You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

emmaj

A Tax Question - If You Havent Workef For The Full 12 Months?

Hi,

This will be the first time we have had to do an AU tax return and I was wondering if we can claim anything back for the period i wasnt in work?

Hubs has been employed full time since we stepped off the plane, i however have only worked from Nov 2009.

We dont have any dependants and we are on a 457 if this makes a difference.

Can we claim anything back for the period i wasnt in work?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i obviously know nothing about tax :laugh:

Thanks

Emma

457 Visa Granted 4th June....Flying to Perth 6th July!!

JUST Starting To Settle & Enjoy Life In Perth!

PR Granted 22nd December 2011

Citizenship Granted 28th August 2013!

im bumping this to the top as i too would like to know the answer. We are now on a PR visa after being on a 457, but im being told to go and get an accountant to do my returns????

Im pretty blank at the moment as to what to do

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar

Hi when i enquired (albeit it was 2 yrs ago)for the same reasons as yourself,, i was told you didnt need to do a Tax Return at all if you had earned under $5000.

I would personally ring an accountant tomorrow and double check incase the rules have changed.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

thanks. ive just had a look at the tax website. It pretty much looks like its all dealt with if your employed, paying tax and arent paying out of pocket expenses or recieving monies from outside sources. you dont need to do a tax return........

Im in the process in requesting help for childcare, but if ive read this right. I can ask for an annual payment after exact earnings are known.........

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar