Guest dholden

passport expires in 6 months

Guest dholden

hi,

I am currently on a 457 living in Australia and I am going back to the UK for a holiday, when I re-enter Australia do I have to have more than 6 months valid on my passport, my passport expires 5/2/2011 and I am re-entering Australia 22/8/2010 (which is less than 6 months).

Also I have a connection through Dubai on my way back, is there any check of my passport on such a connection?, if so any idea if I need to have more than 6 months on my passport.

And finally...what's the cost and lead time for getting my passport renewed I could look into this while I am home (for 4 weeks).

cheers,

Dan

Hi dan,

Yes Australis does require that you have at least six months expiry on your passport in order to enter the country,and there is also a risk that you could be denied boarding by the airline in the UK if they believe there is any risk of you being denied entry to Australia although that would be unlikely.

You can arrange to renew your UK passport while in the UK on holiday,you need to make an appointment with the IPS.

See the Direct .Gov page about passports here:

Passport applications and renewals if you are abroad or live outside the UK : Directgov - Travel and transport

The cost is £77.50 to renew in the UK for a standard passport which is a lot cheaper than the approximately $300.00 AUD that you have to pay here in Australia!.

Processing time for renewals in the UK is about 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jo

You may as well give cherries to a pig as advice to a fool.

Guest dholden
Hi dan,

Yes Australis does require that you have at least six months expiry on your passport in order to enter the country,and there is also a risk that you could be denied boarding by the airline in the UK if they believe there is any risk of you being denied entry to Australia although that would be unlikely.

You can arrange to renew your UK passport while in the UK on holiday,you need to make an appointment with the IPS.

See the Direct .Gov page about passports here:

Passport applications and renewals if you are abroad or live outside the UK : Directgov - Travel and transport

The cost is £77.50 to renew in the UK for a standard passport which is a lot cheaper than the approximately $300.00 AUD that you have to pay here in Australia!.

Processing time for renewals in the UK is about 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jo

thanks for the info Jo,

I don't fancy the 3 week lead time for the passport, since i'm only home for 4 weeks and I assume I have to send off my current passport as part of the renewal process. i'll look into any ways to speed this up, I live in Manchester so going over to Liverpool is an option.

cheers,

thanks for the info Jo,

I don't fancy the 3 week lead time for the passport, since i'm only home for 4 weeks and I assume I have to send off my current passport as part of the renewal process. i'll look into any ways to speed this up, I live in Manchester so going over to Liverpool is an option.

cheers,

There is another way.

You can make an appointment with the IPS for a specific day. I did just this. I poopped into London for the day, went into the passport office at 11 a.m and it was ready by 3 pm.

I might add, that this option may only be available to overseas visitors like I was, but check it out.