Guest scot2oz

help or we will be homeless...............

Guest scot2oz

hope someone can help......

We are moving to the gold coast in october (21st) to be exact at at this moment in time we have no where to go to. I have searched through realestate and all these sites and it is difficult to secure a rental when you still live in the uk. i understand this but where do we live until then. i have 2 young kids and dont know if a hostel would be any good but other short term rentals that we have seen are asking for $1000 per week which we cannot afford. where else can we try.... and where does everyone else go. If there are any agencies that allow you to secure a rental before you arrive then please let us know.

thanks

Have you thought about something like a caravan park whilst you look for longer term accommodation such as this: Prices for Ashmore Palms' short term, self-contained interim cabins | Ashmore Palms Holiday Village

Offshore partner visa sent 2/6/10, signed for 3/6/10, money taken 7/6/10, CO acknowledgement 9/6/10, PR Visa granted 28/9/10, Arrived in Brisbane 5/11/10 and loving life again :biggrin:

Guest steve the spark

We are moving to the gold coast in october (21st) to be exact at at this moment in time we have no where to go to. I have searched through realestate and all these sites and it is difficult to secure a rental when you still live in the uk. i understand this but where do we live until then. i have 2 young kids and dont know if a hostel would be any good but other short term rentals that we have seen are asking for $1000 per week which we cannot afford. where else can we try.... and where does everyone else go. If there are any agencies that allow you to secure a rental before you arrive then please let us know.

thanks

trying to get a rental from the other side of the world is hard and to be honest i wouldnt even attempt it, all the properties look so good in the adds just like holiday hotels and i`d bet most of us have compared the piccies agianst whats it was really like and thought ********, when we came over we stayed ay the pelican resort in biggara waters it wasnt advertised but when asked the rates for 28 days or more where about half the normal rate from memory it cost us 450 a week we booked for five weeks giving us plenty of time to sort out school and a more permanant place to stay, so i`d try some of the resorts and ask for rates for a month or more its worth a shot :wink:

regards steve

ps i`ll ask a couple of hotel managers i know tihis week and see if they do discounts

Guest scot2oz

i dont think a caravan would be suitable. i have a 7 year old who is going to need to go to school. My furniture is being shipped over so i need a fixed address for contacting me. this is all getting to be a nightmare. i thought that renting would be easy. we have permenent residency visas and we both have trades so work shouldnt be a problem when we arrive. where does everyone else go when they arrive.

Guest scot2oz

steve, thanks for your help. i wil give it a try. I am hoping that 3-4 weeks is enough time to secure a more perminent rental. if you get any luck with managers then please get in touch.

Guest siamsusie
steve, thanks for your help. i wil give it a try. I am hoping that 3-4 weeks is enough time to secure a more perminent rental. if you get any luck with managers then please get in touch.

Hi there, have you tried CalnGary. Cal is one of the moderators, she will be able to help you/or put you in the right direction.

Drop her a pm...

Susie :wubclub:

http://www.brisbane-relocations.com/joomla/

thanks

Hi Guys

We are moving to the Sunshine Coast in January 2011 but originally we were going to move to the Gold Coast and that was where the majority of our research was for, we found a company called 'gold coast relocations' if you type that in google or they have a facebook group also. I only spoke to Sarah once via email but she seemed very helpful, I think she set up the company after she arrived as an expat as she had obviously had the same difficulties as we are having! If you look on their website you will find a list of services they offer and securing a rental prior to your arrival was one of them which we were interested in, she does state that she wouldnt put anyone in a house if she wouldnt live there herself (got to be a good thing!), if i remember rightly as well, the fees were very reasonable around $350 which works out about $200!

We have since been looking for a similar company on the Sunshine Coast to sort out a rental for us before we arrive and have been quoted $1000 - $1500!!

