Registered Nurse - To lodge 176 SS or wait

the mooz

Hi

I am a Registered Nurse with 23 years experience, 19 yrs on the wards and 4 years as a Community Palliative Care Nurse (same as a MacMillan nurse).

My problem is that I don't have IELTS.

I have a positive Skills Assessment from the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council and Registration with QNC. I managed to avoid the IELTS by applying for these before it became compulsory last year.

I applied for Queensland SS which was granted in April 2010. However, hubby didn't get the 176 paperwork sorted out before the May 7th GSM suspension.

Now QLD want IELTS for SMP sponsorship.

My question is do I lodge a 176 with SS and in the meantime get IELTS, QLD SMP and send them on to DIAC when I recive them or do I wait for QLD to publish the SMP, apply then lodge a 176 SMP.

(The old ASCO code correlates to any of the new ANZSCO nursing codes)

My fear is that I could fail the IELTS and God knows how many times I might have to resit it, delaying lodgement of 176 if I wait to get SMP first. Also the delay in submitting a 176 could mean the revised points test could hit me if takes a number of resits for IELTS (age 43 and the possibility of less points for my age).

Your help - Please !

Mrs Moo

Hi

I am a Registered Nurse with 23 years experience, 19 yrs on the wards and 4 years as a Community Palliative Care Nurse (same as a MacMillan nurse).

My problem is that I don't have IELTS.

I have a positive Skills Assessment from the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council and Registration with QNC. I managed to avoid the IELTS by applying for these before it became compulsory last year.

I applied for Queensland SS which was granted in April 2010. However, hubby didn't get the 176 paperwork sorted out before the May 7th GSM suspension.

Now QLD want IELTS for SMP sponsorship.

My question is do I lodge a 176 with SS and in the meantime get IELTS, QLD SMP and send them on to DIAC when I recive them or do I wait for QLD to publish the SMP, apply then lodge a 176 SMP.

(The old ASCO code correlates to any of the new ANZSCO nursing codes)

My fear is that I could fail the IELTS and God knows how many times I might have to resit it, delaying lodgement of 176 if I wait to get SMP first. Also the delay in submitting a 176 could mean the revised points test could hit me if takes a number of resits for IELTS (age 43 and the possibility of less points for my age).

Your help - Please !

Mrs Moo

Why do you think you will not pass IELTS ? Has QLD mentioned what is the IELTS requirement and whether you have to sit for Academic or General ? Your English is pretty good and there is a lot of help you can gain from this forum on the IELTS exam. Don't worry, I feel that you will be able to achieve the reqiured result. All you need to do is a lot of practice.

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Try the ielts first, I had to pass academic level 7 in all sections to get registered with the ANMC as a nurse. ( passed first time, that was a shock) I think you just need to listen carefully and read carefully during the test. I am sure you will pass with no problems..

Thanks for the replies Ozzieland and ItsSHIRLEY

I understand that what your trying to get across to me is not to fear the test but who knows what else is up DIAC's sleeve. If I can get my application lodged as soon as possible that would be ideal before any more DIAC changes. And if that means avoiding the IELTS test all the better.

What I'm wondering is, would a 176 and the SS I received in April be acceptable to DIAC before the QLD SMP is issued. I've read on other posts that the old state sponsorship wouldn't be accepted once SMP's are posted on state websites.

aahhh decisions.

Thanks again

Mrs Moo

Thanks for the replies Ozzieland and ItsSHIRLEY

I understand that what your trying to get across to me is not to fear the test but who knows what else is up DIAC's sleeve. If I can get my application lodged as soon as possible that would be ideal before any more DIAC changes. And if that means avoiding the IELTS test all the better.

What I'm wondering is, would a 176 and the SS I received in April be acceptable to DIAC before the QLD SMP is issued. I've read on other posts that the old state sponsorship wouldn't be accepted once SMP's are posted on state websites.

aahhh decisions.

Thanks again

Mrs Moo

Anything is possible witih DIAC. There are all kinds of various contradicting news floating around and until something is written in 'RED' by DIAC no one can say what is right or wrong. Having said that, some states have come back saying that you will be able to get automatic transfer from SS to SMP. Don't know how much of this is true but State's will definitely not want to reprocess applicants given the fact that some states already have a huge backlog of applications to process. If you can hold on for a little while it would be better for yourselves until things are clearer and then apply to QLD. In the meantime, keep an eye on all states and when their SMPs are out you will be aware of what is going on. There is a possibility that if one state has a following rule the other states are more likely to follow suit.