does cost thru the roof but whats money if your that unhappy! We will be spending half our life savings too.

Thats okay, so long as your all unhappy.... its a bit more difficult when half the family love it and the other half of the family don't.

I am not slagging of Australia in any way and would be the first to admit there are many many positives about this country, however, I do miss so many things about home and I would go home tomorrow, if I could along with our eldest daughter, however Eammon and our youngest absolutely love it here. I'm trying to get on with it and give it a go, but certainly don't consider myself (or the countless others on here who might not be liking it as much as they thought) as a whinger when I express my opinion or feelings - sometimes it helps to get it out and to know there are others out there who feel the same way!!!

Thats okay, so long as your all unhappy.... its a bit more difficult when half the family love it and the other half of the family don't.

I am not slagging of Australia in any way and would be the first to admit there are many many positives about this country, however, I do miss so many things about home and I would go home tomorrow, if I could along with our eldest daughter, however Eammon and our youngest absolutely love it here. I'm trying to get on with it and give it a go, but certainly don't consider myself (or the countless others on here who might not be liking it as much as they thought) as a whinger when I express my opinion or feelings - sometimes it helps to get it out and to know there are others out there who feel the same way!!!

Hope you get sorted Denise-have't seen you on here for a while so hoped you were settling in. Connie x

Guest chris955

But equally many of the positive posts are far from factual and are very biased opinions, I agree each should be based on facts and not just a personal experience that is then used to cover the whole country.

However, all too often the negatives expressed are NOT factual. They're just very biased opinions. "I had trouble making friends" is a fact--for some people. "Australians are stand-offish and hate Pommies" is an opinion--and one not shared by most of us who have moved here. I have a large circle of Australian friends after 3 years here--and have never gone looking to find other Brits. I'm in Australia and just take people as they come.

Bob

Guest daisybumbleroot
But equally many of the positive posts are far from factual and are very biased opinions, I agree each should be based on facts and not just a personal experience that is then used to cover the whole country.

Hey all thanks for the replies and welcomes to my post!

I think what you guys are objecting to is sweeping generalisations about an entire nation - that I agree with and take with a pinch of salt.

Facts are indeed good, but so is personal opinion too (imo) - its a different angle to a subject. If someone came on here and said (for arguments sake, i know its a crap example) "I dont like it that there are so few brands of cider available in the bars over here in Brisbane and the few brands there are, taste like dishwater". Its a fact and opinion based statement :) but might make a zoider luveerrrrrr think about how much they are going to miss their cider!

but thanks for the replies x

Guest chris955

Yes I agree, I have read many times where people make incredibly sweeping generalisations about the whole country and to me it makes them seem like an unreliable source of information. I'm sure most people do take the statements with a huge pinch of salt and can sort the wheat from the chaff but many others don't seem able to.

For those already here in Oz lets see how many contributors we can get to list what really hackd you off about the place.

I will start off with false image the place has as being laid back, which is just not the case.

The flies - even at the top of Kosciusko. Evil.

The birds are a bit noisy too.

Ice-creams melt too quickly in the heat.

Guest TA01085
WOW.

I know when we were getting ready to emigrate 5 years ago, We had fallen into the trap of finding everything in the UK to be wrong and "gone to the dogs" and had to a certain extent put the blinkers up about any potential isses in Oz. I now know that the UK does not have any more faults than Oz and has certainly not "gone to the dogs" and I should have appreciated it more.

Guest chloew
The flies - even at the top of Kosciusko. Evil.

The birds are a bit noisy too.

Ice-creams melt too quickly in the heat.

Oh yes, the flies...........I'm worried my daughter's first words will be "effing flies"

Oh yes, the flies...........I'm worried my daughter's first words will be "effing flies"

either that, or it will be "The birds, mummy, the birds!" or "Mummy, where's my ice cream gone!!!"

But other than that it is all good (in my experience!)

Cheers and good luck!

Guest chris955

Exactly, as an English friend said to me a few weeks ago potential immigrants or just people in general have a very romanticised view of the way things are here. Pack your bags and leave all your troubles behind, it just doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

I know when we were getting ready to emigrate 5 years ago, We had fallen into the trap of finding everything in the UK to be wrong and "gone to the dogs" and had to a certain extent put the blinkers up about any potential isses in Oz. I now know that the UK does not have any more faults than Oz and has certainly not "gone to the dogs" and I should have appreciated it more.

Guest shark

very true the UK as" not gone to the dogs " its the best place to be right now with all the cuts ,no jobs ,and all the debt we have to pay back.

Guest chris955

So there are no jobs even though unemployment is around 8%, doesn't that leave 92% ? EVERY country in the world is burdened with huge debt that has to be paid back.

very true the UK as" not gone to the dogs " its the best place to be right now with all the cuts ,no jobs ,and all the debt we have to pay back.

Exactly, as an English friend said to me a few weeks ago potential immigrants or just people in general have a very romanticised view of the way things are here.

Sweeping generalisation?:wink:

Pack your bags and leave all your troubles behind, it just doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

I agree you cannot simply leave your troubles behind - most troubles stick. You have to address them now or later. But for some "You gotta go there to come back".

Cheers.

Guest guest36762

keep it coming mate, this makes me feel good

Guest shark

Exactly, as an English friend said to me a few weeks ago potential immigrants or just people in general have a very romanticised view of the way things are here. Pack your bags and leave all your troubles behind, it just doesn't work like that I'm afraid.
that could be said for allot off Aussies going to the UK, having romanticised view of the way things are here.:wink:

Guest chris955

Absolutely right. I am heading over in 2 months for a few weeks just to make sure things are how many people are telling me (generally fine) although that isn't the main reason for the trip.

that could be said for allot off Aussies going to the UK, having romanticised view of the way things are here.:wink:

Hardly-I've not seen a romanticised view about the UK anywhere! The Aussie's are taught from a very young age that this is the lucky country. Us Brits are so negative which can be a pain but Inow see it that it's simply becasue we are better informed and are encouraged to have an opinion-here Australia is rammed down your throat so much you are forced to believe, believe, believe....a bit scary to be honest.

Lots of Aussies think the Uk is a dreadful dreary grey place with high crime and terraced houses no space or greenery. However when they go it's a different story.

Guest chris955

I can't believe how close that post is to exactly how I feel about it, I have always put it down to a lack of insecurity in the UK about where we sit in the scheme of things. The UK is a world power, some will obviously disagree but facts are facts I'm afraid.

Guest shark

EVERY country in the world is burdened with huge debt that has to be paid back.
hope you have plenty of money Chris ,because we have a hell off allot to pay off :yes:

Archived