Hope this helps and good luck with the move :biggrin:

Fly to Brisbane 8 February 2011 - WOOP WOOP!! :wubclub:

Guest steve the spark
Hi Guys

We are moving to the Sunshine Coast in January 2011 but originally we were going to move to the Gold Coast and that was where the majority of our research was for, we found a company called 'gold coast relocations' if you type that in google or they have a facebook group also. I only spoke to Sarah once via email but she seemed very helpful, I think she set up the company after she arrived as an expat as she had obviously had the same difficulties as we are having! If you look on their website you will find a list of services they offer and securing a rental prior to your arrival was one of them which we were interested in, she does state that she wouldnt put anyone in a house if she wouldnt live there herself (got to be a good thing!), if i remember rightly as well, the fees were very reasonable around $350 which works out about $200!

We have since been looking for a similar company on the Sunshine Coast to sort out a rental for us before we arrive and have been quoted $1000 - $1500!!

Ex Pat Relocations - Home Page - relocating to the gold coast

In 2007 the we stayed at ashmore palms with twin 7 year olds. It's was only a couple of months, which gave time to find a suitable longer rental

THE PAST IS A COUNTRY WE KNOW LONGER VISIT.

Hi Guys

Hi

My daughter went to the Gold Coast 3 years ago they were lucky an aunt and uncle put the up for a few weeks until they found a rental, they wanted their own place ASAP as they also have 2 little ones.

They found a rental in 3 weeks. They took the rental for 1 year wasnt great but it did the job so had an address for their container arriving, After the year was up they found another one a lot better 2 streets away and are still there. :biggrin:

They live in Varsity lakes on the Gold Coast, lovely area not far from Varsity Collage where our 6 year old grand daughter goes to, its a lovely school. If you know what area you are hoping to go to I will ask my daughter to ask their real estate agent if they 'secure rentals' while you are still in UK but have an 'arrival date.

Phoebe

Guest guest30038

I just know what I am going to say will irk some folk but here goes anyway.

I know how hard migrating is but if you're going to get your nickers in a knot about finding a place to stay, before you even get here, then I would reconsider your options. You are likely to face much more adversity once you get here than what you are facing now. You have to do what it takes to get your foot in the door, and it likely will cost you in money and emotion.

Never mind that you have to find a school for your child..........what's a couple of weeks off school in the realm of things?

Go with the flow...........investigate the advice that others are giving you.........if it has to be a caravn park, then so be it. Thing's will work out and worrying about matters will only detract from the path you have decided to take. You will look back in years to come and think, "what the bloody hell was all the fuss about?"

If you were coming to Brizzy I would help you out, but that aside, you'll be fine, once you get here.....trust and faith............pin your hopes on them.

Good luck.

kev

I just know what I am going to say will irk some folk but here goes anyway.

I know how hard migrating is but if you're going to get your nickers in a knot about finding a place to stay, before you even get here, then I would reconsider your options. You are likely to face much more adversity once you get here than what you are facing now. You have to do what it takes to get your foot in the door, and it likely will cost you in money and emotion.

Never mind that you have to find a school for your child..........what's a couple of weeks off school in the realm of things?

Go with the flow...........investigate the advice that others are giving you.........if it has to be a caravn park, then so be it. Thing's will work out and worrying about matters will only detract from the path you have decided to take. You will look back in years to come and think, "what the bloody hell was all the fuss about?"

If you were coming to Brizzy I would help you out, but that aside, you'll be fine, once you get here.....trust and faith............pin your hopes on them.

Good luck.

kev

Totally agree with ya Kev, we arrived in Perth in October 2008, and found a short term house to rent, I arrived with 14 year old twins, who had only done 2 months of school in Canada prior to us arriving.

I didn't bother putting my girls into school, for what would technically be only 6 weeks of school left, and as it was, our short term rental was in Clarkson, and we found employment 3 weeks after we arrived, that was over an hours drive away.

We only stayed in our short term rental for 5 weeks, and then found a permanent rental closer to work and to a school that the kids wanted to go to (rather than Clarkson High).

It is so true, finding a long term rental, is just a small thing to worry about when you arrive, finding a job, keeping the job, making sure the school is okay for the kids amongst other things.

