1st of July 2010: Is anything supposed to happen?

Guest reddragon81

Guest reddragon81

I must be going thru lots of stress because of all the news about DIAC... I have found myself writing that I can't wait till the 1st of July. And I have bumped in many other users that have written the same... The fact is that I can't remember the reason why I have written that..

What is supposed to happen on the 1st of July?

Is an new rule going to be introduced?

Is the priority processing going to be changed?

Is anything going to happen at all?

Why is everyone waiting for the 1st of July?

Sorry, I am confused and dazzled

I must be going thru lots of stress because of all the news about DIAC... I have found myself writing that I can't wait till the 1st of July. And I have bumped in many other users that have written the same... The fact is that I can't remember the reason why I have written that..

What is supposed to happen on the 1st of July?

Is an new rule going to be introduced?

Is the priority processing going to be changed?

Is anything going to happen at all?

Why is everyone waiting for the 1st of July?

Sorry, I am confused and dazzled

For the existing applicants, there may not be very drastic changes but for the new applicants, yes, the new SOL applies.

The SMPs are 'supposed' to be released and if they are, we would like to know how we are affected (hopefully in a good way) by them. This will also tell us our priority standing with the introduction of the SMPs.

For the pre September 2007 applicants, they would like to know where they stand with the Cap and Cease and this is 'expected' on 1st July, 2010.

So everyone put on their seatbelts and wait for 1st July, 2010 :biggrin:

Guest izephyr

oh, that's my question, too. I suppose that most of the people applied for or planning to migrate to au are looking at the 1st of July.

Hope for the best.,,,,,,

Guest reddragon81
For the existing applicants, there may not be very drastic changes but for the new applicants, yes, the new SOL applies.

The SMPs are 'supposed' to be released and if they are, we would like to know how we are affected (hopefully in a good way) by them. This will also tell us our priority standing with the introduction of the SMPs.

For the pre September 2007 applicants, they would like to know where they stand with the Cap and Cease and this is 'expected' on 1st July, 2010.

So everyone put on their seatbelts and wait for 1st July, 2010 :biggrin:

So I am actually waiting for the 1st of July for no reason...

I am an existing applicant 176... As you said, there won't be any changes for me as the new SOL does not involve my situation at all.

Also George Lombard and Gill have said many times that the states will never be ready by the 1st of July with their SMP and we will likely have to wait several months before seeing even a draft from them.

Also Gill (or someone else, I can't remember) wrote that the Minister will most likely wait for the bill to be passed before axing the pre Sept 2007 applicants, in order to avoid possible lawsuits (if the bill is passed then there is nothing that anyone can do if Evans decide to axe)...

Therefore , there is nothing to wait for... Nothing will happen on the 1st of July... And our lives will still be on hold... I'm tired... so freaking tired

Therefore , there is nothing to wait for... Nothing will happen on the 1st of July... And our lives will still be on hold... I'm tired... so freaking tired

WRONG! They will start issues visas again to the existing applicants since it will be a new "year" for DIAC!

Lately very few visas have been issued since it was the end of year...hopefully it will start again in July

:frown:

Guest Ann C

The 1st of july for us is that we are hoping to get our CSL 176 visa we have everything done have CO everything met on the 2nd of june so hoping the 1st of july brings good news to us (and our visa) so here is hoping :smile:

Good luck to everyone waiting..

Guest Gollywobbler
Another week in June has passed and still no announcement has been made. Is it possibe that DIAC won't release a new priority processing announcement before July 1?

Hi Eric

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Your query above was going to be lost and ignored where it was because the Visa Capping Bill thread is above a separate issue from the question that you have asked.

This current thread is quite lively to I have moved your question into this thread instead.

Cheers

Gill

Hello RedDragon81.

Just a guess but maybe you was looking forward to 1st july for the new priority processing?

Maybe your occupation may appear on a smp list and be moved up for faster processing times?

Good luck all the same.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

1st July is the start of the new Financial Year in Australia each year. Because it marks the start of the Government's Financial Year, it is also the first day of DIAC's 2010-2011 Migration Program Year.

It is nice and tidy for any changes to come into effect on 1st July if possible but if anything has to be delayed then the following 1st January is another good date, at the start of the second half of the Financial Year.

