Two Weeks in Brissie (so far so good)

Guest Aldo

I can't remember my last post so i will start from when we arrived in Brissie.

The flight was reletvly stress free thanks to a little help from Phenergan to tranquilise the kids. A little flirting at the check-in desk secured us extra legroom seats for both legs of the flight, with the HK to Brissie part we even got 2 rows of 3 seats for 2 adults and 2 infants. he arrivals was not much hassle but as we hadn't an address to fill in on our landing cards the good ol' "Station Rd" worked a treat (one in every English speaking town in the word).

Car hire was a peice of p??? even with cash only and a hammered spanish credit card, i think it was about 500 AUSD for a week for a nice large family car with child seats free.

We booked into a Caravan park on the south side in a place called Rochdale just 15-20 mins from CBD and got us a 2 double bedroom "famiy Unit", very nice and clean with TV en suite and kitchin for about 950 ausd for one week. The site also had wi fi (bit slow tough).

Our plan is to rent for 6 months to make sure we now the suburbs and work situation then buy. It took us a week of driving around house hunting and coming accross some houses that you wouldn't let your dog sleap in, in the right spot and then the pefect house in the wrong spot and some threats of divorce, we where driving around and found a nice area and went into the local real estate shop and asked about rentals and was told they only had the one, so we went alond and viewed it and it was perfect for us, cul-de-sac , large back garden backing onto a park, local shops within walking distance, kindy 1 min up the road, 5 mins to West field shopping center at Mt Gravat, pub up the road!!, and a nieghbour with a fishing boat in his drive (he doesn't know it yet but he is my new best mate). The 4 (3 realy) slug, brick and tile bungalow is costing us 350 a week and we have a 6 month lease.

The kids started kindie this morning, 3 days a week (for now). The kindies are very well run and most cost about 50 per child per day and i think a day is from 8am untill 6pm.

Car fronts are everywhere and second hand cars are good value with transfer of ownership being hassle free (every thing here is hassle free!) Went to get drivers licences this morning and the misses got hers in about 1/2 an hour (queensland state) she didn't have to give in her uk licence and didn't have to do any tests. I was refused because i lost my photo card so need to apply for a uk renewal then go back.

I've gotta go now, but i will post again soon with more info like shopping, work, yeast extract, GBH hair straightners and any other stuff you want me to find out about. I will also post some pics of me gaff.

l8ers

Guest mandytuck

Hi, Sounds like things are going okay for you so far! Hope it continues that way. You sound very organised. Hope we can manage like you when we go.

Guest mandy1

Hi, So pleased to hear all is going well for you. W eare hoping to move out to Oz in Nov this year (to Perth) and posts like these do make it seem more achieveable. Keep posting its good to hear about the everyday things that we all worry about it

Mandy

Hi Aldo glad you all arrived safe, you do sound very organised. Keep the updates coming we love them.

Em x

Guest michele'n'michael
sounds great - keep the updates coming! x

Yep Ilove hearing them too!! Good Luck Michele x

Guest wardy

G'day Aldo

Sounds like you have settled like a fish in water, glad things are working out for you.

Keep the updates coming , we love to read them. :yes:

Kaye

Guest Davidgolf

Hi Aldo

Just been reading your post,we are caming just down the road to you mid sept we are going to stay with my parents while we look for a house,they live in Shailar Park which is right were you are staying we are looking at places in Dasiy Hill too and Springwood were my brother and family live which is right near you too. We have just got a place for our 9yrs old into John Paul Collage you will have been past it a few times i expect. What do you think of the Hyper Dome????????.If you would like to meet up when we get over there that would be great.You can pm me if you like. Well good luck with everything and hope to hear from you soon.

Sharon and David :wubclub:

Guest dunnarunna

all sounds good aldo even though we`re not heading to brisbane look forward to hearing how it goes on the work front as hubby is a fellow brickie.

donna

Hi Aldo

Just been reading your post,we are caming just down the road to you mid sept we are going to stay with my parents while we look for a house,they live in Shailar Park which is right were you are staying we are looking at places in Dasiy Hill too and Springwood were my brother and family live which is right near you too. We have just got a place for our 9yrs old into John Paul Collage you will have been past it a few times i expect. What do you think of the Hyper Dome????????.If you would like to meet up when we get over there that would be great.You can pm me if you like. Well good luck with everything and hope to hear from you soon.

Sharon and David :wubclub:

Hi Sharon and David,

Sure we would love to meet up, we'll get back to you on that nearer the time. Our 2 boys go to the kindie opposite JP collage, I have heard good things about the place. We went shopping at the Hyper-dome the other day and it was OK but the misses thinks Westfield is the best, their is one in MT Gravat which is about 10 mins away or there is a huge one on the north side in Chermside. Daisy Hill is very nice but property is expensive.

Hi Aldo, What a lovely post it's fantastic that people take the time to let everyone know what it's like once there!

Hope you make friends with the guy with the boat quick LOL

Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest silverstargazer38

Great to see your keeping us all posted, Let us know how it is down under

great hearing whats happening !!:spinny:

Guest brucestobrisbane

Here, here, please keep them coming. We're on our way to Kallangur soon and so find your posts really useful... thanks :wubclub:.

Looking forward to the next instalment.x

Nicky

• 2 years later...

Archived