I am also a believer in short term pain equals long term gain.... yep holiday let renting is not cheap, however, the worst thing you can do is jump into a permanent rental that you absolutley hate, or even worse hate the area you are living in and are stuck for a year.

Cheers

Karen

Back in Canada over a year and half, miss some aspects of Australia but glad to back home. !!!!

I can't speak for Queensland but in Victoria it is impossible to secure a rental before you leave and to be honest the way they manipulate the photos of properties on realestate you probably wouldn't want to.

So the only way to do it is get yourself temp accommodation for your arrival, in Melbourne we say 4 weeks, however, I think Cal (contact her she knows her stuff) says approx 2 weeks for Brissy areas.

Yes short term accommodation is expensive, we have just traveled throughout Queensland and NT in a camper van and it cost us $75 per night just to park it. Big 4 camp sites down here charge around $120 plus per night for a cabin, so you would probably find furnished short term accommodation cheaper and it will give you more room to spread about. Short term rentals are expensive, a lot of people think they can get one for $400 - $500 per week but believe me there are not many in this price bracket and the ones that are get booked a long time in advance. I would say the average per night in Melbourne is $140pn. I priced up a cabin on a campsite for a client last week and even though it was out of season it was still going to be $175 per night (ouch). Personally I do think a lot of short term accommodation is overpriced, however, you have to remember that it includes all utilities so you have nothing else to pay (most include internet, some even include a car).

Kate

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest cuddefred

Hi Scott,

As a temporary measure you will be able to rent an apartment on a longer term basis. As you will be arriving outside the main holiday season there will be plenty available and probably be between $350-500 per week for a two or three bed furnished apartment. We did this for two months until we found our feet and where we wanted to live - it is much better than renting somewhere and then finding you don't like it as soon as you move in. We live on the coast and I have read the previous post but trust me, there are plenty of good apartments with sea views available for $500 or less - my wife and I are currently looking at them as we have sold our house, move out on the 20th Aug and are building a new one that won't be ready until next March.

Hope this helps and good luck with the move.

Grahame

Guest JaneyD

You could try having a look on Gold Coast exchange, all the exchange sites normally list short term accomodation

If you look at the various camp/caravan sites around, they usually have cabins which are very comfortable for a few weeks.

I would not want another person choosing my home for me, and there's no great hurry. Unless you sent your container over a few months ago it isn't going to arrive anytime soon! And even if it does, I would suggest putting it all straight into storage until you find a home.

Once you have landed and got over the jet lag then go out and view properties. You will need all sorts of things in place before you have enough points to get the rental anyway (driving licence for example).

As Kev says, try not to panic. You sound like you are feeling overwhelmed. But it doesn't have to be bad. Just take it slowly. There's no rush. Far better to take your time and find just the right house for your next 12 months.

XXX

Annette, Steve, Ben and Buddy the dog.

<>< :wubclub:

We booked a furnished short term rental for a few weeks to put us on till we could secure a long term rental. Figured that as long as it was half decent it would put us on till we found something more permanent. As other posters have said, if you book for 4 weeks or more then you usually get a discount which makes it more reasonable

We booked a short term holiday let..yes it was more expensive but we used our UK wages before we came to pay for it and the bond so it did not eat into our relocation money. We then had 6 weks to find somehting more permanent. have to agree with Kev though..do not get your knicks in a knot!!!! it just isn't worth it..and give the kids a few weeks off this end to adjust to the move!

Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)

Jake - Little Ozzie Angel:angel_happy_face_ha

Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

I would not dismiss the idea of the caravan park - it is sometimes a cheaper option than a fully furnished rental.....although not always. Many of the parks have cabins which are perfectly adequate for a few weeks whilst you look around for something more permanent.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest itskaren

We secured a rental from the Uk in Mt Martha (Melbourne). The landlady was a crook and conned us big time.. Do not make the same mistake. It cost us thousands!!

Try and get temporary holiday accommodation then try and find a rental asap. When we did eventually find a rental we offered to pay 12 months in advance so we got it.

I do not envy you one bit. Sorry I can't help.