You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest wingywangwoo

If you are looking at shipping quotes, take note!

Guest wingywangwoo

When you are looking for quotes regarding shipping, firstly ask if you are able to pack certain items yourself! As you will find you pay a high price for them to do it for you, Money which you can well save doing it yourself, Some companies will let you do this providing you use their box's and list/and leave them open so that they can list what is in it! Also if you use their insurance, check and double check what you are covered for, Some may only pay out if you lose your whole load, even if one item is saved, they don't pay up! So check very carefully,

Also if you are unsure if your stay in Australia will last the course, Keep all your packing box's etc safe, you can save a whole lot of money if you should return, (you will also find if you leave it to the shippers to pack, They will never fill the box, hence more box's, higher price, more volume)!

Same goes if you are bringing pets to Australia, whatever you do, keep the crates safe! You will be surprised at the saving you make by reusing them, if you should return to the uk!

John

Who did you use John? We can't decide between PSS and John Masons, both have personal recomendations and apart from quote for car are simalar prices.

Thanks

Guest YorkshireLassKelly

Its so much easier to let the packers do it all...piece of mind...saves getting stung by Customs when your stuff (eventually) gets over to Oz!

If your comany has a tracking website its worth checkin to see how the volume changes throughout the journey, we were quoted 140 cubic feet and what was actually shipped was only 78 and they certainly didn't tell us...but I got a refund after sending a very snotty email! The 'they' I am referring to was Pickfords...they were OK overall...worked out a lot cheaper...in the end! :smile:

Guest wingywangwoo
Who did you use John? We can't decide between PSS and John Masons, both have personal recomendations and apart from quote for car are simalar prices.

Thanks

Hi,

We used Doree bonner to ship us over, and their partner here in oz, is Grace, both of which i can not fault, both very efficient and on the ball, Yes they do like to pack every thing in sight, but every room they went into, they did ask first if every thing was to go!!

So all in all we would recommend them! Plus on the good side we had no lost or damaged items, all arrived safe and sound!

John

Thanks

To be honest - it's probably a case of "eeny, meeny...." when you are down to one or two favourites. We had five original quotes and then just could not decide between John Mason and Doree Bonner. I made far too much out of choosing between these two in the end - almost drove myself and my hubby mad! But funnily enough, once I made the decision I felt so much happier! In the end, we chose JM as they kept in contact - without being pushy - and offered us loads of initial advice even before we had made our decision! They were also the most willing to move on price. One word of advice though .... once you have booked your shippers - under no circumstances should you read posts on shipping recommendations:biglaugh:

17/6/09 - Lodged 175, CSL ........ Visa Grant - 28/1/10 ........ Arrived in Brisbane - 2/7/10 :jiggy:

Guest brummie39

Hiya wingy...

We are getting quote from dorree bonner next week.

May i ask how much you paid for shipping, and what qubic feet you used?

Just would like to get an comparrison to what we may get quoted.

So far there communication has been great and seem very nice on phone, so my gut

insticnt is says these may be the ones, if the price is right.

Also we were told from westpac, which we have just opened account, that they deposit $100

if we choose them.

Anyway, could you suggest any thing we may need to know, we may need to ask.

Thankyou in advance...

Thanks

I used PSS. I would recommend JOHN MASON.

good luck

The oldgit

Guest wingywangwoo
Hiya wingy...

We are getting quote from dorree bonner next week.

May i ask how much you paid for shipping, and what qubic feet you used?

Just would like to get an comparrison to what we may get quoted.

So far there communication has been great and seem very nice on phone, so my gut

insticnt is says these may be the ones, if the price is right.

Also we were told from westpac, which we have just opened account, that they deposit $100

if we choose them.

Anyway, could you suggest any thing we may need to know, we may need to ask.

Thankyou in advance...

Hiya Brummie,

We paid, £5500 for a sole use 20ft container, but we only really used 796 cubic feet, I will agree with you, that they were the nicest of the bunch when communicating, Just make sure you ask about all extra charges you may incur, as we had an extra £500 charge once the container had already gone, they said that was due to a price increase, so we couldn't really question it! Don't forget to question exactly what you are insured for, regarding loss of items etc, depending on what insurance you go with!

The guys do really pack well, anything you don't want packed, put it in a spare room, and mention not to go in there, The guys will leave it well alone!

Packing took only one whole day, with just maybe 1 or 2 hours next day! The remainder of the 2 nd day is to pack container, be warned though, it does take a lot of room up in the rd!

Good luck with it all,

John

Hiya Brummie,

We paid, £5500 for a sole use 20ft container, but we only really used 796 cubic feet, I will agree with you, that they were the nicest of the bunch when communicating, Just make sure you ask about all extra charges you may incur, as we had an extra £500 charge once the container had already gone, they said that was due to a price increase, so we couldn't really question it! Don't forget to question exactly what you are insured for, regarding loss of items etc, depending on what insurance you go with!

The guys do really pack well, anything you don't want packed, put it in a spare room, and mention not to go in there, The guys will leave it well alone!

Packing took only one whole day, with just maybe 1 or 2 hours next day! The remainder of the 2 nd day is to pack container, be warned though, it does take a lot of room up in the rd!