DIAC have said that they are reviewing the Points Test for GSM visa applications (GSM = General Skilled Migration, aka skilled independent migration, for which employer-sponsorship is not necessary and the elgibility of a prospective applicant is measured via a Points system instead.) According to DIAC, the new Points Test is likely to be revealed and to become effective on 1st January 2011. As yet, they have not completed their review.

So what else might happen on 1st July 2010? According to DIAC:-

1. The current suspension on new applications for offshore GSM visas will be lifted and DIAC will be able to receive applications for these visas again;

2. The new State Migration Plans are due to be published and are due to take effect from 1st July 2010.

3. The new SOL will be implemented on 1st July 2010 though the occupations on it will each be worth the same number of Points as before, maybe forever but certainly until the promised new Points test is released. The new List of Occupations is below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/new-list-of-occupations.pdf

4. Vetassess say that DIAC told them that new transitional arrangements for skills assessments are due to take effect from 1st July 2010. DIAC are supposed to have said that they would make an announcement on their website that would clarify Vetassess' beliefs. DIAC's announcement was due to have been published during the week of 14th to 18th June 2010 but so far, the DIAC website remains silent.

5. The new quotas of visas that are to be permitted in each subclass will become effective and visas will start to be granted again from 1st July onwards.

I don't think (from memory) that I have missed anything out but if I have, someone is sure to come along to correct me.

So far, I don't think that the Minister is threatening to change his order of priority processing for the umpteenth time but if he is going to make any more alterations to the order in which GSM applications are processed, 1st July 2010 woould be a good time to do it.

Cheers

Gill

Guest reddragon81

Gill, thanks a lot for your post and your usual dedication and consideration.

I am just going to go trough what things, among the ones you mentioned, will really happen, and what things will likely not, since the first of July is only 10 days away.

DIAC have said that they are reviewing the Points Test for GSM visa applications. According to DIAC, the new Points Test is likely to be revealed and to become effective on 1st January 2011. As yet, they have not completed their review.

As you just wrote, DIAC, as yet, have not completed their review of the Points Test. The new system will clearly not be ready in 10 days.

2. The new State Migration Plans are due to be published and are due to take effect from 1st July 2010.

Here, unfortunately, George Lombard has been very clear (and I have also read one of your posts where you basically agreed with him): the States and DIAC have not even reached an agreement on the ways that the SMPs have to be drawn up and approved. As Lombard said, we might have to wait several months to see the first drafts come out. George has been cautious, I will be frank: there's no way on earth the SMPs will be ready and approved in the next 10 days.

4. Vetassess say that DIAC told them that new transitional arrangements for skills assessments are due to take effect from 1st July 2010. DIAC are supposed to have said that they would make an announcement on their website that would clarify Vetassess' beliefs. DIAC's announcement was due to have been published during the week of 14th to 18th June 2010 but so far, the DIAC website remains silent.

Here, again, as you wrote, DIAC website remains silent.

1. The current suspension on new applications for offshore GSM visas will be lifted and DIAC will be able to receive applications for these visas again;

5. The new quotas of visas that are to be permitted in each subclass will become effective and visas will start to be granted again from 1st July onwards.

These two points might be seen as roughly the same i.e. processing will commence again (but with the same priority processing that existed before, so nothing new here)

3. The new SOL will be implemented on 1st July 2010 though the occupations on it will each be worth the same number of Points as before, maybe forever but certainly until the promised new Points test is released.

As you said, the occupations on the list will still be worth the same number of points (at least until the new Points Test is implemented, which certainly won't happen in the next 10 days), so nothing will change here either.

Summary

The only people who should wait for any news from the 1st of July onwards are the people who have already lodged their application and were expecting to be shortly processed because being in category 1-3 of the priority processing. Everyone else should forget about the 1st of July and start looking at the 11th of August (the date when the bill will be passed or blocked by the Parliament). I think that Chris Evans' plan is to keep as many things as possible unchanged, until the bill is passed or blocked, and then decide where to go from there. He certainly wouldnt want to approve SMPs that include professions that he might want to cap and cease. Say for example that the SMPs are approved on the 1st of July. Some of them will include cooks and hairdressers and we know that SMPs are category 2 (one of the fastest to be processed). That would mean that between the 1st of July and the 11th of August, some cooks and hairdressers would be granted PR. This is exactly what Chris Evans is fighting against. This is the reason why Evans wants to wait for the Cap & Cease Bill to be passed before approving any SMPs.

