15 year old / gcse

bettyboo

As we have been given a must enter Australia date before 11th of may 2011, do we just validate our visas come back and let our daughter take her GCSE 'S or do we just go for it. ( our only concern is if it doesn't work out she will have no uk qualifications ). Any thoughts.

Guest VickyMel

There was a post in the dilemmas some time ago from a guy who was keen to return to the UK.

One of the discussions that came up on the thread related to the potential for him to take his O levels in Oz. Maybe try to find out whether there is a school nearby your destination where your daughter maybe able to complete her UK GCSEs then both options are covered.

Just found the link - go in a bit to see the stuff on educations possibilities

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/dilemmas/83176-homesick-but-my-family-loves.html#post729766

VickyMel

Unfortunately I think it highly unlikely that she will be able to do her GCSE in Australia - I believe there may be a centre in WA which does the Cambridge board but if she has done the syllabus from another board then that will be irrelevant. There may be correspondence courses out there she could try and hook into but they generally like you to have done the whole course and not just the exam.

It is a very tricky decision and if you have any inkling that it wont work out then she would definitely be best to have them under her belt. You could also try and get her into a school which does the IB here so that if she needs to go back having finished her education then she will have something that travels better than the Aus yr 12 certificate. However if she never needs to do any education in UK again then GCSEs are totally irrelevant for her Australian career.

If you validate then you have several years to make your decision to move so she could actually finish A levels within that period so would have all her bases covered.

One thing you might want to look into, is if you think your daughter is going to want to go to Uni, what are the conditions she has to meet in either the UK or Australia, in order to not pay international fees.

I seem to remember a few years ago you had to have been resident in the UK for the three years prior to starting in order to pay local fees. Don't know what the situation is now, or what it is in Australia. Not sure how many years she would have to be in australia before she can claim citizenship, but if she can get that before Uni, it could save you A LOT of money.

Just a thought...

good luck with everything

RockDr

I believe PR is all that is required to be classed as a resident for Uni purposes, my OH has been looking at that recently, do bear in mind even as a resident Uni in Australia is a far more costly venture.

To the OP, is your daughter 'academic'? Does she have professional aspirations? If so I'm afraid whichever option you go for she will be disadvantaged. The education system here is very different and moving from one to the other at such a critical time is far from ideal.

If she does intend going to Uni then I would validate and delay your move until then

There isn't a national curriculum in Australia but typically there are leaving exams in year 12 (age 17/18) these are either Uni entrance exams (like our A levels) or Vocational (like NVQ's if they still exist) there is no equivilant of GCSE's as leaving school at 16 is not an option.

If she doesn't take GCSE's she will have a slightly better chance in her year 12 exams as she will have been there longer but if you weren't to stay then she'd have nothing.

If she isn't academic then I think she is better off here anyway, forget GCSE's and get here asap.

These websites may help..

Australian Schools Directory

Glossary, Australia

hi, I'm Elizabeth & I'm 15.

I don't know where abouts in Oz you are going but I'm going to Perth and there instead of doing my GCSE's & A-levels, I'll do WACE exams. I don't know if this applies to all states but I think people can leave school at 16 and do TAFE instead if they want.

I read on here somewhere that aslong as you are under 16 then it doesn't matter because you don't start doing anything important examwise in Oz until you're 16. I don't know for certain if thats true...

:)

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

we are in a similar position to this, my son is 15 and he will be taking his final year GCSE's next year and we know they don't transfer to Australia. We also know that it would be better to get there sooner to give him a chance to get the Australian passes which is obviously the best option if anyone IS emigrating. We have had information telling us that you have to pay over seas uni fees unless you are a citizen, which takes 4 years, so again the sooner you go the better. PR status doesn't count, just being a citizen prevents the over seas fees, so we have been told.

Currently here in the uk, students leaving Uni with degrees are finding that there are 69 candidates for one job which is up from 48 for one job from last year which is having a massive knock on effect on other kids looking for work who are less qualified and the experts are predicting that teenagers out of work in the uk is going to go over the 1 million mark which is horrendous.

I tell my wife - whats the point in staying here in the uk until my son takes his GCSE's when theres few jobs on offer and the education just might not be as good in Australia, but..............at least there are good well paid jobs for them at the end of their schooling.

Hi everyone

we are in a similar position to this, my son is 15 and he will be taking his final year GCSE's next year and we know they don't transfer to Australia. We also know that it would be better to get there sooner to give him a chance to get the Australian passes which is obviously the best option if anyone IS emigrating. We have had information telling us that you have to pay over seas uni fees unless you are a citizen, which takes 4 years, so again the sooner you go the better. PR status doesn't count, just being a citizen prevents the over seas fees, so we have been told.

Currently here in the uk, students leaving Uni with degrees are finding that there are 69 candidates for one job which is up from 48 for one job from last year which is having a massive knock on effect on other kids looking for work who are less qualified and the experts are predicting that teenagers out of work in the uk is going to go over the 1 million mark which is horrendous.

I tell my wife - whats the point in staying here in the uk until my son takes his GCSE's when theres few jobs on offer and the education just might not be as good in Australia, but..............at least there are good well paid jobs for them at the end of their schooling.

No, as PR you will pay the domestic rate of fees not international student fees and you will have to pay them up front by the semester - anywhere between $4 and $10k pa all depending on the university and course of his choice.

Teenage employment is getting tougher here too apparently (there is a thread on BE about that at the moment) and in the bigger cities here there is huge competition for the desired unis and subsequent careers as the Asian community are hell bent on hot housing and getting their kids extra tuition to get them to the top. I dont think youth employment is a sinecure anywhere really these days and in Australia you need a degree to sweep the streets.

No, as PR you will pay the domestic rate of fees not international student fees and you will have to pay them up front by the semester - anywhere between $4 and $10k pa all depending on the university and course of his choice.

Teenage employment is getting tougher here too apparently (there is a thread on BE about that at the moment) and in the bigger cities here there is huge competition for the desired unis and subsequent careers as the Asian community are hell bent on hot housing and getting their kids extra tuition to get them to the top. I dont think youth employment is a sinecure anywhere really these days and in Australia you need a degree to sweep the streets.

Very true, many of the 'top' performing schools are in Perth are in areas i

with a concentration of Asian families. I have a friend who's daughter goes to Rossmoyne and reckons the school should put up a sign 'sponsored by Kumon'. The funny thing is I've got to know a family from Japan and another from Singapore and both say one of their primary reasons for moving here was to escape the education systems in their own countries and allow their children to have a childhood.

Jules

Guest Louii

Hi, I am Ellouise and i am in my 1st yr of g.c.s.e's here in the uk !!

I have been reading the stuff about sch yrs and i am going to be the same situation as you seem to all be in. My mum said that i can stay here and finish my g.c.s.e's here in the uk but i would rather be out there in oz. So my mums sujestion was we are hoping that we are going to get out to oz at the end of this yr so my yr group will be in yr 9 at the moment as they started this feb 2010. So they have already started there g.c.s.e's or certificates is what they call them. So it would be unfair because i will be behind and will only of done 1 yr in oz of my certificates. So my mums idea was to go back a yr in sch so in feb 2011 instead of starting in yr 10 final yr i will start yr 9 so then i will have time to settle in and then if i dont have uk qualifications at least i will at oz !! Because then going back 1 yr i will comlete both certificate yr's.

Hope this helps xx

You sound very sensible Elli, all the best with your studies.

Good luck to all you teens taking uk or oz gcse/certs. :hug:

My son is yr10 currently and will start yr 11, sept but we will probably still be here so he will finish them here.

Archived