State Migration Plans and State Sponsorship

Alan Collett

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks; I cant apply for my 176 without the SS, can I ?, I'm 5 points short of the 175 as are most nurses now. I know I haven't waited any time really in comparison to so many on PIO, but its the inactivity, thats doing my head in, all the time I was getting things arranged I was quite happy, but just keep waiting is dreadful, Lord knows what I'll be like once my visa application is in.

Hi TinaG

I just want to comment that keeping Nurses hanging about until the desired State gets its SMP into place and then waiting for the State to confirm SMP sponsorship before the visa application can be made in its turn is hardly likely to do anything towards improving the health of Australia's sick people.

Nobody apart from the Suits at DIAC in Canberra could possibly have devised a more moronic, time wasting idea for people whose occupation is direly needed by every single State in Australia, it seems to me. As for the sick and suffering of Australia, "People Our Business" have not bothered to consider their needs at all, ergo so much for the idea that the Suits consider anybody's Business apart from their own, in my view.

:mad:

Cheers

Gill

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
We had an internal (within Go Matilda, incorporating OE Visas and Tony Coates) discussion about this issue earlier in the week.

We presently believe (based on DIAC practice in the past) that a s/c 175 application will be processed to a decision as a 175, even if State sponsorship eventuates - in other words the application won't transition to a s/c 176 following State sponsorship, and will be finalised under the original 175 subclass.

Remember that a s/c 175 application can be lodged with 100 points:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

I again say that TinaG should discuss this issue - and consider engaging - a RMA if she wants to consider lodging an application now to get "ahead of the pack." She ought not proceed based solely on my comments on a discussion forum.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

I understand what you and the others were saying in your internal discussion.

I think you are probably right as far as it goes.

However, what about if the new Cap & Kill Bill becomes law? The Moronic (I mean the Minister) might decide to Cap & Kill all the remaining nurses who have already applied under sc 175, on the basis that Sydney does not require any more GSM visa holding Nurses, apparently.

If he does that then presumably he would refund the Nurse for her DIAC fees alone and tell her to try again via SMP sponsorship in one of the States?

Sod the sick and suffering members of the Aussie population, it appears.....

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Looking at George's post above, I've had two thoughts:

Eliminating the 15 MODL points makes it difficult to get a 175 visa these days. So most applicants are going to have to wait on being granted state sponsorship before they can lodge with DIAC. This will stop large numbers applying at the last minute before announced changes are implemented.

It will also prevent applications from those who can't get state sponsorship from ever being lodged.

It strikes me as being a pretty clever piece of legislation.

Hi Graemsay

Yes, I think you are right as far as you go but it strikes me as being an utterly daft piece of legislation where a nurse, a doctor or a vitally important engineer is involved.

The same might also be true if the person's occupation is in the field of IT but since I know zilch about the workings of commercial IT systems, I can't comment about IT people and whether or not they and doctors are needed with equal urgency.

As for getting your house's domestic dunny in Perth fixed any time soon, forget it. Just treat it well and pray that it will not go wrong, I am told. The senior DIAC man in London told me that he has heard that it is impossible to get a Plumber in Perth to come over to fix a domestic dunny at present. He has heard that all the Plumbers have gone up-country, to install and fix the en suite dunnies in the dongas instead because they get paid much more for doing that than for hanging about in Perth waiting for a domestic dunny to go wrong. DIAC said it, not me!

Cheers

Gill

In effect this will give the Department a 1-4 month holiday from any "spike" caused by the announcement of SMPs.

George Lombard

Hi George

You and Alan are doing a great job helping us lot understand this mess - thank you :wubclub:

In your opinion, do you think this may open a doorway of opportunity for the Cat 5 group?

Cheers

Tasha

Hi Gill,

I should have qualified my post by saying that it's a clever piece of legislation for DIAC's own political ends, which seem to be about keeping the number of outstanding applications (and hence queue) to a manageable size.

The shortage of the apocryphal plumbers in Perth has probably been more adversely affected by the CSL. It's apparent from the forums that very few tradies have been granted visas, and I know that WA was desperate for them back in 2007, so the situation has probably worsened since then.

They don't seem to have a desperate need for IT workers there in any case.

