Northern Territory state announced SMP target date - 01 Sep 10

reza

Sponsorship for offshore applications

The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship suspended accepting offshore General Skilled Migration visa applications from 7 May 2010 until 30 June 2010. Applicants will only be able to lodge an application after 1 July 2010 if they have been assessed for an occupation on the revised national Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

The Northern Territory will put in place a State Migration Plan and will publish a Northern Territory Occupation List with that plan. This list will contain a number of occupations that are not on the national SOL. The target date for the Northern Territory's State Migration Plan is 1 September 2010.

Processing of all offshore sponsorship applications has been suspended until the Territory Migration Plan comes into effect.

All applicants for Northern Territory sponsorship will be required to demonstrate that they have positive employment prospects in the Northern Territory even if their occupation is on the shortage list. :eek::eek:

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks - hope its going tobe worth the wait!

I wonder what they mean by "demonstrate positiv employment prospects"?

Hi Jobo

I'm wondering about this as well. I wonder whether they will say that in order to be on the SMP and therefore fast tracked into Cat 2, you need to have an occupation on the NT's SMP list PLUS you need a firm job offer in the NT????

Cheers

Gill

I wonder whether they will say that in order to be on the SMP and therefore fast tracked into Cat 2, you need to have an occupation on the NT's SMP list PLUS you need a firm job offer in the NT????

Well then wouldn't that just be the same as ENS ??

Guest reddragon81

As much as I hate to say it... I WAS RIGHT!

As i said a couple of weeks ago in another topic

The only people who should wait for any news from the 1st of July onwards are the people who have already lodged their application and were expecting to be shortly processed as being in category 1-3 of the priority processing. Everyone else should forget about the 1st of July and start looking at the 11th of August (the date when the bill will be passed or blocked by the Parliament). I think that Chris Evans' plan is to keep as many things as possible unchanged, until the bill is passed or blocked, and then decide where to go from there. He certainly wouldnt want to approve SMPs that include professions that he might want to cap and cease. Say for example that the SMPs are approved on the 1st of July. Some of them will include cooks and hairdressers and we know that SMPs are category 2 (one of the fastest to be processed). That would mean that between the 1st of July and the 11th of August, some cooks and hairdressers would be granted PR. This is exactly what Chris Evans is fighting against. This is the reason why Evans wants to wait for the Cap & Cease Bill to be passed before approving any SMPs.

Everything I have written is not official , and is the way I think that things will go.

I might be proven wrong ...and I do hope so...

In only 10 days we will find out.

Well, unfortunately, I wasn't proven wrong. They have delayed the SMPs to the 1st of September... right on time to wait and see if the Bill is passed (11th of August is when the Senate Commitee reports, so few days later the Bill might be passed - likely with some amendements)

Guest Gollywobbler
Well then wouldn't that just be the same as ENS ??

Hi Matjones

No! A lot of the employers in Oz are small employers. They would not necessarily be able to comply with an employer's eligibility criteria for the ENS visa. Making a job offer is a very much easier proposition and any employer can do it.

The whole of the NT is considered to be "regional Oz" and the NT Government is incredibly supportive of businesses in the NT. However if you phone the Immi officials in the NT, they think it is a miracle if a migrant goes to the NT and stays there. With an RSMS visa, the employer has to promise to employ the migrant for at least 24 months. That would mean the migrant agreeing to stay with the employer for at least 2 years, which would be in the NT,

A lot of small employers in Oz are nervous about agreeing to sponsor someone for an RSMS visa because they cannot necessarily guarantee that the job will be available for a minimum of 2 years.

Job offers get round all these problems whilst:

(a) ensuring that the applicant has actually made a serious effort at finding some work in his nominated occupation in the NT; and

(b) he isn't simply trying to get a free ride on the NT's back, purely in order to get a GSM visa promptly.

So they might insist on a job offer, I suspect. I don't know this for sure, though. I merely suspect it.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Maybe instead of a job offer they might ask for a letter like ACT sponsorship . And in the letter one has to mention about the prospective job openings available etc...

Hi Sherin

Yep. They might well do as you suggest.

I've spoken to the officials in the NT Immigration Dept twice. Both times, they seemed to me to be pathetically grateful that any would-be migrant might actually consider going to the NT at all.

So it could well be that they would want proof of effort rather than something a bit firmer.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
As much as I hate to say it... I WAS RIGHT!

As i said a couple of weeks ago in another topic

Well, unfortunately, I wasn't proven wrong. They have delayed the SMPs to the 1st of September... right on time to wait and see if the Bill is passed (11th of August is when the Senate Commitee reports, so few days later the Bill might be passed - likely with some amendements)

Hi reddragon

I'm not persuaded. NSW are saying that they have no idea when their SMP might be published. WA and the ACT are both saying 15th July. They might both simply be guessing and the NT might be guessing at 1st September as well.

Also, as George Lombard told me in an e-mail earlier, each State is apparently required to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Federal Government. That idea only works if both Governments (State and Federal) are open for business. Which leads me on to....

