457 Visa Pros and Cons?

Piewie

I was in the process of applying for a standard skills visa (176) however I have now been approached about a job in Auz where the employer will apply for and sponsor me for a 457 visa. The offer is quite good and seems the way to go particularly as it cuts the queue.

Can anyone point out the failings or shortcomings of going this route? Pros and Cons appreceiated.

Some of the things that I have been able to glean from the internet:

Medicare it seems that as a resident/citizen of the UK I will pay into Medicare and will also be able to make use of this. Is this so?

My wife will have the same rights to work as I do.

Kids Schooling I have drawn a blank here but am lead to believe that I will need to pay for their schooling?

Accommodation: Apparently my employer will be able to pay for my accommodation as part of my package and as I am only on a work visa I am classed as working away from home and that this will not be taxable. This might help make up for having to pay for schooling. What does schooling in Auz cost?

My next question is at the end of the period of the 457 visa what are my options? If all is successful I would want to stay permanently what do I do then? If I have a 4 year 457 visa do I need to wait the four years before I try and make my stay more permanent? After 4 years I might be over the 45 year old mark would I be penalised for this even though I have spent the last 4 years working in Auz.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction please do.

Many Thanks

Guest Alucard

If you ask me, I would say apply for your 176 anyway. The big disadvantage of the 457 visa is that if you're not with the employer anymore, you've got 28 days to look for another job or else you'll have to depart.

Advantage is that you'll be living the good life in Australia much quicker.

Just the sort of answer I need thanks. I will ask the employer about the ENS. I already have my skills assessment and IELTS results. Do you not have to wait 2 years before going down the ENS route?

Guest Alucard
Just the sort of answer I need thanks. I will ask the employer about the ENS. I already have my skills assessment and IELTS results. Do you not have to wait 2 years before going down the ENS route?

What do you mean wait? In terms of processing times?

If I applied for a 176 then I would need state sponsorship as I am 5 points short and the critical skills shortage list was more or less abolished (the CSL would have got me an extra 10 points). I would then apply to either or both Victoria and WA for various reasons. My 457 would be for ACT. Would this not effect the state that I apply to for sponsorship. Would the status of my 176 change from off-shore to on-shore? Would this not create problems and possibly extra costs?

Archived