For computing professionals, the market's pretty buoyant at present, but the demand seems to be in the east of the country, and in Sydney in particular (which ironically doesn't seem keen on sponsoring that many programmers). I don't know whether there's a major skills shortage or not, but that often seems to be a keyword for a lack of highly trained and experienced staff willing to work for peanuts. :wink:

As for nurses, I think that the biggest restriction is actually the IELTS test, which discriminates against those from outside of the English speaking world. I know several Chinese who are struggling to get through that (and there are a few Brits here too). I'm not sure whether there's a general shortage of nursing staff, but it's apparently easy for them to find a job in Melbourne.

Guest spurious
Remember that a s/c 175 application can be lodged with 100 points:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

Reading between the lines a bit, perhaps that's what Evans was getting at when he said:

My department is also contemplating a new migrant selection model. Under this model, prospective immigrants will be invited to lodge an expression of interest to emigrate to Australia, and will be selected for migration as and when the need arises.

Speculating further, it could also be what Julia Gillard meant when describing a 'two speed immigration policy'

In other words, Australia could well be heading towards a migration system in which the only sure-fire route to a visa is through a job offer or sponsorship from a state/territory. Anybody else (i.e. those wanting to migrate purely under their own skill & experience) would just have to 'lodge an expression of interest' and hope they get picked, a bit like New Zealand.

Hi there

Im afraid this whole state migraton plan and state sponsorship stuff is wrecking my head altogether. Can someone please tell me if we will be classed as possible "old style" sponsorship or new state migration plan sponsorship?

My husband is a carpenter. We applied for the 175 in Jan 09. In March 2010 we applied for state sponsorship for WA in the hope of getting processed quicker. We have not heard back as yet, but we are expecting to hear from them soon as they are processing Feb applications now.

If we were to be granted our ss next week say for instance, i am wondering whether they would class it as the old style ss, seing as wa has not yet issued their smp or will they be classing any sponsorships granted from 1st july onwards as being on the new state migration basis.

Its all so confusing, i am altogether sick and tired of trying to get my head around diac's constant changes. If its like this before you even live in oz, god knows what its like living there, am beginning to have my doubts about whether its all worth it to be honest! Getting to the stage now where i'll be absolutely gobsmacked if we ever do get this visa, every couple of months that go by make the dream seem further and further away. Sorry to sound so negative. Have been so positive up til now, but its hard to be on an up every day.

Guest gkhan

I have +ve ACS assessment and VIC SS and I want to apply Visa-176, which SOL is valid for me Schedule 4 OR 3

Please Advice

Guest Debs38
Hi there

Im afraid this whole state migraton plan and state sponsorship stuff is wrecking my head altogether. Can someone please tell me if we will be classed as possible "old style" sponsorship or new state migration plan sponsorship?

My husband is a carpenter. We applied for the 175 in Jan 09. In March 2010 we applied for state sponsorship for WA in the hope of getting processed quicker. We have not heard back as yet, but we are expecting to hear from them soon as they are processing Feb applications now.

If we were to be granted our ss next week say for instance, i am wondering whether they would class it as the old style ss, seing as wa has not yet issued their smp or will they be classing any sponsorships granted from 1st july onwards as being on the new state migration basis.

Its all so confusing, i am altogether sick and tired of trying to get my head around diac's constant changes. If its like this before you even live in oz, god knows what its like living there, am beginning to have my doubts about whether its all worth it to be honest! Getting to the stage now where i'll be absolutely gobsmacked if we ever do get this visa, every couple of months that go by make the dream seem further and further away. Sorry to sound so negative. Have been so positive up til now, but its hard to be on an up every day.

Hi

I know exactly how your feeling... My O/H is also a carpenter and we were granted SS for WA in Dec 09 we had originally applied for a 176 family sponsor in June 09 . I contacted DIAC about the SMP and how it would affect us .Here is the response i got

Dear Client,

Thank you for your email in relation to your visa application under Australia's

General Skilled Migration program.

At this stage the State Migration Plans have not been finalised.

I can confirm that if your nominated occupation is on the State Migration Plan,

your application would transfer to a higher priority.

