State Migration Plans and State Sponsorship

Alan Collett

Guest Lankan1
I want to apply for SS and contacted Queensland State regarding the SMP this is the reply I had

Thank you for contacting the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation.

The Queensland Government has suspended processing of applications for State Sponsorship for visa subclass 176 since 19 April 2010. The suspension of processing was supposed to be lifted 1st of July 2010.

A Queensland State-sponsored and State regional-sponsored Migration Plan has been developed, and will be put in place subject to agreement with the Australian Government. Until the Plan is in place, Queensland may continue to nominate suitable applicants with an occupation on the current Queensland Eligible Skills Lists ( Queensland eligible skills ) as long as the occupation is also on the Australian Government's applicable SOL list - (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf). Please note that this implies that you will be assessed under the priority processing arrangements for your visa as decreed by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship ( http://www.immi.gov.au ).

Thank you and regards,

This message i recieved on the 09/07/2010. From reading this reply my understanding is that i can still apply for SS while waiting for the SMP as it may be a long time.would I be better off doing this than waiting for the SMP which may be a long wait ?.......

Hi,

Just wondering how come old ASCO codes are still there in Queensland eligible skill list. :nah:is this the new one! Eligible skills for the permanent residence visa

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest leccyman

It looks from Qld's website that the list of occupations is still their list which was revised on 30 June 2009. I think the 9 July 10 date refers to the page being updated rather than the list.

I've had a good scour around their website as I'm keen to find out when their SMP is due out and the skills occupations list for Qld on other pages within their website is still dated 30 June 09.

What seems to be confusing is that on their home page it says applications for SS are suspended until further notice and if you try to click through to the application form it gives you the message that its being updated so you couldn't apply yet anyway. Yet on the page of the website it mentions the SMP the above two people mention it sounds like you can apply for SS !!!

Guest Lankan1
It looks from Qld's website that the list of occupations is still their list which was revised on 30 June 2009. I think the 9 July 10 date refers to the page being updated rather than the list.

I've had a good scour around their website as I'm keen to find out when their SMP is due out and the skills occupations list for Qld on other pages within their website is still dated 30 June 09.

What seems to be confusing is that on their home page it says applications for SS are suspended until further notice and if you try to click through to the application form it gives you the message that its being updated so you couldn't apply yet anyway. Yet on the page of the website it mentions the SMP the above two people mention it sounds like you can apply for SS !!!

We'd better contact Queensland state and ask whether they have started for 2010

Hi

Not sure if anyone has seen the post made by dragsterwish "WA State Sponsorship Website is being updated! 8 July 2010"

He has found a list for WA SMP priority list... i found it helpful as OH is a general electrician and this says he will be a top priority so has made us feel better but I am fully aware how things can change but as it has come direct from a WA government site I feel it is worth holding out some hope this list rings true.

Sorry if this has already been mention..... below is the post from Dragsterwish

I found the State Priority Occupation List!!!

The Department of Training and Workforce Development - State priority occupation list

State priority occupation list

What is the State priority occupation list?

The State priority occupation list is an annually produced list of jobs that are in high demand or considered industry-critical in Western Australia.

Why do we have a State priority occupation list?

The list will inform Western Australian workforce development planning, the skilled migration occupation list and the development of the State Training Plan, which guides the funding of training programs.

Who produces the list?

The Department of Training and Workforce Development produces the list in consultation with key stakeholders including the State’s ten Training Councils.

How is the list produced?

The Department of Training and Workforce Development conducts extensive economic and labour market research and analysis at an industry and occupational level to determine the State’s priority occupations. This work is supplemented by intelligence provided by industry, facilitated through the State Training Board’s Training Council network.

Training Councils provide strategic advice on occupations considered to be experiencing skill shortages or are critical to their industry, based on research and consultation with industry.

The Department also undertakes an analysis of professional occupations, requiring higher education qualifications, to determine the high demand occupations.

The occupations are compiled into a list, which is cross-referenced against a number of skill shortages and migration-related lists, including the:

• Western Australian occupations in demand list;
  • Australian Government skilled occupation list;
  • Australian Government State and Territory skilled occupation list; and
  • Commonwealth Department of Education, Employment and Workforce Relations (DEEWR) skill shortages list.

The complete list is then validated and assessed by the Department, in consultation with each Training Council, against a series of indicators. These indicators include:

• current and forecast levels of employment growth within the specified occupations;
  • average weekly earnings and wages growth;
  • average age of existing employees across the occupation in Western Australia;
  • the level of turnover of staff within the occupation; and
  • current levels of training supply.

