Relocating to Brisbane 2010 - Roll Call!

Guest Benchola

Guest scally wag

Hello everyone,

We fly out to Brisbane on the 5th August. Staying in the Redland Bay area and going to have a great 4 weeks exploring! :jiggy:

Caroline x

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TA01085

The excitment will soon wear off. you have to realise it's not paradise just another westernised culture, i.e social issues, work, dog eat dog mentality. I was ready to return to the UK after 2 years but stay for our kids who now call this home.

The excitment will soon wear off. you have to realise it's not paradise just another westernised culture, i.e social issues, work, dog eat dog mentality. I was ready to return to the UK after 2 years but stay for our kids who now call this home.

Sorry to hear you are not as happy here as many of us. I still wake up each morning and feel lucky to be here. I sit having a picnic in the middle of winter, when the day is warm and sunny, watching my children playing happily and know that this is the place I am meant to be.

Love

Rudi

x

I must say the excitement hasnt worn off for us, we take the good with the bad and make the most out of what we have got. Australia opened so many doors for us that we could never have dreamed of in the UK, despite having quite a good life both socially and financially there.

In relation to the dog eat dog mentality,, jeez where do you live? lol 99% of the people we have come across in Australia have been fantastic and really friendly,and once they can understand our accents,lol, you can actually have a great laugh with them,lol.

Your right Oz isnt paradise and i dont think any of the members who have posted on this thread / forum think it is,, but for me and my family this place is mighty fine right now thank you.

Now

lets get this thread back on track, so is there anyone else planning on moving over to QLD in the next few months?

Cal x

Guest pom78

hi we have been here 1 month today we are living in hope island which is gorgeous be nice to maybe meet up with if any of you are near by.

Guest oggie1

Hi

We are leaving for Brisbane on 16th August heading for North Lakes.

Good luck to every one still waiting hope you dont have to wait to long

Rowena

Guest Benchola

Yeah... and ..... were you not in the least bit excited when you first moved out there.... if so, then let everyone else feel that and enjoy it!

hi all,

well, we finally arrived in Australia today! Staying in Sydney for a few days doing chores, visiting friends etc and also going to the final State of Origin game of the year, then heading up to Brisbane / Sunshine Coast at the end of the week.

So, so glad to be "home" and my partner is very excited to have emigrated.

good luck to you all, it is a beautiful country in so many ways and we can't wait to find our new home somewhere up north.

cheers sg

Heading off to Brisbane in September though not too sure where we are going to end up. Like many others it really depends on work, however my OH is likely to based at either UQ or QUT (Kelvin Grove) so will need somewhere easily commutable.

So looking forward to returning to Brisbane, I have missed the place, the people and the sunshine for a long time.

Guest Vicheh

Well, I'm glad we are not the only ones!! My husband is already there and we arrive July 23rd. Relocating to Wakerley - and would love to meet up with others in the same boat!!

Vicki, Andrew, Jeremy (5) and Tara (3)

Guest oggie1

Hi Pontepom

What time is your flight we fly out on 16th from manchester as well our flight is 17.20 with singapore.

Rowena

I've noticed on a couple of threads that there are a few people relocating (or have relocated) to Brisbane this year. I thought that it would be good if all those relocating (or those already relocated) could sign-up to this thread so that we can all keep tabs on each other and - in the not too distant future - meet-up in Brisbane?

We're flying out to Brisbane on 27 July 2010 and will be looking to live in or around the Kenmore / The Gap / Sinnamon Park / Chapel Hill / Ashgrove areas.

Matt (34), Sharon (34), Jacob (5), Isobel (21 months)

Great idea! We're hoping to get there in time to celebrate the end of 2010 and the start of our new lives! We might only just make it though as planning to spend Christmas with my mum.

We'll be staying with friends to start with in Chapel Hill - and then with more friends in Kenmore if we outstay our welcome! After that we're thinking about renting somewhere around Corpooroo/Norman Park or along the soutside of the river. Can't wait!

Obviously all this depends on the lovely visa people [please can we have a CO now?!] and selling the house, but we're optimistic!

Hopefully meet up with you all for drinks in the new year!

Nicky [38] and David [43]

Guest cosmicsis

Hi there we are flying to Brisbane on 17th August - not sure yet where we are going to be but i start work on 6th Sept so need to sort something! Would be very interested in meeting up with everyone. Has anyone booked with Quantas??

Guest mandj

hey , we got our visa the other day!! we are so excited. heading to Brisbane area in Jan 2011. Would defo be interested in meeting other people when we get there. Im Martina (32) and Jamie (32). A paddy and a pom!

Guest fionaj123

we arrive 9 weeks today, its all suddenly hit me out of the blue. I have major butterflies as I am so excited as its took around 10 years to plan this whole thing. we leave heathrow 4th september and arrive in brisbane 7.30pm 5th septmenber. we are going to stay in wynnum for the first month and decide where we want to live during that time. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

Guest oggie1

hI

Pontepom we were just wondering how you managed to get a 6 months lease we are starting to enquire about securing a house at the moment what kind of things did they ask for did you have to have a job before. Thanks for that Rowena.

we arrive 9 weeks today, its all suddenly hit me out of the blue. I have major butterflies as I am so excited as its took around 10 years to plan this whole thing. we leave heathrow 4th september and arrive in brisbane 7.30pm 5th septmenber. we are going to stay in wynnum for the first month and decide where we want to live during that time. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

Your excitment is infectious!! I feel excited for you - Good luck !

hI

Pontepom we were just wondering how you managed to get a 6 months lease we are starting to enquire about securing a house at the moment what kind of things did they ask for did you have to have a job before. Thanks for that Rowena.

Just sent you a pm

Howard

Guest Seabird50

We arrive at the end of the year from Adelaide.. Planning on being somewhere along the Ferny Grove train route as it heads straight to South Bank and we will at Uni/work on that side of the river.. Probably Mitchelton, Arana Hills, Ferny Grove or Engoterra/Gaythorne (want to live in Gaythorne just because it balances all those living in Manly... lol..)

We arrive at the end of the year from Adelaide.. Planning on being somewhere along the Ferny Grove train route as it heads straight to South Bank and we will at Uni/work on that side of the river.. Probably Mitchelton, Arana Hills, Ferny Grove or Engoterra/Gaythorne (want to live in Gaythorne just because it balances all those living in Manly... lol..)

I guess you realise most lines go through southbank?

Guest Seabird50
I guess you realise most lines go through southbank?

Maybe I got it wrong then.... Which lines go direct, I thought we would have to change at Roma Street coming from elsewhere? Likely to also need to get to West End once a week in the evening, and found it a real pain to drive there from Indooroopilly when we were there.

Wondering how the Go-Between bridge will increase the options for us, only found it online yesterday - bit big to miss!!!

Maybe I got it wrong then.... Which lines go direct, I thought we would have to change at Roma Street coming from elsewhere? Likely to also need to get to West End once a week in the evening, and found it a real pain to drive there from Indooroopilly when we were there.

Wondering how the Go-Between bridge will increase the options for us, only found it online yesterday - bit big to miss!!!

I think every line goes through southbank except the Ipswich/Caboolture line. The other lines from the north go through roma st, cross the bridge to southbank and carry on to the south and east.

Driving from indooroopilly to west end is fine except during peak. Probably take even longer from the suburbs you mentioned. Being south side suburbs the best access to southbank and west end driving through peak hour would be places like yeronga and yerongpilly.

The new go between bridge is a toll bridge. Might free a little peak hour traffic on a bad day.

The suburbs you mentioned are nice. Better than the bayside suburbs in my opinion though everyone likes different things.

Archived