State Migration Plans and State Sponsorship

Alan Collett

Guest anj1976

Hi Jupiter

congratulations, this is the begining. my case is similar, not really same.. applied 2008 sept for 175, non CSL, non MODL, applied for ss in 2009 April, gt the same from ACT in Sept 2009, waiting ever since.. have not got PCC and meds done yet..

Mat shared the link with me and yeah this brings a smile on my face.. cant wait to read the got it post from you

cheers

Anj

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jupiter123

Thanks for your wishes Anj and all the best to you too.

Hi Jupiter

congratulations, this is the begining. my case is similar, not really same.. applied 2008 sept for 175, non CSL, non MODL, applied for ss in 2009 April, gt the same from ACT in Sept 2009, waiting ever since.. have not got PCC and meds done yet..

Mat shared the link with me and yeah this brings a smile on my face.. cant wait to read the got it post from you

cheers

Anj

State Migration Plan

A Queensland State-sponsored and State regional-sponsored Migration Plan has been developed, and will be put in place subject to agreement with the Australian Government.

Despite some speculation and wishful thinking, there is, as yet, no Queensland State Migration Plan.

The rest of the information on the Queensland Government website refers to current situation:

Until the Plan is in place, Queensland may continue to nominate suitable applicants with an occupation on the current Queensland Eligible Skills Lists as long as the occupation is also on the Australian Government's Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

The Skilled Occupation List referred to here is the Schedule 3 list in Legislative Instrument IMMI 10/026.

Please note that the Queensland Government will only nominate occupation on its own skills lists, and then only if it is also on the Schedule 3 SOL.

The Queensland Government’s skills lists on its website have the ASCO codes. AS DIAC is now using ANZCSO codes, agents should check that any current Queensland occupations are on the DIAC’s correlated Schedule 3 list. In most cases for Queensland, this will probably not be a problem, as most of their occupations seem to have a direct correlation between ASCO and ANZSCO, but always double check.

The Queensland Government has advised the MIA that for their own processing purposes, they are prioritising applications for occupations such as doctors, nurses and engineers, as these seem to be subject to the fewest forthcoming changes.

The Queensland Government is currently not nominating occupations from [ASCO] Schedule 4, although when the Queensland State Migration Plan is developed and approved, it may have some occupations from [ASCO] Schedule 4.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Jupiter

cheers

Anj

Hey Anj

Even my time line is the same... are you from an HR country

Guest anj1976

Hi Sherin

Yes I am from India.. But it really is alright, last 2 years have taught me to be patient.. I have moved on, I dont bother with it much. If it is meant to be, it will and i am sure this year it will happen :)

Guest Gollywobbler
hi Virtual_bajwa

i do visit but not as regularly.. i read often though :)

thanks anyways :)

Hi there

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Please visit Poms in Oz more regularly. :policeman:

:biglaugh::wubclub:

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
State Migration Plan

A Queensland State-sponsored and State regional-sponsored Migration Plan has been developed, and will be put in place subject to agreement with the Australian Government.

Despite some speculation and wishful thinking, there is, as yet, no Queensland State Migration Plan.

The rest of the information on the Queensland Government website refers to current situation:

Until the Plan is in place, Queensland may continue to nominate suitable applicants with an occupation on the current Queensland Eligible Skills Lists as long as the occupation is also on the Australian Government's Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

The Skilled Occupation List referred to here is the Schedule 3 list in Legislative Instrument IMMI 10/026.

Please note that the Queensland Government will only nominate occupation on its own skills lists, and then only if it is also on the Schedule 3 SOL.

The Queensland Government’s skills lists on its website have the ASCO codes. AS DIAC is now using ANZCSO codes, agents should check that any current Queensland occupations are on the DIAC’s correlated Schedule 3 list. In most cases for Queensland, this will probably not be a problem, as most of their occupations seem to have a direct correlation between ASCO and ANZSCO, but always double check.

The Queensland Government has advised the MIA that for their own processing purposes, they are prioritising applications for occupations such as doctors, nurses and engineers, as these seem to be subject to the fewest forthcoming changes.

The Queensland Government is currently not nominating occupations from [ASCO] Schedule 4, although when the Queensland State Migration Plan is developed and approved, it may have some occupations from [ASCO] Schedule 4.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Morning, George

Your post has crossed with a question that I wanted/still want to ask, hence I came into the thread but then got sidetracked for a while.

Do you think that this "interim message" from QLD means that QLD think it will take some considerable time before they and DIAC are able to agree on what QLD's new SMP ought to say? Or am I reading between the lines too much, here?