Everything I have written is not official , and is the way I think that things will go.

I might be proven wrong ...and I do hope so...

In only 10 days we will find out.

Gill, thanks a lot for your post and your usual dedication and consideration.

I am just going to go trough which of the things that you mentioned will really happen, and which will likely not, since the first of July is only 10 days away.

As you just wrote, as yet DIAC have not completed their review of the Points Test. The new system will clearly not be ready in 10 days.

Here, unfortunately, George Lombard has been very clear (and I have also read one of your posts where you basically agreed with him): the States and DIAC have not even reached an agreement on the ways that the SMPs have to be drawn up and approved. As Lombard said, we might have to wait several months to see the first drafts come out. George has been cautious, I will be frank: there's no way on earth the SMPs will be ready and approved in the next 10 days.

Here, again, as you wrote, DIAC website remains silent.

These two points might be seen as roughly the same i.e. processing will commence again (but with the same priority processing that existed before, so nothing new here)

As you said, the occupations on the list will still be worth the same number of points (at least until the new Points Test is implemented, which certainly won't happen in the next 10 days), so nothing will change here either.

Summary

The only people who should wait for any news from the 1st of July onwards are the people who already lodged their application and were expecting to be shortly processed because being in category 1-3 of the priority processing. Everyone else should forget about the 1st of July and start looking at the 11th of August (the date when the bill will be passed or blocked by the Parliament). I think that Chris Evans' plan is to keep as many things as possible unchanged, until the bill is passed or blocked, and then decide where to go from there. He certainly wouldnt want to approve SMPs that include professions that he might want to cap and cease. Say for example that the SMPs are approved on the 1st of July. Some of them will include cooks and hairdressers and we know that SMPs is category 2 (one of the fastest to be processed). That would mean that between the 1st of July and the 11th of August, some cooks and hairdressers would be granted PR. This is exactly what Chris Evans is fighting against. This is the reason why Evans wants to wait for this Bill to be passed before approving the SMPs.

Everything I have written is not official , and is the way I think that things will go.

I might be proven wrong ...and I do hope so...

In only 10 days we will find out.

What Gill has conveyed here is exactly what DIAC / Aussie Government have conveyed to all of us. Unfortunately, whether their commitment will be honoured or not is something we will know only on 1st July.

Since in the past, the Aussie Government have backed off from their prior commitments (e.g. the new SOL did not arrive as informed), George Lombard and Gill, with their vast experience, are anticipating a similar situation and that is why they have commented as they did in their earlier posts.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Reddragon

Ozzieland is quite right. I merely described what DIAC are saying. I did not claim that any of it will actually happen on 1st July 2010.....!!

As usual, the Minister has decided to treat prospective and existing visa applicants like dirt, therefore nobody knows what will happen in reality and we won't know until DIAC make some further announcements.

DIAC might well wait until at least 9am AEST on 1st July before they say anything more. Such is the optimism of public servants that they always tend to believe that problems can be fixed in time and then they act surprised when somebody points out that time has run out whilst they sat around deliberating amongst themselves!

Cheers

Gill

Guest Ann C

can someone tell me how do i find out what category im in looked over all the paper work and just cant work it out.We r going in on the 176 CSL visa.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gollywobbler
can someone tell me how do i find out what category im in looked over all the paper work and just cant work it out.We r going in on the 176 CSL visa.

Hi AnnC

If you have not already done so, please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au

You will receive an auto-reply e-mail which (unusually for DIAC) is actually informative! It should answer your question and you should get the auto-reply within about 30 minutes of sending your e-mail off.

Cheers

Gill

Guest reddragon81

Well guys,

the 1st of July has arrived and, as I suspected, DIAC have not honoured their commitments :

- SMPs have NOT been released

- New Points Test System NOT been implemented

- New SOL has come into effect (reducing the professions from 400 to 181), though the occupations on it are each worth the same number of points as

before

- Suspension on new applications for offshore GSM visas has been lifted, but NO new priority processing has been announced

The only real News is the following:

The Minister has now set the maximum number of visas that can be granted for the specified visa classes in the 2009-10 financial year. As the cap has now been reached, applications subject to the capping decision have now ceased. Which is such a horrible news for all Pre-Sept 2007 applicants. My simpathy to them.

Archived