Based on the analysis of the above indicators, occupations with both vocational and higher education qualifications are categorised by the Department and Training Councils on a consensus basis as a Top Priority, High Priority or Priority occupation.

The list is presented with the official occupation title in the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations code used by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

What are Top Priority, High Priority and Priority occupations?

Top Priority occupations are characterised by a combination of one or more of the following factors:

• very large levels of employment;
  • high forecast growth and evident wage pressures;
  • high levels of skill;
  • longer education or training lead times;
  • clear education and training pathways; and/or
  • a clear and evident skills shortage.

High Priority occupations are characterised by:

• notable levels of employment;
  • medium levels of skill;
  • average training lead times;
  • clear training pathways; and/or
  • emerging evident skills or labour shortages or industry-related issues related to workforce development.

Priority occupations are characterised by:

• generally smaller employment sizes;
  • low or negative employment growth;
  • lower required levels of skill and training requirements; and/or
  • evident non-training related industry issues which are contributing to labour shortages.

Where is the list available?

You can download the list here. (click below link instead)

(http://www.dtwd.wa.gov.au/dtwd/detcm...tem-id-9702004

Guest skipling

Hi All

I've just been trying to catch up with all the posts in this thread and others after hibernating for a bit. However, since I don't want to miss the boat again, I figure it's best I keep up-to-date.

I do have one question - hoping someone can answer, but I expect due to the massive lack of information coming from DIAC - the answer may be speculative.

So... for applications lodged prior to the changes (Oct '09 in my case) - can the application be switched from Family Sponsored to SMP?

I recall reading on one thread that new applications cannot be switched, but I'm not sure about the situation on older applications.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the WA SMP, although I'm not holding my breath that my role with be on it. On the above list it's only listed as Priority. I had applied to them before (off-list) and as luck would have it they ran out of off-list allocation right before they got to me. Typical. But, if my job is on the new SMP (unlikely), this may turn out to be a blessing. One can hope!

Thanks

Suzie

Hi Suzie,

I understand because I too am family sponsored. But why do we now have to start looking at the SMP's ( when they are available ) to see if we are on their respective lists?

My family are in WA. They have sponsored me. Now I have to apply to WA to join their SMP? It doesn't make sense to me. If my occupation is on WA's SMP surely DIAC should be able to take this into consideration? I'm sorry, I feel like contacting them and asking them whether they want my skills in Australia or not? If the answer is yes please tell me when my application is likely to be processed. If the answer is no what on earth do they want me to do now? Start looking at the SMP's after waiting almost fifteen months? Why if my sponsor lives in WA anyhow? I thought SMP's were for applicants who apply after 1st July 2010.

Just be professional and honest. I have done nothing wrong. Either process my visa or promptly refund my fees please!

Cheers

Gary

Guest skipling

Hi gmac

I didn't mean to alarm you.

As I understand it - Family Sponsored are processing priority 6 and will be processed in due course. That is when applications in priority groups 1-5 are complete. And existing applications are apparently unaffected by the recent changes.

Applications with State Sponsorship on the new SMP will be processing priority 2 - so they will be processed sooner. This is why I'd like to try for State Sponsorship, if I can of course. If not, my existing application remains as is and will be processed eventually... unlikely in the next 12 months (at least that's how I feel). Before the processing priority groups were put in place all applications were processed in date order. Which I'm pretty sure a large number of people on PIO would love to see return. More chance of finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!!

By the sound of it, your application is already lodge and you don't have to do anything else.

This is purely a personal choice for me and my family.

Hi Suzie,

Thanks for the help. The idea is to have one's visa processed as soon as is possible. Priority was introduced retrospectively by DIAC once the backlog became unmanageable. Applicants then starting queue jumping in a sense by trying to receive more priority.

DIAC then introduced a whole new ball game as from 1st July 2010. Nobody knows what the rules are or what is priority anymore.

From my understanding under the old rules they were processing the old state sponsored applicants ( catagory 5 ) and were close to starting on catagory 6. This backlog was supposed to be all cleared before the new system starts up again hence the restrictions and blocks on applications during the past few months.

I'm not saying that anyone should or should not be able to jump the queue anymore, it's just that I was under the impression that DIAC had put a stop to all that nonsense as from 1st July 2010?

Cheers,

Gary

Guest Wannabeoz
Hi Suzie,

Thanks for the help. The idea is to have one's visa processed as soon as is possible. Priority was introduced retrospectively by DIAC once the backlog became unmanageable. Applicants then starting queue jumping in a sense by trying to receive more priority.

