You know there's a problem with childhood obesity when.....

Guest guest36762

I wish my mum chose to buy the more expensive but healthy foods....have been saying it for a while....but nope, she would rather the cheaper and less healthier stuff! I think I'm gonna start buying some of my own food, I'll be able to afford to now.

Guest guest17520

Hi Jenny,

My post reads like I am one of the parents who does just feed my kid on junk food because it's the easy option. This is not the case, the majority of the food my daughter eats is healthy.

My point is that whenever you go to a supermarket there are heaps of bad food all at eye level for kids. They also have Dora the Explora, Thomas the Tank Engine, the Wiggles and any other popular kids characters plastered all over them. What kid wouldn't want to eat those???

All I'm saying is that it is hard and all parents give their kids treats, I just wish it wasn't so easy for the kids to get tempted.

Richkoto, your thread does NOT read like you feed your kids junk all the time! I totally and ABSOLUTELY get your point and agree with you. Boy food is an ongoing battle! Commercials, eye level displays, other kids lunch boxes, it all ends in tears and "but it's not fair!' And it does not matter if they get the odd treat, THEY JUST WANT MORE!!!! AHHHHH!!!

Someone was saying that healthy food it cheap, I am saying that when it comes to kids, I don't think it is cheap cause they are fussy little blighters, and an apple and a sanwhich ain't gunna cut it in the school lunch anymore.

Rich, I am totally on your side with this one!:jiggy::cute:

Guest Waylyn

But it's not just the food is it?

I'm now classed as overweight but for many, many years I was underweight. I would eat crisps, noodles and burgers but because I was doing do much I was burning it off. Now I lead a more sedentary lifestyle I've put on weight. I must admit that I personally feel much better for it as believe it or not I can do more than when I was underweight.

From what I understand of children today, they don't get much exercise. Particularly in the UK where many parents won't even let the kids walk to school in case they get abducted! We used to go out for hours on end and walk miles but now you mainly see kids in cars.

As well as the lack of exercise, I also believe that there is just too much rubbish in food. i'm not talking just about Maccas but look at what they do with chickens and other animals - feeding them growth hormones:err: That has to be working our way into our bodies doesn't it? But unless you keep your own, how do you really know? You can't even truly believe what's on the packaging.

As for quick food, Spag is great as the sauce is basically just a tin of toms with seasoning and veg of choice. Plus it's excellent after being in the freezer for little while as it all marinates together and give more flavour! There are many dishes that are quick to prepare and can be frozen, then all you need to do is a quick re-heat:smile:

Hmmm, talking of which it's time for dinner!

An interesting read!

"If weight gain continues the path it is following, by the year 2020, 80% of all Australian adults and a third of all children will be overweight or obese."

Statistics show Australia has terrible obese problems, I remember watching a program in about 2008 about the concerns and how its fast becoming the 2nd most obese country in the world by percentage of population.

Australia may have less processed foods in their freezer depts than the UK and tastier fresh fruit, but still their obesity problems are rising fast. Have a peek at this article, then have a good look at those children walking down the street in their nice school uniforms and look at what percentage are overweight, I remember being shocked by how many were big when I was there. Its abuse to allow children to be so overweight, as much as it is to see children having rotten teeth pulled because of lack of education regarding wrong foods and brushing.

Child Obesity In Australia - Alarming Statistics

Yes, obesity is in the UK too, I'm not denying that. I have put the above link to show people how it is in the country pomsinoz is primarily about.

Get them exercising young as well as educate them in foods!

Archived