Good luck with it all,

John

Thats a lot more than John Masons and PSS have quoted us, not got quote here but was about £3300 for sole use of a 20ft and about £2700 for shared for about the same footage

Guest wingywangwoo
Thats a lot more than John Masons and PSS have quoted us, not got quote here but was about £3300 for sole use of a 20ft and about £2700 for shared for about the same footage

Hi that quote was from almost a year ago, I have been told that the prices have dropped since then! But that was the middle on the price scale then! :arghh:

Guest wingywangwoo
Will be interesting to see what Brummie39 gets quoted, I still got time before I have to make a decision!

It will be interesting to see what comes back!

Heres good luck to you!

We are currently get ting prices to go back to the uk, All i can say is its a lot cheaper to go back, than it was to get here!

Guest wingywangwoo
Thanks!

Good luck with coming back!

Thankyou!

For anyone who might be interested .... Our goods were shipped across on 15th June with John Mason - 750 cubic feet @ £3,500. Doree Bonner came in at £3,800 after much haggling and Crown was £4,100. There were two others cheaper than John Mason which we decided against, for no other reason than JM got us on the gut feeling thingy!

17/6/09 - Lodged 175, CSL ........ Visa Grant - 28/1/10 ........ Arrived in Brisbane - 2/7/10 :jiggy:

Guest brummie39

Thankyou for the info...

Will keep you posted on quote next week...

Guest guest12791
It will be interesting to see what comes back!

Heres good luck to you!

We are currently get ting prices to go back to the uk, All i can say is its a lot cheaper to go back, than it was to get here!

When we shipped our stuff back to england we used overseas packers and removals on kingsfordsmith road , brisbane, they were very reasonable and good, they told us that they shipped loads of british families goods back?. I used anglo pacific going there but a few bits got broken. Heading back again in January!!! and waiting to see who gets the best quotes before i book!!!! :wacko:Annemarie x

We've just booked our shipping with John Mason...

Everything in our own 20 Foot container including shipping our Car.

Paying the Quarantine inspection fees upfront, 3 TV crates, Container Decontamination fee, Car collection fee.

The total cost was £4,130

Insurance we've gone with Insure-Your-Move.com because it was a lot cheaper.

Just extra fees to pay on the Car when we arrive but I'm looking at an agent to sort everything for me.

We had 6 agents out for shipping quotes and John Masons were far better than most in my view.

But we'll know if my views were right or wrong when it's packed and collected 2 weeks today. Then when we finally receive it all at the end of September.

Howard

...IS My Life a Dream? - If It Is I Don't Want to Wake Up...

We've just booked our shipping with John Mason...

Everything in our own 20 Foot container including shipping our Car.

Paying the Quarantine inspection fees upfront, 3 TV crates, Container Decontamination fee, Car collection fee.

The total cost was £4,130

Insurance we've gone with Insure-Your-Move.com because it was a lot cheaper.

Just extra fees to pay on the Car when we arrive but I'm looking at an agent to sort everything for me.

We had 6 agents out for shipping quotes and John Masons were far better than most in my view.

But we'll know if my views were right or wrong when it's packed and collected 2 weeks today. Then when we finally receive it all at the end of September.

Howard

Hi Howard

What agents are you using for helping with the car when you arrive? How did you find them? Was going to manage it myself but someone quoted a price on a thread and it seemed reasonable to make the process easier! Strugglng with where too look for one!

Thanks

Rose

Hi Howard

What agents are you using for helping with the car when you arrive? How did you find them? Was going to manage it myself but someone quoted a price on a thread and it seemed reasonable to make the process easier! Strugglng with where too look for one!

Thanks

Rose

Hi Rose,

It took me a while to find but these are the 2 I've emailed

J-Spec Imports - Personal imports

Iron Chef Imports - Contact

Both have emailed me back and so far so good.

Just waiting for a few more of my questions to be answered.

I just think it will be so much easier and less stressful having this part managed for us.

Mention that Howard recommended you cos you never know we might both save a few $'s

Let me know how you get on

Howard

Hi Rose,

It took me a while to find but these are the 2 I've emailed

J-Spec Imports - Personal imports

Iron Chef Imports - Contact

Both have emailed me back and so far so good.

Just waiting for a few more of my questions to be answered.

I just think it will be so much easier and less stressful having this part managed for us.

Mention that Howard recommended you cos you never know we might both save a few $'s

Let me know how you get on

Howard

Thanks Howard! Yes think it will be! Think thats going to be the most stressy part! Will mention you as well.

Guest cosmicsis

we had quotes from PSS & John Masons and similar price but was impressed with John Masons slightly more. I also had an independant quote for insurance but they matched it at 2.5% rather than the quoted 3% so worth negotiating. Fingers crossed it all goes ok. They also quoted 2 days to pack everything & collect it but we are short on time so they said they will do it in 1 day. But all queries have been answered by really friendly team and really efficient.

we had quotes from PSS & John Masons and similar price but was impressed with John Masons slightly more. I also had an independant quote for insurance but they matched it at 2.5% rather than the quoted 3% so worth negotiating. Fingers crossed it all goes ok. They also quoted 2 days to pack everything & collect it but we are short on time so they said they will do it in 1 day. But all queries have been answered by really friendly team and really efficient.

I also got em down to 2.5% on insurance but still wasn't close enough for us.

Yeah they're planning on the 1 day packing for us also.

I agree on the friendly people at John Mason so helpful...

Howard