DIAC then introduced a whole new ball game as from 1st July 2010. Nobody knows what the rules are or what is priority anymore.

From my understanding under the old rules they were processing the old state sponsored applicants ( catagory 5 ) and were close to starting on catagory 6. This backlog was supposed to be all cleared before the new system starts up again hence the restrictions and blocks on applications during the past few months.

I'm not saying that anyone should or should not be able to jump the queue anymore, it's just that I was under the impression that DIAC had put a stop to all that nonosense as from 1st JUly 2010?

Cheers,

Gary

Afraid not. Apparently there are still lots of 1-4s to process, and they haven't processed many of the Cat 5s - only some who had done their meds etc prior to the September changes. I for one am a Cat 5 who applied last August, and I've heard nothing. Sorry to be a downer, but I'm afraid they still have a huge backlog...

Afraid not. Apparently there are still lots of 1-4s to process, and they haven't processed many of the Cat 5s - only some who had done their meds etc prior to the September changes. I for one am a Cat 5 who applied last August, and I've heard nothing. Sorry to be a downer, but I'm afraid they still have a huge backlog...

And we are CAT 5's f rom FEB 2009 and still nothing....so the back log of cat 5s is most definitely not done with yet!

Hi Suzie,

I'm not saying that anyone should or should not be able to jump the queue anymore, it's just that I was under the impression that DIAC had put a stop to all that nonsense as from 1st July 2010?

Cheers,

Gary

Hello Gary.

Unfortunately you must either obtain State or Territory sponsorship or reconcile yourself to a longer wait than is necessary.

See also: Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Best regards.

Guest bindog1uk

How ridiculous that people from2008 are still waiting, I really cannot believe that DIAC could come up with any real excuses for such bad managment, it's dissgraceful. I think that peeps from 2008 should now be priority 1.

Now of course we are waiting for their excuses when they don't hit their dates for not releasing the SMP's, totally frustrating:arghh:Lesley

Hello Gary.

Unfortunately you must either obtain State or Territory sponsorship or reconcile yourself to a longer wait than is necessary.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan,

Having read your news article I remain unclear to what their direction is.

I am starting to get the impression that processing times are determined by the " system " and it is the " system " which decides when and where this will take place.

My first point is what is the difference between the old system and the new system? There are a group of family sponsored applications who are now approaching the 2 year mark ( 18months in my case ).

Can you indicate how long it is going to take them to introduce SMP's? How long is going to take applicants to have a SMP assessment and get a positive result? Another 12 months perhaps? Then finally, are DIAC going to rename them something else maybe? There is also most likely be applicants who have been family sponsored waiting patiently, and are now looking for sponsorship from the back of beyond so they can be reunited with their indigenous ancestors perhaps?

My point here is that surely their is someone at DIAC capable of saying this applicant has been waiting nearly 2 years etc, his sponsors reside in WA, his skills are required in Australia, his skills are required in WA ( when they eventually get round to publishing the respective SMP ) so he/ she shouldn't waste another 2 years waiting for additional things to be processed. When I applied I was told I could wait another 6 months for a case officer. Now people are sitting round twiddling their thumbs waiting for some lazy can't be bothered to decide whether their occupation is on a particular SMP or other. Whose idea was this anyway and for what purpose?

To me everything they have introduced just delay's the visa process. If you could indicate whether you can predict that applying for SMP will have more benefit than following the cricket, let me know what I have to do, and I will no doubt take up your offer.

Many thanks again, cheers,

Gary

Guest CarlaAndGary
Hello again Gary.

My view is as set out in the Go Matilda News article: apply for sponsorship under a SMP as soon as you know you have that strategy available to you.

Best regards.

Hello, just dipping into this discussion as I'm a bit confused (again!)

We haven't applied for anything yet as I only found out my skills are apparently in demand in WA but I can't ask WA to sponsor me yet as there's a hold on this. Is this still the case? Does anyone know when I will be likely to apply?

Thanks

How ridiculous that people from2008 are still waiting, I really cannot believe that DIAC could come up with any real excuses for such bad managment, it's dissgraceful. I think that peeps from 2008 should now be priority 1.

Now of course we are waiting for their excuses when they don't hit their dates for not releasing the SMP's, totally frustrating:arghh:Lesley

Hi bindog1uk,

Yes there is no surprise what DIAC is upto? There are still 2007 applicants like us. I am 496 applicants. As they have announced ceasing on all permanent applications of Pre September 2007. But as we applied provisional applications way back in August 2007. They have not told us anything about us... I do not know what is going to be there. It has been two weeks since they are sending ceasing letters to all these permanent applications. But till this date they have not mentioned anything about our applications whether we are going to be processed or being ceased.