So keep your chin up and heres hoping we are on the SMP :smile:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

I know exactly how your feeling... My O/H is also a carpenter and we were granted SS for WA in Dec 09 we had originally applied for a 176 family sponsor in June 09 . I contacted DIAC about the SMP and how it would affect us .Here is the response i got

Dear Client,

Thank you for your email in relation to your visa application under Australia's

General Skilled Migration program.

At this stage the State Migration Plans have not been finalised.

I can confirm that if your nominated occupation is on the State Migration Plan,

your application would transfer to a higher priority.

So keep your chin up and heres hoping we are on the SMP :smile:

Hi there

I'm not convinced that the DIAC person who responded to you has necessarily given you accurate advice.

Please read Alan Collett's first post on the first page of this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/89372-state-migration-plans-state-sponsorship.html

Alan has been talking with the bosses of the Immigration Departments in the different States. I think his and their analysis of the way this is going is likely to be much more accurate than the information that the DIAC person has told you.

DIAC in Canberra won't tell their operations staff anything. The staff who deal with the public every day will find out what the new SMP rules will be at the same time as ordinary members of the public and Registered Migration Agents find out what they will be.

Alan's analysis does make perfect sense, I reckon. The Minister for Immigration is determined to micromanage the question of who gets a visa for Oz and when they get it. If he decides that only 50 WA SMP sponsored Carpenters should get sc 176 visas during 2010-11, WA can try to convince him that WA should be allowed 100 Carpenters. The Minister might or might not agree, so they might compomise at 75.

DIAC might very well say, "Right. Now we want proof from 75 Carpenters that they have SMP approval from WA. If they and WA can produce the proof then we will process the person's visa application promptly, but NOT unless these pre-conditions are satisfied. All the other WA-sponsored Carpenters can continue to wait in the group down at Category 5 for the time being."

Micromanagement does not involve allowing anyone except the Minister to have a free hand about anything. The Minister has shown that he is determined to be very restrictive. He has been practising since December 2008. His early plans were easy to defeat so they were defeated. He has raised his game and raised the stakes. He is doing his best to ensure that it will be impossible for anyone to defeat his own wishes in the future.

I think it is very likely that WA will be allowed to include Carpenters in their SMP but it might only be 50, 75 or 100 Carpenters for 2010-2011. What the exact rules will be for becoming one of the Favoured Few are not yet known.

The Minister has hinted heavily that he wants to copy New Zealand. If so then he might insist that WA must choose the Favoured Minority of Carpenters for 2010-2011via a completely random ballot of all the Carpenters who currently hold SS from WA. for example.

It is too early to say how it will all work but I would be very surprised if it proves to be as easy as your DIAC contact imagines.

Cheers

Gill

Hi there

I'm not convinced that the DIAC person who responded to you has necessarily given you accurate advice.

Please read Alan Collett's first post on the first page of this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/89372-state-migration-plans-state-sponsorship.html

Alan has been talking with the bosses of the Immigration Departments in the different States. I think his and their analysis of the way this is going is likely to be much more accurate than the information that the DIAC person has told you.

DIAC in Canberra won't tell their operations staff anything. The staff who deal with the public every day will find out what the new SMP rules will be at the same time as ordinary members of the public and Registered Migration Agents find out what they will be.

Alan's analysis does make perfect sense, I reckon. The Minister for Immigration is determined to micromanage the question of who gets a visa for Oz and when they get it. If he decides that only 50 WA SMP sponsored Carpenters should get sc 176 visas during 2010-11, WA can try to convince him that WA should be allowed 100 Carpenters. The Minister might or might not agree, so they might compomise at 75.

DIAC might very well say, "Right. Now we want proof from 75 Carpenters that they have SMP approval from WA. If they and WA can produce the proof then we will process the person's visa application promptly, but NOT unless these pre-conditions are satisfied. All the other WA-sponsored Carpenters can continue to wait in the group down at Category 5 for the time being."

Micromanagement does not involve allowing anyone except the Minister to have a free hand about anything. The Minister has shown that he is determined to be very restrictive. He has been practising since December 2008. His early plans were easy to defeat so they were defeated. He has raised his game and raised the stakes. He is doing his best to ensure that it will be impossible for anyone to defeat his own wishes in the future.