As for the Visa Capping Bill 2010, if the pundits are right then there might be a General Election during August 2010. If that happens, Parliament will be prorogued prior to 11th August and it will not re-open again until after the Election.

Nobody could have foreseen that Kevin Rudd would suddenly be kicked out of office so close to 1st July 2010. That event could turn everything else upside down, I suspect.

Cheers

Gill

ACT has pushed theirs back to August 1st. Had communication with them this morning!

Wonder what is going on !!! If new applicants are not allowed to change from one visa to another what is the big deal of opening the suspended visas. This should only happen once the SMPs are released. Everything seems to be so haphazard and disorganized.

Guest Gollywobbler
Wonder what is going on !!! If new applicants are not allowed to change from one visa to another what is the big deal of opening the suspended visas. This should only happen once the SMPs are released. Everything seems to be so haphazard and disorganized.

Hi Ozzieland

I agree. The PiO member who spoke with WA a few hours ago reports WA as saying that they do not intend to re-open their State sponsorship facility until they publish their new SMP.

If all the SMPs are going to be published on different dates, I reckon that there will be some serious confusion before all this settles down.

Cheers

Gill

Guest jains005
Hi Jobo

I'm wondering about this as well. I wonder whether they will say that in order to be on the SMP and therefore fast tracked into Cat 2, you need to have an occupation on the NT's SMP list PLUS you need a firm job offer in the NT????

Cheers

Gill

i think what they told is applicable only for new applicants. In fact when i applied for NT sponsorship i was asked by agent to find out a few job opportunities of my occupation so that my application would be stronger. I think here they mean the same and it's not a new thing. And especially when they sponsor an applicant who is not new sol, it makes sense they ask for it.

I was expecting smp on 1st July and stil i feel good to read how they might prepare the smp list, and my occupation is in new sol. For anyone who applied for an oz visa, waiting will not anymore be a problem, but part of their life :)

i'm not sure if i think is right. I wish if it were ;)

thanks

jains

NT's SMP is not that important. They hardly sponsor anyone compared with WA, SA, Vic and QLD. It doesn't make much difference whether they ask for job offer or not. So no need to worry, just chill and wait for the big players to come out with their SMP.

without sounding rude Farrukh thats the exact attitude the NT expect from migrants and why as Gill says they are so pathetically happy if migrants consider going there, i dont believe we should be ruling them out against the "big players" as NSW/VIC/QLD are likely to have tighter rules as has already been proven in the past where as smaller states need migrants far more.

Confusing times ahead i reckon and alot of waiting:arghh:

cheers kelly

I think its a misapprehension that NT are beggingly desperate for migrants. If that was the case they wouldn't have a $35k proof of funds requirement for a solo migrant and $50k requirement for migrant+spouse. They'd be offering money and incentives instead.

Guest jilkfree1978

I emailed queensland this morning about there smp and they replied straight away!!

Our State Migration Plan will be released on the 1/7/10 or shortly after that date. You need to check that to see if your occupation appears on it. Otherwise you will have to wait until 2012. An alternative to waiting until 2012 is to see if your employer is willing to sponsor under the RSMS - Regional Skilled Migration Scheme. This will grant you permanent residency straight away but you will be contracted to that employer for a further two years. If you leave that employer within that time frame however, your visa will be cancelled.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Guest Violet S

Hi all,

just wonder what will happen to states that didn't announce their SMP even after July? Does it mean no SS?

I was thinking hard since DIAC suspended the 475, 176. I thought it's a good news for us who are waiting for our 475 and 176 - people in the q. Unfortunately, nothing happen. We are still in the dark, no news, no CO, no visa grant.

Apart from there, what will happen to us if our skill is not listed under the SMP but in the SOL? Are they gonna process our apps?

Also, the new PM said that she preferred skill migrants, is this a good news or bad news?

Sorry, have more questions... :wink:

Thanks and regards,

Violet

Guest rachbarlow

Oh this is just totally pathetic. I can see other states will follow suit now. Talk about being well and truly peed about. This whole process is seriously peeing me off. I have had enough of being bounced about and left in suspended animation. It is about time that when a date is announced that date is stuck to. I am off to look at NZ instead, and e-mail WA!

Oh this is just totally pathetic. I can see other states will follow suit now. Talk about being well and truly peed about. This whole process is seriously peeing me off. I have had enough of being bounced about and left in suspended animation. It is about time that when a date is announced that date is stuck to. I am off to look at NZ instead, and e-mail WA!

Yeah I'm thinking of being a Visa whore and going off for a year on a working holiday visa in NZ while Aus sorts itself out! I don't know if I'm coming or going!

Guest rachbarlow

I have e-mailed WA I wait with baited breath for a responce. Don't these people understand they are messing around with people's lives, families with children who don't know if they are staying at school or moving. ARRRRRRRRRRRRR it just annoys me so much!!!!

Archived