You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Peach

High end Hi-Fi

Nearly a decade ago, when the world though it might end with the y2k bug and I was IT contracting I invested in a reasonably expensive hi-fi system (Meridian amplifiers and ProAc studio speakers). All these years on, as beautiful as it still sounds I don't listen to it all that often and am wondering how well it will all travel in a container to Australia?

A quick look on eBay tells me that even second hand it's worth a couple of grand. Am now wondering whether I should cash in my chips and trade down? Has anyone bought one of these Brennan all-in-one players? (Revolutionary HiFi - Brennan).

I too love my expensive Hi Fi equipment,and brought quite a few units over,Amps ,Speakers,Tuners,CD players,All quality stuff,and it is perfect,no probs.Good make Hi Fi here is big business still,and expensive.I would bring it.Don't forget to bring UK extension 4/6 gang sockets for your stuff,can't get them here.:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

I would buy over there, its still execellent value. I brought all my Linn audio equipment and am delighted I did when I saw the cost here.

Hi Peach, Yes pack and bring it. Even if you decide to sell, good gear commands a premium in Oz so I would doubt if you would lose out. I sold a lot of my stuff before coming out here and I really regret it now. Some of the MP3/FLAC streaming devices are getting quite good, but it will be a mile off your gear.

Good luck!

...All these years on, as beautiful as it still sounds I don't listen to it all that often and am wondering how well it will all travel in a container to Australia?

Hi Peach. Most of the component parts probably came in a container to the UK so I suspect will travel OK if packaged properly. Whether it is better to trade-in and get a new system, I really don't know. Technology improves, you get the same performance for less now than you may have a while back. But if you have a system you like, stick with it?

Cheers.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

I spent many years doing sound for a living, so you're on a subject near and dear to my heart.

First off, I brought all my audio gear with me, including some much loved old studio monitor speakers. Everything made the trip without a problem and the speakers still sound good to my ears.

Second, make sure you read the fine print on that Brennan system The default system is 192kbps MP3 compressed files and all the stats about how much you can store are based on that. MP3 is NOT as nice to listen too as the original CD/.wav files. I did an analysis of this once:

Here's the frequency analysis of an original CD track:

Wave.jpg

...and here's the same thing at 192kbps MP3:

MP3192.jpg

Finally, they mention so-called "lossless" compression. Here's Ogg Vorbis "lossless" at 192kbps:

ogg192.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't mess with the high frequency response the way MP3 does, but the processing involved still removes some of the resolution you have in the original.

It's up to you how fussy you want to be and if you're not listening as often or as critically as you once did, maybe the Brennan would be okay. However, if you're used to high quality audio and have developed your listening skills to hear the difference, you might not be happy with the new system.

If it was me, I'd bring what you have!

Bob

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Bobbsy, i know its a bit of an old thread, but its something close to my heart.

what do you think of FLAC?

i notice the supressed then flatline'd SA trace above 18K with the oggie's, is flac the same?

im in the process of re-ripping my CD collection to my media centre in flac for convinience, as my new speakers have shown me just how cr@p MP3 is!

should i go for a straight WAV rip? tbh i cant hear the difference, but id rather buy more storage, than miss the music.

thanks in advance :)

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

FLAC is actually okay and truly lossless--a bit akin to .zip files for data. If you have gear that can play it, then you shouldn't lose any quality going that route. The only downside might be if you ever want to convert back to wave to burn a standard CD.

However, with the cheap cost of storage these days (I saw a terabyte hard drive for $70 the other day) I just stick with wave files which means I can also burn to CDs that play anywhere without worrying about conversions (which can have an audible effect on the sound quality).

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker