Taking dogs/pets back to uk

Herbster

Hi - can't believe there's not been a thread on this one...

What's the deal so far as taking dogs & pets generally back to UK - whether they were born in Auz or not???:wideeyed: Also any ideas on costs & procedures... Just in case!

Thank you :spinny:

Hi - can't believe there's not been a thread on this one...

What's the deal so far as taking dogs & pets generally back to UK - whether they were born in Auz or not???:wideeyed: Also any ideas on costs & procedures... Just in case!

Thank you :spinny:

Hello Hamster

There have been a few threads on this. I took our Aussie born Cockapoo back with dogtaners. We had her treatment done when we susspected we would be coming home. So she did not have to go into Qauwanteen we just have to stay in Aus for Six monthes.

But it is not all that hard.

Hopfully one of the Mods can help you track these threads down.

Good luck

John

Cheers John!

I'm posting July '10 - so I'm really looking for the latest experiences of people who've arrived back in ENGLAND this year with their dearly beloved Dog, Cat - companion Animal... or who are in the midst of doing so - just to know whether it's possible & how it works...

:)

Hi Herbster,

We had a dog sent back to the UK from here, last December. We used Dogtainers (I believe they are also based in Tasmania) and they were brilliant. Pick up from your home and organise everything from door to UK airport.

With a dog, there will be no quarantine in the UK - as long as the dog has had at rabies shot at least 6 months PRIOR to leaving. If it hasn't, you may have to leave it here with a friend etc, for the balance fo the 6 months or face the prospect of a long stint in quarantine in the UK.

Good luck, Kazza

Thanks for that Kazza:

I know it always used to be a 6-mt quarantine back in the Old Days, but thought there were some rule changes, so this is good to know. He's all chipped & up-to-date on his vacs, although not sure if Tas does for rabies, have to check... & get it done in case.

Anyway, can't imagine we'd suddenly return, have contractual obligations - but best to know these things ahead of time in case OH can't take it any more!

Good to know about the shippers, although I think I'd have to take him to 7-Mile beach every day for a month just to get him used to planes - we just never see any jets here, which is weird when I've always been under training flight paths for military jets... Yes so our trusty Border Collie is just this side of Nervous on the 'You Think I'm Going to do THAT?!!' To think we wanted a guard dog!!

Guest HayleyW

Hi there, We came back in March this year with our English dog and an aussie dog and aussie cat that we had adopted when we lived in Australia. We got all their rabies jabs done 6 months in advance, we flew back with Virgin and they all flew on the same flight as us and I picked them up from Heathrow about 3 hours after we arrived which was great and they were all fine and happy, I too was very worried about one of my dogs as she's very nervous but she was fine. We are all now settled and very happy to be back but have no regrets about going to Australia.

We used Pet carriers who were so good. I think your looking at around $2000, we found all the animal shipping company's happy to give you quotes but I just liked pet carriers the best. Any other questions just give us a shout.

Hi there, We came back in March this year with our English dog and an aussie dog and aussie cat that we had adopted when we lived in Australia. We got all their rabies jabs done 6 months in advance, we flew back with Virgin and they all flew on the same flight as us and I picked them up from Heathrow about 3 hours after we arrived which was great and they were all fine and happy, I too was very worried about one of my dogs as she's very nervous but she was fine. We are all now settled and very happy to be back but have no regrets about going to Australia.

We used Pet carriers who were so good. I think your looking at around $2000, we found all the animal shipping company's happy to give you quotes but I just liked pet carriers the best. Any other questions just give us a shout.

Hi Hayley - Thanks for that...

It may never come to it, but I don't know if this is the place for us... We have made some smashing friends - especially throu our adopted Collie - he's 3 on Sunday & is very much our KID! My OH has said from early days he'd never want to be buried here & after a close-call with maniac Hoons on Sat joked about me calling the shippers the next morning! (Only 1/2 joking - he said he wouldn't cry if we were returning!)

And if we could just pick up our home & drop it in rural Somerset or even back in Northumberland I think he'd be happy - for a bit... I'm not sure if enough has changed, but all the History & Heritage + proximity to Europe that he misses so much will be there... But he's in with a good company now... so never know, if he plays his cards right; there could be OP's there...?!?

But like a good Scout, it's always best to be Prepared, so I'll make sure Woofer's shots are right cos there ain't no way we'd leave him behind after all he's been through & I'd bet he'd love it @ 'home' on the farm...

Hope you're all settling back in do the animals understand English?! - still bet it's weird; were you gone long? does it feel like HOME now?