I think it is very likely that WA will be allowed to include Carpenters in their SMP but it might only be 50, 75 or 100 Carpenters for 2010-2011. What the exact rules will be for becoming one of the Favoured Few are not yet known.

The Minister has hinted heavily that he wants to copy New Zealand. If so then he might insist that WA must choose the Favoured Minority of Carpenters for 2010-2011via a completely random ballot of all the Carpenters who currently hold SS from WA. for example.

It is too early to say how it will all work but I would be very surprised if it proves to be as easy as your DIAC contact imagines.

Cheers

Gill

What the DIAC said matches what certain states are telling their people. I think all of the rumour mills on forums is scaring people so much. I think we should all wait and see what happens next month. In the meantime, I have a tendency to believe what DIAC and my sponsoring state are telling me.

I agree with fashionably late...i am in the same position as Debs38 and while i'm not naive enough to think things may not change again soon, i'd rather have something positive to hold onto from the DIAC.

unless anyone knows for sure then i think it can be counter productive to add more uncertainty with rumour and speculation.

Jo

I think I am very vulnerable at the moment. I applies on the 1st of May 2008 for permanent residency under GSM and the occupation is cook. Heaven help me. It also looks like the government will be re-elected and Gilliard just announced today tougher migration laws on asylum seekers. She will be returning people back home and she is against population growth. I haven't slept since I heard about the kill bill.

I think I am very vulnerable at the moment. I applies on the 1st of May 2008 for permanent residency under GSM and the occupation is cook. Heaven help me. It also looks like the government will be re-elected and Gilliard just announced today tougher migration laws on asylum seekers. She will be returning people back home and she is against population growth. I haven't slept since I heard about the kill bill.

Hi Kokki

So far, the announcement is to cap and cease only pre September, 2007 applicants. What kind of GSM visa have you applied for ? No one knows what the future is for any applicant so don't worry we are all here with you and are there to support you anytime.

Thanks Ozzieland,

I applied for subclass 885 (onshore) and have been stuck here without permission to leave. I hope you are right and that all is well. My hubby is more optimistic than I am, I'm afraid.

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi has anyone got any advise for me, i am a registered nurse, I have my positive skills assessment and i am registered with queensland nursing board. i do not have enough points for 175 so i was going to apply for state sponsership then the 176. now with all this SMP im not sure what to do , as from as far as i can tell they will not be releasing queensland SMP til 14th july. should i hold off on my plans until this is in force. How ill it affect my 176 ? can anyone help ?

Shirley, I am willing to bet my visa that Nurses will DEFINITELY be on the list. You have nothing to worry about. What till the 14th and then submit the application for the sponsorship. They were fast tracking Nurse applications and my guess is that the same will happen again.You cant submit a 176 application until you have a positive SMP grant from the Queensland government as the two will be linked by a number.

Relax, you are nearly there!

JOHN

Guest bindog1uk

Have recieved an email back from Queensland this morning saying that they have submitted their plans to DIAC and they are waiting to hear back, at the moment they cannot say which occupations are on the list.:wink:Lesley

Morning all, I have just come off the phone from DIAC, rang twice because the first time I didn't give our TRN number, to summarise they said they don't know anything untill about half hour before everyone else knows re SMPS, Priority Processing etc, they said its not going to be straightforward with regards to SMP so looks unlikely it will be a simple transfer. I knew it wouldn't be good news!! Also said thousands of CSLs still to process and cat 5 remains unchanged, first guy said its down to the federal minister and he may even decide to continue with CSL or announce another list. I give up now!! Very depressed!

Guest KATE 70

Sound advice, but I am sure you will agree easier to give than take. I am a 176 CSL applicant with NSW, have CO and did meds last week, now waiting to go through. I have no real idea if I will be on SMP can they push me back again??? Thanks for any advice Kate x

I recommend that all affected hibernate for a couple of months and come back in September (by which time we should be a lot further forward in our understanding)!

Best wishes to all.

Hi Alan,

Do you think that the CSL will remain for a while then, or that CSL applicants will still be processed until the SMP's are announced? I ask as I have family with CSL/Family sponsored visa being assessed just now, and still need to get medicals so are they at any risk of things changing for them before they get their visa grant?

Thanks

Shaz

Archived