rickmoore1

Vetassess test Refrigeration & Aircon help!!

Hi I have just submitted the paper part of my vetassess assessment for the Refrigeration and Air-conditioning ASCO Number 4312-11 and as I understand it if I am successful in this part I will be asked to do a day’s assessment somewhere in the U.K. I would like to know if anyone has been on this assessment day and what the day involved. How many people take the assessment in one day? How is the assessment done? What tests where you asked to do on what type of equipment? How long the assessment takes is there an exam and did you have to take your own tools? Or where tolls provided? I have had a look on this forum and have found a page that talks about the assessment but it is missing a good break down of what you are expected to do on the day I would appreciate some knowledge of the assessment before I turn up on the day thanks Rick

Guest JK2510

Hi

My OH is an air con engineer who sat his practical in October 2008. If you are still looking for info fell free to PM me and ill get all the information you need from my OH!!

Guest Grace Bay

If you find out any further info on the practical, could you also post it on here? Doesn't seem to be much on this trade on this site or anywhere to think of it!! My OH is due to do practical next month. Thanks.

Guest JK2510

Hi,

Our practical assessment was in october 2008 so the info im giving may or may not have changed!

The Practical test takes a whole day roughly 9 till 5. There were 6 people being tested at the same time in one room. All people taking the tests were set up at different stations in the class room. You have to wear overalls and take all ppe with you for example gloves boots and goggles. It is best to take your own handtools and specific air con tools e.g vac pump, gauges and reclaim unit. One test is to work on a small air con unit and carry out removal of gas, pressure testing, vaccing out and charging back up. Then monitoring running conditions, setting up superheat and subcooling etcc. Another test was checking whether a compressor was down to earth using a mega meter. Another test was wiring a 15amp plug and an external 110v plug. Another test was making up a 1/2 inch copper pipe test piece to scale on a diagram using pipe benders, swaging tool and brazing using oxy acetylene kit. The section of pipe gets pressure tested and if there are any leaks you fail!!

The other test was to investigate why a small air con unit was not working and report your findings. The fault i had was a blocked drier and i had to explain how i knew it was blocked!?! Simple stuff really but it is nerve racking due to what is at stake. The examiners ask a lot of questions but i guarantee if you are a half decent air con engineer you will know more than they do!

Hope this helps anyone who is going to do the tests, if you need to ask any more questions please feel free to message me!

Good Luck

Guest Grace Bay

Thanks so much!! Will pass this info on to my OH. As you say, its not so much the test itself...its knowing whats at stake and how much it flippin' cost!!:rolleyes:

Guest JK2510

Hi,

My OH left the test centre believing he failed! You should be able to log on line via vettassess and find out your result. Our result was online about 10 days after test day!

Welcome to the world where you give your money to people by the £1000 per time.:cry::cry:

my OH is a refrigeration Engineer and we lodged our Vetassess app last month so waiting to hear back to see if we have got though to the practical. We are so eager to move to OZ so hope everything is ok.

The practical must be nerve wrecking, nice to here that others have got though it though

]:wink:Have permenent residency and flying out 26th April 2012

Guest JK2510

Hi,

Like I say any half decent fridge/air con engineer will be fine! Keep calm and collective!

Good luck

Guest bluepolo
Hi,

Our practical assessment was in october 2008 so the info im giving may or may not have changed!

The Practical test takes a whole day roughly 9 till 5. There were 6 people being tested at the same time in one room. All people taking the tests were set up at different stations in the class room. You have to wear overalls and take all ppe with you for example gloves boots and goggles. It is best to take your own handtools and specific air con tools e.g vac pump, gauges and reclaim unit. One test is to work on a small air con unit and carry out removal of gas, pressure testing, vaccing out and charging back up. Then monitoring running conditions, setting up superheat and subcooling etcc. Another test was checking whether a compressor was down to earth using a mega meter. Another test was wiring a 15amp plug and an external 110v plug. Another test was making up a 1/2 inch copper pipe test piece to scale on a diagram using pipe benders, swaging tool and brazing using oxy acetylene kit. The section of pipe gets pressure tested and if there are any leaks you fail!!

The other test was to investigate why a small air con unit was not working and report your findings. The fault i had was a blocked drier and i had to explain how i knew it was blocked!?! Simple stuff really but it is nerve racking due to what is at stake. The examiners ask a lot of questions but i guarantee if you are a half decent air con engineer you will know more than they do!

