What is it with Australians and saving energy?

Guest iselinger

Guest iselinger

I was listening to a radio show yesterday about saving money on your heating bills. Now this was an ABC National program not one of your commercial stations. In the whole 20 minutes they did not mention insulation once. Endless chat about choosing the cheapest supplier and technical stuff like Reverse Cycle AC being more efficient than Fan heaters.

BUT not ONE word about insulating your bloody home. I know they have had some problems with roof insulation but for ***** sake - Just insulate your home!

In the UK (& Europe) we have been doing this for the last 30 years. You cant install single glazed windows its illegal. Only a jerk wouldn't have a halfway decent quantity of insulation in their roof! Its inbuilt into the national psyche.

And what's more in Australia it pays you back twice. Not only does it keep the cold out in winter but the cool in during summer.

Maybe they should quadruple the cost of energy that might make them think.

Rant over!

Guest TomMK

Completely agree. I'm in a new build apartment and it's got single glazing. SINGLE glazing! The rooms are bloody cold at night because the windows are so poor at insulating.

On a wider scale, I think there's a real opportunity for someone to do a "Martin Lewis" over here. MoneySavingExpert is a fantastic resource for all things like this. The closest thing I've seen here is the "barefoot investor" who's advice goes about as far as "Pay off your debt. Then start saving". Great thanks.

Guest Sereena

Yep, I'm with you all the way....we're also in a relatively new built unit & it's bloody freezing!! Single glazed windows, no insulation & reverse cycle air con that's about as effective as a chocolate tea pot! The minute we turn the air con off it's back to being seriously cold in here...infact our thermometer in the house reads about 11 or 12 degs most mornings. I seriously could not survive if we didn't have a leccy blanket that's for sure!! I never thought I'd be colder in Oz that I was in England!! When you tell people that they think you're mad...oh, you must be used to it they say....yes....BUT we heat our homes to about 22degs in winter & we have central heating & insulation!!!! My rant over too now! :)

Guest Khadine

Double glazing is now being advertising on the TV i noticed (northshore). We recently built and we had insulation as a standard option so they are getting there i think, wish we had known about the double glazing though as we opted for reverse cycle air con instead. We are looking at building again in the not too distant future and we are going roof and wall insulation, reverse cycle air con, PVC glazing and solar. So that should do it!!

Yes agree absolutely, I had big ideas about the domestic solar industry before I came out here and now reluctantly admit that despite political window dressing AU is heavily committed to coal, gas and oil and is also incredibly wasteful of energy in many areas.

Some insulation and double glazing would make the world of difference in winter and summer, and as part of a new build would be highly cost effective.

But until there are some serious government incentives it ain't going to happen. A golden opportunity wasted I feel.

Just moved into our house earlier this month and had cabling put in for an alarm system. The guy that did it told us that our insulation had been removed from the loft.

Now I know all you have to do is lift off the roof tiles and you're in but I really don't think that someone pinched it. Guess there's (another) trip to Bunnings to see what they have in that aisle.

Guest iselinger
Just moved into our house earlier this month and had cabling put in for an alarm system. The guy that did it told us that our insulation had been removed from the loft.

Now I know all you have to do is lift off the roof tiles and you're in but I really don't think that someone pinched it. Guess there's (another) trip to Bunnings to see what they have in that aisle.

Just be careful when you are up in the loft. Australian electrical installations generally leave a lot to be desired. I didnt have a lot of time for NICEIC in the UK but they did bring up the standard of installation work. Wear a boiler suit (to protect you from fibreglass) and proper shoes and thin rubber gloves to protect you from shoddy electrics!

Make sure you remove insulation from around downlights unless they are low energy bulbs.

Guest famousfive

I agree about the insulation and the double glazing.We are in a 4yr old townhouse and I swear it would be warmer to live in a paper bag.Draughty doors too.And why on earth don't they have a nice fireplace or stove in houses when the weather drops to 5c or less on winter nights.

To top it all off Aussies go overseas and tell us all how cold it was!!What?I,ve been colder here at night than i ever was living on an island in the bloomin atlantic for petes sake.

pretty bloody cold at the moment. its 6 degrees at the mo:goofy: in melbourne

3.5 degrees at the moment:shocked:

Archived