IT occupations off new list...

Guest JLT

Hi, Just wondered if there's anyone who has had their migration chances severely slashed due to the IT occupations being taken off the new list? We were planning to get in on SAP or IT project management but these aren't on the list anymore. Gutted! Let's hope they realise they still aren't fulfilling their critical skills demand and put the IT professions back on! And soon.

Oh Jo is it not looking good? Have you seen the PDF on the ACS site mapping the old codes to the new? There must be a way! Ask D whether he could do a PMO role. We'll have a CIO reporting role lkely to be advertised soon.

Thinking the new Business Analyst occupation may cover it. Also do Project Management which is in the task list for Business Analyst. Best if we could just find a job tho!

Are you in the UK or Oz at the moment? Have you got BCS membership or anything like that?

Very much in the UK... No membership - sorry don't know what that is! It's my husband who is the IT expert. I'm the one just doing all the donkey work and getting stressed! We'll also need to do an ACS RPL because his degree is in English. He's got loads of other quals tho like Prince 2, SAP and finishing an MBA now plus 10+ years work experience in utilities.

Thanks very much. This info is helpful and I'll certainly look into these memberships and recommend them to my OH.

It's such a mind-field and I'm not looking forward to starting the RPL. It's even harder because my OH is a contractor - for last 4 years. At least that's 4 years experience he can definitely claim for. Before that we only hope there are people who can speak up for the work he did. People move around tho and companies change. Transco where he worked for 8 years has changed so only hope they have those sorts of records still.

Where are you in terms of moving? Are you just waiting on the actual visa application now or are you sorted?

Brilliant - you got there! I feel like we never will. Time is pressing on and we're not getting younger. We only have a few years left to get this done.

Any jobs going?! How did you find yours?

It would be good to see what kind of thing you submitted. It's already been suggested that David write his own reference and they sign it. Presumably they have to put it onto their letterhead too - minor detail! He already knows the major players have moved on from the contacts which is a worry. HR departments are the most unhelpful!

David has agreed to apply for a Senior Business Consultant role so keep your fingers crossed they want him, without a visa!

Cheers

Are you in the UK or Oz at the moment? Have you got BCS membership or anything like that?

Hi

Do you know if BCS membership helps when trying to find a job in Oz (when applying outside of Oz)? OH and me are both BCS members.

Ta

Claire

Hi

Do you know if BCS membership helps when trying to find a job in Oz (when applying outside of Oz)? OH and me are both BCS members.

Ta

Claire

I don't know for sure but I would rather doubt it, I don't think even ACS membership would make much difference. Its all down to skills and experience, and in a lot of cases Australian experience. Getting the first job is most important.

Archived