You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest girlwizz99

Difference between Perm and Citizenship?

Guest girlwizz99

:confused:

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me the main differences in terms of rights to come and go to Australia. I was under the impression that if I get through my 2 years of temporary and become permanent I can come and go as I please?

Is this correct? If so, why would one apply for citizenship?

Many thanks:notworthy:

Because PR means that you have to obtain a new return resident visa every five years if you wish to travel outside of Australia,if you are convicted of a serious crime whilst on PR you can be deported and

new PR holders have no rights to vote in federal elections or stand for election to federal parliament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_permanent_resident

You may as well give cherries to a pig as advice to a fool.

There's a test to become a citizen too which you pay for but would then allow you to have UK and Aus passports.

Used to be 2 year as a resident to apply for citizenship but is 4 now.

Counting the days (unforunately still years!)

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

Citizenship is also required for many government jobs and is in general an advantage when seeking work.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.”

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Guest girlwizz99

If you remain a PR and travel outside of Australia too much is there a danger you might be rejected your new return resident visa?

Not as long as you apply before it expires (I believe)

Days out of country will affect an application for citizenship. DIAC website wll give days in / out details.

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

If you remain a PR and travel outside of Australia too much is there a danger you might be rejected your new return resident visa?

You have to be physically present in Australia for at least 2 out of every 5 years to be granted a RRV unless you can provide compelling and compassionate reasons why you haven't been able to meet those requirements.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/95documents.htm#b

You may as well give cherries to a pig as advice to a fool.

I stand corrected... :embarrassed:

Guest mandy1970

My husband has a PR spouse visa which expires 2013.

We are moving over in Oct 2010 and he will stay in the same job.

He works for an oil company and works 28 home 28 away.

How would this affect him?

The problem is.......people assume they are safe here on a PR visa. They may get married to an Aussie, they may have Aussie children......and then, for some reason they get them self into trouble with the police. They are considered undesirable and their visa is cancelled. It doesn't matter that they have a husband and children here, after their prison term they will be deported and not allowed back in. What happens if their Aussie husband also happens to have a criminal record and can't get permission to go and live in the UK.....

Most of the time it's fine.....but....

Love

Rudi

x