G :cute:

Guest AngieandMe

HI we are in middle of moving back 2 Ireland, and we are taking are Aussie born German Shepherd X Bullmastiff home with us. When we knew we were going back home we got him is blood test Rabies Vaccination done. We waited 3 weeks for the test 2 come saying that there was not enough antibodies... so needless 2 say we had 2 wait 4 weeks for him 2 get in done again. Thankfully it came back good. He is 3 months into his quarantine and he will do 2 months back in Ireland. We are going with Dogtainers. So from Perth 2 Ireland its costing us $4200. Not sure how he is going 2 react with it all. He is brillant with other dogs but for people thats a different matter. :unsure:

Guest HayleyW

Hi G

I really know where your coming from, my husband always said "don't ever let me be buried here!" and we was always in two minds if to stay or not, its not easy. I some times felt like I was on another planet when I lived in Australia but now I'm back here Australia really doesn't feel that far away, don't get me wrong Australia will always be a special place in my heart just not my home. We lived in Sydney for a year and down the south coast of NSW for 2 years.

We live near Windsor now so the dogs have lovely long walks in Great Windsor park and they seem to understand English!!!

All the best to you what ever you decide.

Angieandme, I'm sure your dog will be fine and very pleased to see you when you collect him, when we moved to Australia our English dog had to go into quarantine for a month which was a lot harder for us than her! Such a great day when we picked her up. Good luck with everything. H

Thanks Haley -

We are very fortunate in the area that we live - we're in bush, so plenty of space which we LOVE! But it's tough - not an easy life & I can't be the help around the place I'd like to be--- most of S Tas is very hilly & rocky so I guess if you have any sense you let it be! OH says it fights you every step of the way - so we aim now (more or less!) to just do what's 'reasonable' & try to ignore what we'd like to do!! But there's still MUCH to do; trying to get wood, plant trees & veggies... & it looks like we're going to have to buy water again, it's been unbelievably dry here this year - but I reckon everywhere seems to be getting our Endless Summer - I know we would miss the weather when it's weeks on end of cold cloudy murk...

Thankfully, we DO have a great area within 6-miles where we can run Woofer off the lead without nasty spiky things hurting his paws! AND, with lots of doggy pals; in the warm weather, swim in the river & there are FAB beaches further away - but of course there aren't the public access footpaths hereabouts as in UK, so we can't just say let's go for a trip today & take the dog somewhere different... But if you look at my photos - it does have a lot going for it... But we're not totally convinced, I suppose... yet! (One way or the other!) Although my ole Dad says we're def in the right place!:daydreaming:

Yes, where you are now there are plenty of places for dogs - of all sorts - to have a great time...

Glad you all arrived home safe and it's good to know if we do decide to return it won't be the horrendous ordeal it once was - for Woofer anyway!!

Enjoy your day! G & H :)

We had our dog sorted for rabies as soon as we arrived and he came out of quarantine( we had to use an aquis regitered vet though as some don't deal with it ( but were in perth ) , as he has been and done his first year he has now had his second yearly booster, thats it once your tests are good , done six months here , your good to go ...or 1 month here 5 there or whatever balance works for you , never say never .. its def more stressfull for you than them !

Guest Dazzleme

Hi Guy's,

We're going with Jet Pets in November - any feedback?

They have quoted us $4000 for two dogs all up.

Cheery,

Sarah

Hi Guys!

Could anyone please clarify?

IF you have the Rabies Vaccine done 6 months prior to travel can they come straight into Spain OR the UK and avoid Quarantine?

Many thanks in advance!

Oh and Sarah............I have been quoted $2800 for 2 Dogs weighing 4.5kg each so am assuming your Dogs are maybe bigger?

Guest Dazzleme

HI Joelltah -

From what I understand with the rabies jab, it is from when they take the blood test that the clock starts ticking.....our dogs are going straight to the UK where we can collect them directly from the airport (LHR).

Are you going through jet pets? Our dogs weigh 9.5 and 12k?

Cheers,

Sarah

• 3 years later...

Hi Haley I can't believe that was almost 4-years ago I was asking the Question - now I have a Kelpie too & I think the Time's come: get our house in order... How do you feel now, things ave been very up & down it seems the past few years on many fronts, and I'm wondering if you feel more optimistic or less so? Do you have regrets leaving SYD? The things we really miss are pretty well summed up by Time Team, & we just can't find that kind of depth here & every time we think about the logistics of a Move, from Tas to the Mainland say, or even coming back for a visit we keep coming back to - I think we'd be better putting the $$$ towards getting the dogs back as well as ourselves! Hope you are all still happy in Barkshire :)!! G H & T :notworthy:

Archived