Many thanks

Gill

Hi Gill,

There's clearly going to be an election called.

We are already well over time in bringing out the SMPs. We know that WA had a draft ready to go in May, and that it quite appropriately undertook public consultation in early June about its draft. The ACT, South Australia and Queensland have all made it clear publicly that they are ready to proceed.

Why the delay?

It may be that DIAC decides that taking decisions on SMPs at this time would be inappropriately political on election eve. It may be that DIAC has unrealistic and naive expectations of what it means to negotiate with the Australian State governments. It may be that the state governments have unrealistic and naive expectations of DIAC and in particular no sensible understanding of how hard it is to bring a program like this in while meeting the needs of the Australian polity and the legitimate expectations of applicants. It may be that the Minister has been slow in working through his boxes. It may be that the change of Prime Minister has changed the political landscape already.

But enough speculation. It's clear that the eight states and DIAC need to agree on certain parameters, and each state needs to agree with DIAC on an actual plan. Are you offering your services as a marriage guidance counsellor perhaps? If, as now seems likely, 1 August comes and goes, I would expect Peter Mares to have a lot of fun since by then at least some of the states will be quite happy to talk about the failure of the process with him.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Well put, George.

It is - frankly - a disgrace that this matter is being allowed to drag on.

Based on what I have heard and read the delay can only be caused at Federal level. I would have thought the Federal Government would want this sort of matter to be behind it as we enter the election period ... without wanting to be overtly political .... but what the heck ... the ALP really could not organise the proverbial **** up in a brewery, at least not without losing control organisationally.

Lets hope for some good news soon, but really ... lets not hold our collective breaths waiting.

Onwards!

Guest WAhopeful

Everyone seems well advanced in their applications all be it at different stages - good luck to all! Having spent the last 7 months chasing our agents after providing all the required information and having paid half the fees, we found out that our application was just hybernating in their offices....and as a result never making it for processing before the May "suspension". Cutting our losses on so far unrecovered fees, we are determined to attempt applying ourselves.

Would anyone be able to list the steps needed to apply for State Sponsorship so we can gain some assurance over what we are doing at the moment, in readiness for open doors in August, is correct and complete?

Thank you.

Guest VickyMel

State sponsored is changing to SMPs and many of the states have shut down applications for the moment.

You may need to wait until the SMPs are out but maybe check the old SS lists to see what they used to sponsor I imagine (but don't know) it will be a similar or shorter version of those lists.

A good site to use to get to the different states web sites is

State and Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Each fo the different states are interested in different occupations. I started by going through each of the lists and seeing who was interested in my OHs occupation. There is a 176 list (PR) and also a temp visa list. Once you find out who might sponsor you then take a look at the things you might have to provide them with (again this may change - seems likely) it may be they want you to show work experience, or a certain amount of funds, or skills assessments. Different states differ in what you need to show for the SS application.

Things may change re the switch from SS to SMP but hopefully it will give you a bit of an idea.

(Note the job codes have changed - if you have already had your skills assessed check out if you need to do anything to get them into the new format - I really don't know it was just a thought given you were already part of the way along?).

Good luck

VickyMel

I dont actually understand this, so are QLD still offering state sponsorship ? As far as I was aware they were not currently offering states sponsorship and waiting until the SMP is released. Their website does actually states differently and if you have a valid TRN you will be considered Skilled migration to Queensland, Australia

However a response I got from them directly told me to hold off :-

"Thank you for contacting the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation.

Processing of 176 State Sponsorship applications is currently suspended. This mirrors the decision of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). It is expected that DIAC will re-commence accepting and processing such visa applications by 1 July 2010.

May I suggest that you await till then as that date is also likely to coincide with the release of our - State Sponsorship - 'eligible' skills list. Any comment on eligibility for State Sponsorship prior to the release of our lists will not be fruitful."

Hi Sherin

Yes I am from India.. But it really is alright, last 2 years have taught me to be patient.. I have moved on, I dont bother with it much. If it is meant to be, it will and i am sure this year it will happen :)

Even I am from India and has been in the process for 1.5 yrs now...the plight of being from a HR country is the wait is longer usually for the internal checks etc even after getting a co I hear it could go on for months.

Guest anj1976

Sherin, i do not agree with you there, i know HR zone has more stringent internal checking but it also depends on the kind of documents you provide. I have known some who got their visas in a couple of months post applying and yes they are form India and had applied for 175 under CSL.

