Mark Webber, Lucky To Be Alive.

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

My admiration to Mark Webber, during todays grand prix he had a massive crash, not sure who's fault it was, but thankfully both drivers were unhurt.

YouTube - F1 (movie 05) - Mark Webber CRASH & FLIGHT- GP EUROPA 2010.

There was even reports that he sat down in the pit lane and said, 'Throw another prawn on the barbie mate'.:biglaugh: Amazing that after a crash like this he managed to walk away from the car and still give an interview and remain upright.:notworthy:

Cheers Tony:cool:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Tony

i have just seen it on sky sports, its amazing that he actually survived, what a take off, its been a bad day for Aussie sport with them losing at cricket also against the poms, i make it 3-0 now.

oh by the way what was the England score against Germany........................

Guest SDJ&A

When it happened I really thought I was watching the end of his life. The impact with Kovalainen wasn't huge (there have been bigger)but enough to lift Weber into the air. To then land upside down, flip the right way up and then slide into the tyre barrier still at very high speed, to go from 150mph (ish) to nothing when hitting those tyres really shows the strength not only of a modern F1 car but the enormous strides taken in driver safety. While I can remember watching F1 in the 80's when the drivers sat higher and you could see their heads, shoulders and arms in the car and now you see very little, I'm now not that bothered about a restricted view of the driver. The **** device (head and neck support system) that all drivers wear these days has surely saved Webers life. I was truely amazed when he climbed out of his car only a few seconds later. I have not heard him speak yet,but it's reported that he is ok. I can think of a few racing drivers over the last few years that had big crashes and were not so lucky( Senna, Ratzenberger at Imola, Hakkinen at Adelaide, Martin Donnelly at Jerez, Berger also at Imola, Greg Moore in Indycars and more..) different types of crashes yes, and all called more attention to safety. Motor sport is dangerous, but I (and I am sure many others) are mighty relieved at the outcome. Got to say though that I think it was more Webers fault than Kovalainens, both racing for postion, it's up to the driver behind not to run into the back of the driver in front. Kovalainen was slower, with less grip so was bound to brake earlier than Weber. I think Weber was just mesmerized by getting in the slipstream of the Lotus he forgot he was racing a slower car and of course if he had made a proper start from 2nd on the grid and not been 9th after lap 1, he wouldn't have found himself racing with the back of the pack. Still, an interesting race, tyres,pitstops,time penalties,safety cars etc plus Alonso ( my favorite driver ) spitting his dummy out and whinging like a baby stopped me from falling asleep.

Guest SDJ&A

Just posted above and have seen asterixs blanking out a word.I take it that this is an auto function. I want to say that I have not tried to use a swear word in this post. It was an abbreviation of " Head And Neck Support system. H. A. N. S.

Archived