Guest guest37336

Aboriginals, Any Middle Ground

Guest guest37336

Hi All.

I'm starting this thread with a little trepidation as this subject I imagine could cause some rather heated debate, and as a Pom my understanding of the issue could be somewhat suspect, but I will do my best to explain it.

As most of you will know I have been backwards and forwards to Australia over the past thirty years, and my experiences 'may' reflect this. MY experiences of the Aboriginals in Australia have been both good and bad. I used to work with a guy by the name Eric, on the council verge crew in Perth. He came from a long line of Aboriginals and was proud of his bloodline. Great bloke to talk to, hard worker, humorous, and never once did any of us EVER make any reference to his colour, he was just a bloke we worked with. All my work mates got on with him and never (well not in my earshot) did I ever here anything derogatory about him. Yep, we would all take the wee out of each other for which footie team we supported or any subject that came up, but never was colour an issue.

But I have also lived and worked in Cairns and Broome etc, and whilst I didn't mix to the same extent with any aboriginal the workmates I had here were of a vastly different tenure, in THEIR opinion there was no good Aboriginal and I won't go into detail about what they said about them, but it was fairly vicious in terms.

I have been sworn at, spat at and for all intents and purposes treated like scum by 'some' aboriginals but as I said earlier I worked with an Aboriginal that I am proud to say today still keeps in contact with me.

But to me there doesn't seem to be any middle ground when Aboriginals are mentioned. It's either love them, or hate them to some degree. Land issues, alcohol, centrelink etc, etc, normally raise there head when Aboriginals are spoken of.

As I said as Pom is not fair to offer any greater opinion, rather than to ask will the issue ever be resolved to everyones satisfaction. It just seems to me that Australia is divided into two camps, love and hate. This issue has been going on for decades and I dare say always will, but as Aussies does it purely depend on your experiences of Aboriginals in how you view them. And that viewpoint will never change due to your OWN experiences.

Cheers Tony

Guest famousfive

This issue is a very complicated one and a lot of Australians don't really know how or what to think.Some say one thing but practice another and I have at times been gobsmacked by peoples views and how they look down on Aboriginals,whom I might add are often nicer than the people who are judgemental of them.

Different generations seem to have different views and this is to be expected,especially when you remember that it's not that long ago since Aboriginals were still classed as flora and fauna and not even counted in the census.

My personal experience has been that many people pay lip service to the PC view that all are equal but when the chips are down they would not want to employ Aboriginals or move in next door to them for that matter.

I know many people who often cite the PC spiel on this issue and yet they all advised us not to send our kids to a particular school because it had a high percentage of Aboriginal students,so a definate bias there.

I really think it's time to lose the victim mentality on this one and I mean that from both sides.Whilst people are treated differently they will continue to be seen as different.Aboriginals are treated as if they will never make it without extra help and handouts and this is an awful generalisation.

I believe education and higher expectations are the key to this issue.

I only know a handful of Aboriginals,our kids are good friends with one little girl,and to me they are just people.Nothing more-nothing less,just the way it should be I reckon.

In fear of stirring the pot- may I just add that many people who say they are not racist and are accepting of people of a different race don't always follow this through in their views of their fellow Aboriginal Australians.

I will also add that I am not Australian,I am Irish and have seen a lot of the same attitude in how Irish people deal with the whole issue of the traveller /gypsy community there.

I always think it strange that the term 'aussie' is a badge of honour.

Yet 'abo' is the worst slur imaginable.

They are both just simple abbreviations of the longer word.

Is it just that we are so sensitive, any colloquial term for a minority group is immediately deemed offensive ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

Funny you should bring this up Tony as we are gearing up for NAIDOC week next week.

I have dealt with Aboriginals when I was working as a Financial Counsellor, got on well with them, even received a few hugs of thanks.

I am now working for the Department for Child Protection, and seeing a really different side of things. I think it is the stats that scare me the most. Aboriginals account for only 4% of the population in Perth, however, the number of children taken into care by DCP of Aboriginal families is currently sitting around 80%... very scary figures.

We have quite a few Aboriginal workers in DCP... though not nearly enough. All of them are great, infact our APL is the nicest women you could ever meet, but even the stats scare her.

You can't tar all Aboriginal people with the same brush, there are good and bad with everyone. I do think that having easy access to Alcohol is a problem with the Aboriginal Community, that is one of the reasons that Centrelink introduced Income Management in the NT.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers

Karen

Back in Canada over a year and half, miss some aspects of Australia but glad to back home. !!!!

If you have ever been on a mission that allows booze and one that doesn't you'll notice the difference.i worked on a few in nth qld.The best were the ones run by the women and had banned booze

Guest Aldo

I think there is a lot or resentment towards the Abo's from other Australians. I don't believe it is because they are a different colour, from speaking to non Aboriginal Australians it seems that they are regarded as lazy and constantly drunk, and with the special treatment they get doesn't exactly encourage them to get off the booze and get a job.

Aboriginal people must get jobs, says Opposition leader Tony Abbott | Courier Mail

I think there is a lot or resentment towards the Abo's from other Australians. I don't believe it is because they are a different colour, from speaking to non Aboriginal Australians it seems that they are regarded as lazy and constantly drunk, and with the special treatment they get doesn't exactly encourage them to get off the booze and get a job.

Aboriginal people must get jobs, says Opposition leader Tony Abbott | Courier Mail

same in canada and usa don't know the answer except governments have to build their self respect

I always think it strange that the term 'aussie' is a badge of honour.

Yet 'abo' is the worst slur imaginable.

They are both just simple abbreviations of the longer word.

Is it just that we are so sensitive, any colloquial term for a minority group is immediately deemed offensive ?

By that reasoning no word can carry extra meaning or be offensive eg the n word?