I used an agent and he is clear on one thing, your visa, assessment, state sponsorship.. basically everything to do with migration depends on what documents you provide. the more the merrier and faster. Dont give them a chance to doubt your application and Bingo ur visa would be in your hands faster than the others.

Our application for ss, ACS and Diac was good 175 documents thick.. Costed me HUGE bucks to get it across my agent but yeah i got my assessment letter in 19 days flat.. My ss took 6 months but that had nothing to do with documents, ACT was trying to figure what IT applicants should be rejected..on and forth. :)

Sherin, i do not agree with you there, i know HR zone has more stringent internal checking but it also depends on the kind of documents you provide. I have known some who got their visas in a couple of months post applying and yes they are form India and had applied for 175 under CSL.

I used an agent and he is clear on one thing, your visa, assessment, state sponsorship.. basically everything to do with migration depends on what documents you provide. the more the merrier and faster. Dont give them a chance to doubt your application and Bingo ur visa would be in your hands faster than the others.

Our application for ss, ACS and Diac was good 175 documents thick.. Costed me HUGE bucks to get it across my agent but yeah i got my assessment letter in 19 days flat.. My ss took 6 months but that had nothing to do with documents, ACT was trying to figure what IT applicants should be rejected..on and forth. :)

Thanks I will also put some pressure on my agent and sent all the relevant documents ...

Guest Susan Wareham McGrath

With the Gillard government in election mode, it is expected that the Federal election will be called very soon.

As soon as that happens, the government will be in caretaker mode, which means it will not be able to make any significant decisions which will commit the incoming government.

So, unfortunately, unless SMPs are signed off before the election is called, there will be a delay until at least late August before they are implemented, regardless of which party wins the election.

And why did this whole matter of Evans signing off on SMPs, which could have been so simple, have to become so complicated? Who knows?

Yet another example of the fumbling bureaucratism that has become the DIAC brand and makes a joke of DIAC's position statement "People Our Business".

Best regards

Susan

With the Gillard government in election mode, it is expected that the Federal election will be called very soon.

As soon as that happens, the government will be in caretaker mode, which means it will not be able to make any significant decisions which will commit the incoming government.

So, unfortunately, unless SMPs are signed off before the election is called, there will be a delay until at least late August before they are implemented, regardless of which party wins the election.

And why did this whole matter of Evans signing off on SMPs, which could have been so simple, have to become so complicated? Who knows?

Yet another example of the fumbling bureaucratism that has become the DIAC brand and makes a joke of DIAC's position statement "People Our Business".

Best regards

Susan

Hi Susan,

I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly. How about rebranding them " Ruining People's Lives Our Business "

My Aussie Visa application has turned into a bad dream. One let down after another. I was expecting an anouncement regarding an election, but I am absolutely amazed that this is their latest excuse for not making progress. Deadline after deadline passes and nothing. It seems I have been waiting for July 1st for ages and for what? it's a joke they are having a laugh surely. Look at DIAC's website. Latest news? it's pathetic.

Gill, myself and many others have been focusing on the SMP's. Another disaster area.

I have been reading to my horror that people are giving up. Then there are those who can't give up because they have put everything into making it happen, savings, careers, families, livelihoods.

I haven't been posting as much lately because I was expecting something to happen soon. Some kind of announcement. I don't know what to do? Do I need professional help? I have a 60 point occupation ( HR Manager and it's on their lists for God's sake), IELTS score 8.5, family sponsored 176, applied 22/ 04/ 09. Don't know what to do? Surely it's a good case? Can you advise or do I need to be registered as a client with you?

Cheers

Gary

Guest itsSHIRLEY

I want to apply for SS and contacted Queensland State regarding the SMP this is the reply I had

Thank you for contacting the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation.

The Queensland Government has suspended processing of applications for State Sponsorship for visa subclass 176 since 19 April 2010. The suspension of processing was supposed to be lifted 1st of July 2010.

A Queensland State-sponsored and State regional-sponsored Migration Plan has been developed, and will be put in place subject to agreement with the Australian Government. Until the Plan is in place, Queensland may continue to nominate suitable applicants with an occupation on the current Queensland Eligible Skills Lists ( Queensland eligible skills ) as long as the occupation is also on the Australian Government's applicable SOL list - (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf). Please note that this implies that you will be assessed under the priority processing arrangements for your visa as decreed by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship ( http://www.immi.gov.au ).

Thank you and regards,

This message i recieved on the 09/07/2010. From reading this reply my understanding is that i can still apply for SS while waiting for the SMP as it may be a long time.would I be better off doing this than waiting for the SMP which may be a long wait ?.......

Archived