Hope this helps anyone who is going to do the tests, if you need to ask any more questions please feel free to message me!

Good Luck

My OH took the pratical in May 2010 and test is still the same as above (3/8ths cooper though with toy town benders as my OH calls them). Examiners don't give anything away during the test, he couldn't call how it went after, but he passed just waiting to apply for ss now

Guest JK2510

Hi,

That's great news that you passed!! Where abouts are you hoping to go? I say hoping as the SMPS may have a say so in your decision making??

It's great to hear from other air con engineers,it seems a rare job.

That is great that you passed Bluepolo. Were still waiting to hear back from Vetassess to see if my OH has got through to the practical.

Leeanne

Guest bluepolo

Thanks...rare is a good thing I hope. We wanted to QLD as our friends emigrated there in 2008 but don't think we will be on thier SMP so our next choice is WA

I see you have SS from WA do you have yor visa or are you still waiitng to hear?

Karen

Guest bluepolo

Hey Leanne - It must be a relief to get your paper work in I think it took 6 weeks for us to here from veasses for the result of the paperwork so hang on in there

Guest JK2510

We have WA approval but no visa grant yet!

I'm

sure it will be on WA SMP.

Good luck.

Hi , just wondered....how did they contact you to say your app was ok and you can apply for the practical? e-mail or post?

Leeanne

Guest JK2510
Hi , just wondered....how did they contact you to say your app was ok and you can apply for the practical? e-mail or post?

Leeanne

Hi leanne,

I'm sorry we can't remember!!! It was such a long time ago! Our agent just told us what to do and when! We just parted with the money for practical when told! Lol

I'm sure blue polo could help as that was more recent than 2008.

It was by email from our agent.

Guest bluepolo

we did ours through our agent too so we received the confirmation from them and again arrnaged the pratical through them. We passed the paper assesment at the end of Sept 2009 but had to wait till May 10 pratical as we couldn't make the one in Oct09 as it was 1 week after we had our paper assesment and were expecting to go in Feb10 but they cancelled all the UK praticals for Feb for reasons unkown

Guest Grace Bay

Our paper assessment took approx 6 weeks until we got results. OH booked on practical this month!! Fingers crossed! Then its the wait for smp...

Had confirmation yesterday that my OH has passed the theory so now waiting to book the practical, there are no dates available yet so not sure how long we will have to wait. One big waiting game.!

Hi all

I am knew to this forum.

I am an air conditioning engineer and Vetassess have just taken payment for a practical assessment in London on either 21 or 22 Feb.

I found the post by JK2510 very helpful as I was not knowing what to expect.

Does anybody know if the test has changed in the last few years?

The paperwork seemed to be more electrical theory than I expected, is live testing, earth insulation testing and circuit testing in the practical?

I am very nervous because as you have al said, a lot rides on this for my family and I.

Craig.

My OH has his practical date confirmed for the Monday 21st Feb. He is taking it in his stride and trying to stay focused. He has been reading over the paperwork so fully aware what is expected of him. It is so much riding on it.

Have you been to Oz before craig?

Guest JK2510
Hi all

I am knew to this forum.

I am an air conditioning engineer and Vetassess have just taken payment for a practical assessment in London on either 21 or 22 Feb.

I found the post by JK2510 very helpful as I was not knowing what to expect.

Does anybody know if the test has changed in the last few years?

The paperwork seemed to be more electrical theory than I expected, is live testing, earth insulation testing and circuit testing in the practical?

I am very nervous because as you have al said, a lot rides on this for my family and I.

Craig.

I can't comment on any updates with regards to the vetassess practical test but after the visa grant comes through there is more paperwork and tests!!!

My OH has now applied for his oz air con licence and that just involved a small fee,vetassess certificate,certified passport photo. They say it can be applied for online but after doing so it sends an automated email stating it needs to be sent to oz(victoria).

OH also need to apply for a WA restricted electrical licence which involves more forms and a practical test. He hasn't yet sat the test as we don't arrive till next week so will post the details for the restricted electrical licence.

Good luck guys!!

Finally done the test, straight forward really but the nerves got the better of me.

No idea how i done.

Hi Rick

Were you at the assessment on 22 Feb along with me?

Regards Craig

Guest JK2510

Something to be aware of. A lot of companies do not supply a fully stocked company car/van. My OH has to buy all his own tools at an expense of $5k!!!

My other half did his Refrig and Air con practical last monday on 21st Feb, waiting now to see how he done.