heading back to the UK

Guest amfaeglesga

Guest amfaeglesga

Can anyone advise me shipping my car and household belongings back to scotland?

how long it takes?? Does the same company ship both household and car?

more importantly...the cost??

Hi we are having a couple of shipping companies out and quote us for just that on Thurs and Friday-Chess and OSS can let you know what they say- we are hoping to sell our cars here as it's an inconvnience not having one at the other end and waiting 6 weeks but we are going to get quotes to ship one if we have to.

Guest chris955

To be quite honest with the costs involved and the cost of cars in the UK compared to here I would go for a 20 foot container and sell the car, unless it is a classic or something rare.

To be quite honest with the costs involved and the cost of cars in the UK compared to here I would go for a 20 foot container and sell the car, unless it is a classic or something rare.

Absolutely Chris and that's what we are trying to do-the problem is my car is a ford galaxy which is a people carrier and not a model they do in Oz so selling it may prove difficult (although we had an Ozzie knock on the front door and has no problem with UK imports so may have a buyer)- my husbands car is a VW so that should ok.

The cast was $5100 for hosehold belongings and a car shipped to London from Sydney back in march 2007. It took about 2months with INTERNATIONAL MOVING SERVICES SYDNEY AUSTRALIA-OVERSEAS MOVING SERVICES SYDNEY AUSTRALIA-FURNITURE REMOVALS & RELOCATION SERVICE SYDNEY AUSTRALIA T-SELF STORAGE SYDNEY AUSTRALIA

I hope this give some kind of idea.

Guess what I am back in Australia with the same car..lol

Guest chris955

Ping ponging is very common, my personal opinion is that if you are here and deep down you know it isn't for you then go back to where you know is home BUT try your hardest not to compare things because that is when the doubts start to come back. Then you move again only to be confronted by the same things that made you leave in the first place. The things that annoyed you, disappointed you etc wont suddenly have disappeared in your absence.

Ping ponging is very common, my personal opinion is that if you are here and deep down you know it isn't for you then go back to where you know is home BUT try your hardest not to compare things because that is when the doubts start to come back. Then you move again only to be confronted by the same things that made you leave in the first place. The things that annoyed you, disappointed you etc wont suddenly have disappeared in your absence.

There are things that we will miss herethe family being the main one and the climate (although that is only some of the time-wont miss the unbearable heat and love the snow).

I know that I will moan about the UK when I get back (it's what us Brits do) however I cannot think of one thing that I prefer about Australia.

I do think people who ping pong are very brave as the cost is huge-good luck to all

There are things that we will miss herethe family being the main one and the climate (although that is only some of the time-wont miss the unbearable heat and love the snow).

I know that I will moan about the UK when I get back (it's what us Brits do) however I cannot think of one thing that I prefer about Australia.

I do think people who ping pong are very brave as the cost is huge-good luck to all

Its so true as there are always things about a place you will miss and some of it is the curse of the expat , I didnt leave Australia because I didnt like living there , it was mainly because of having no family there and I beleived or hoped we could have the same lifestyle in the Uk as well as family but the reality for us is we cant - its very hard but of course we have been away 20yrs and so Australia is home now and much as its great having family around it is unfortunately not enough to stay. Moving back is brave and expensive but personally I feel its the right thing to do and at least we tried, so will go back to Australia having answered that question , even with all the hassle and cost I am glad we came back and I am truly hoping six months from now we will all be settled again !

Its so true as there are always things about a place you will miss and some of it is the curse of the expat , I didnt leave Australia because I didnt like living there , it was mainly because of having no family there and I beleived or hoped we could have the same lifestyle in the Uk as well as family but the reality for us is we cant - its very hard but of course we have been away 20yrs and so Australia is home now and much as its great having family around it is unfortunately not enough to stay. Moving back is brave and expensive but personally I feel its the right thing to do and at least we tried, so will go back to Australia having answered that question , even with all the hassle and cost I am glad we came back and I am truly hoping six months from now we will all be settled again !

As we've said before-like us but the otherway around-good luck:hug:

Guest guest22466

Thank you for this post and an honest one too. The longer that you live in a place for some helps you define where you feel home is. I hope I feel the same in 20 years time as you do as it will help me to feel more settled. Sometimes I think we have to go back and forth for us to decide which place we want to call home and stay and which place is the visiting place for holidays. Well done for going back and coming back.

Guest guest22466

Its a huge choice really to decide where you want to live in life and there are good and bad about both places its just working out what is important for you in your life...for some its the lifestyle for some its family and friends, some the weather, sometimes we never know and maybe we also feel different at different stages in our lives...its not an easy one at times ....they say go with what the heart feels best with ...i dont know anymore....maybe never say never .....

We feel like that too. In fact we have talked about going to the UK for a few months just to see how we feel before we statt with the shipping costs etc...

Archived