Guest bindog1uk
Hi bindog1uk,

Yes there is no surprise what DIAC is upto? There are still 2007 applicants like us. I am 496 applicants. As they have announced ceasing on all permanent applications of Pre September 2007. But as we applied provisional applications way back in August 2007. They have not told us anything about us... I do not know what is going to be there. It has been two weeks since they are sending ceasing letters to all these permanent applications. But till this date they have not mentioned anything about our applications whether we are going to be processed or being ceased.

I think they owe it to people like you who have been waiting for so long, to give you either answers or a visa. I'm not an intellectual person but I do know right from wrong, people paying out thousands of pounds, putting their lives on hold and also the distress to the rest of their familys, but I think the worst thing is not having answers, what are their reasons for all the delays:arghh: hope they sort you out soon, good luck:wink: Lesley

Guest anj1976

As was being discussed sometime back, those with ss would require a letter from each state for converting from ss to SMP, now my point is, those like us who got the skill assessed way back in 2008 (may 08 in our case), how will the state give a letter, our ACS assessment expired last year. If at all say the state sponsoring us, ACT for now, doesnt have the skill in their list but other state has, what do we do? no state would take a new application if the assessment has expired. and for that matter, how true is this conversion bit from ss to SMP?

I sent an email to julienne at ACT to ask about the same, she did not deny or confirm, all she said was wait till August. Which means it might be the case that one has to contact teh state again to convert from ss to SMP..

All this is Bl***y confusing.. More than being confusing, it is frustrating.. specially for those who have been waiting for over 2 yrs. Bajwa for example, 3+ years of wait is insane..

Guest anj1976
I think they owe it to people like you who have been waiting for so long, to give you either answers or a visa. I'm not an intellectual person but I do know right from wrong, people paying out thousands of pounds, putting their lives on hold and also the distress to the rest of their familys, but I think the worst thing is not having answers, what are their reasons for all the delays:arghh: hope they sort you out soon, good luck:wink: Lesley

In case of Indians 2500A$ is huge.. Indian currency is not as strong as the pound or euro or dollar is, neither is Indian salaries as highly paying as the US, UK, AU etc. For someone who makes 100,000A$ in Australia would make about 22-24,000 A$ here in India/annually. For someone earning 100k/annual it is easier to take out 2.5k but fr someone making 20k it is almost one months pay for him. and mind it 2500 is only the visa fee, what about the rest, agent fee, documentation cost, assessment plus all these years wasted. I waited for Australia for way too long only to realise had I applied for Canada a couple of months back i would have still been considered but now I can not as my skill is out of the list.. Such is life :)

Hello Gary.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Further to your advice, to say I am confused is an understatement.

Firstly I was seemingly under the impression that SMP was an alternative route to Independent and Sponsored GSM.

Secondly as from 1st July 2010, there would be no more applying for state sponsorship. People who are already State sponsored are therefore now in limbo? Although they are category 5, whereas Family sponsored applicants are category 6.

Having analysed what Skills Australia are saying in terms of one job for one migrant this doesn't add up.

My nominated occupation is HR Manager not Migration consultant. My deadlines for reaching Australia have depended on DIAC processing my application. DIAC have failed me miserably.

In view of the timescales we are dealing with please outline what timescales you are dealing with in terms of switching my processing strategy to SMP. Please bear in mind that my sponsor lives in WA ( so therefore I would prefer to move to WA ) and moreover I was 44 years of age when I applied under GSM and I will be 47 years of age next April. Perhaps we may aim to have me settled in Australia before I am 50? Or should we go for 55?

I am not really impressed with DIAC's voice activated customer service and reference to "what's new", so if you could indicate whether you think you could help to sort this mess out, with no stress to me, I will be very pleased.

Kind regards,

Gary

Hello again Gary.

Yes, based on your comments you do indeed seem to be confused - and indeed a tad frustrated by the limbo in which you find yourself.

Nevertheless, I thought my response was pretty clear on what you need to do to optimise your prospects of securing a visa within what some would consider a reasonable timeline.

If you are still uncertain about your strategy I recommend you might consider engaging an advisor to help you manage the process from here to a visa decision. If you would like me to arrange for someone to telephone you please send me an email (click on my name to the left of this post).

Best regards.

Archived