Temporary Accommodation (Work Sponsored)

Guest Johnthepom

Guest Johnthepom

Hi everyone,

I've been offered a job in Melbourne on a sponsored visa and I am trying to negoiate around the logistics which I must admit are daunting.

The company have included in the contract for 4 weeks temporary accommodation for me and my family in a serviced apartment.

My question is, what could we realistically organise by way of permanent accommodation within that 4 weeks? Obviously purchasing would be out of the question but is it likely that we will be able to assess areas, schools and locate and rent a house within that time frame, bearing in mind I will be working during the days?

Does anyone out their have experience of this kind of arrangement and if so what would be a reasonable compromise for a period of temporary accommodation that would give us a chance to sort out a permanent residence.

I have similar queries on the sponsored visa and relocation fees that they are offering so if you have any knowledge on either of these please search for these under "johnthepom"

Thanks guys

John

• 2 months later...
Guest gezz peter

Hi John, I am in the same boat, moving from england to bunbury to work for Komatsu, they are putting us up in a house flat ( I dont know). I am try to find out info myself and will let you know as soon as possible.

Guest GoodersGang

Hi

I am also on a sponsored 457 and had the same concerns over the relocation issue on my contract. The wifes cousin was over from Sydney and looked it over he said it was standard practice and not to worry has no company would be looking to move me all over australia and pay relocation costs everytime. It put my mind at ease

Good luck !!!

Steve G

Hi everyone,

I've been offered a job in Melbourne on a sponsored visa and I am trying to negoiate around the logistics which I must admit are daunting.

The company have included in the contract for 4 weeks temporary accommodation for me and my family in a serviced apartment.

My question is, what could we realistically organise by way of permanent accommodation within that 4 weeks? Obviously purchasing would be out of the question but is it likely that we will be able to assess areas, schools and locate and rent a house within that time frame, bearing in mind I will be working during the days?

Does anyone out their have experience of this kind of arrangement and if so what would be a reasonable compromise for a period of temporary accommodation that would give us a chance to sort out a permanent residence.

I have similar queries on the sponsored visa and relocation fees that they are offering so if you have any knowledge on either of these please search for these under "johnthepom"

Thanks guys

John

Hi

I am in a similiar position the company will organise serviced acccommodation but i have to pay quite expensive :shocked: I am going to Brisbane cant speak for melbourne but real estate agents i have emailed or spoke to wont allow you to let over the internet have to go in person advised by them to start searching web site 4 weeks before. i have looked at the local paper for brisbane (very useful) on the internet Brisbane exchange sure will have the link for melbourne could put your own advert in or at least gives you an idea of what is available.

have you a house to sell/rent could also look at house swapping for a year .

Hope this is of some help

regards

Sue:jiggy:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gezz Peter

Small world, we are also relocating to Bunbury! We should be there around 6 Oct. Company putting us up in temp accommodation for 4 weeks, should hear tomorrow where we will actually be staying.

I'll have 2 weeks off before starting work so hopefully have time to find a rental property, OH has been emailing a few real estate agents regarding this.

Just make sure you have some form of reference for your estate agent / landlord. This is going to be difficult for us as we have never rented before as we owned our home, but we did manage to get a credit reference off our building society.

Hope all works out for you and us!!

Ade

• 1 month later...

It Depends on what part of melbourne you plan to live ?

Housing costs

Rental cost has increased in the last five years.

E.g.

Three star hotels cost about 99 Dollars per night

Was 56 per night 5 years ago?

To rent a two bedroom flat close to central Melbourne

Is about 260 – 320 dollars per week most of the leases are for 12 months.

I found it difficult to find 6 month leases.

Be care full you may see some for less than 200 dollars but

These are restricted to students

It you are happy live more than 30 min from Melbourne

The prices drop you can rent a house for the same price

I have been trying to look to rent an apparment in south

Yarra for the last few weeks

Unfortunalty so do 10 or so other peaple.

Guest Andy Thomas

Hi John

We provide accommodation especially for migrants heading for the Mornington Peninsula. Most people book with us for 4 weeks initially. Some of our guests have had to extend and stay a little longer whilst trying to secure an unfurnished rental on a 6 or 12 month lease. Others have managed to secure one in time to move out after 4 weeks. I wouldn't advise accepting less than 4 weeks as this will really put you under pressure to find somewhere.

To help migrants secure a rental after they have stayed with us we have now developed a relationship with local agents whereby we can forward details/requirements to the agent and they can then pencil in the migrants for any up and coming rentals at any particular time.

Good luck, Andy

Archived