Vetassess test Refrigeration & Aircon help!!

rickmoore1

Guest mattd2306

Hi leeannekays!

My name is Matt and I am in the early stages of applying for a visa with my other half! I am also a qualified refrigeration and air con engineer with an NVQ Lvl3. I have spent much time searching websites and forums for info on the vetassess refrigeration practical skills assessment and there is not much info about! Yours is the most relevant post I have found so far! I was wondering whether your other half could give me a description of what the practical assessment tasks are? As this element of the process is worrying me the most! Hope he was successful and all is well!

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Matt

Hi all

Here is a quick run down of the skills assessment i finished recently.

1/ Fit guages to a small refrigeration unit, take readings of pressure, temps, superheat etc..

Use reclaim machine to take out all gas. Pressure test and re-gas.

2/ Test several compressors and motors for electrical fault, record winding resistances, demonstrate how to wire a 3 phase motor in star & delta.

3/ Find an electrical fault on a small refrigeration system.

4/ Find a fault on another system refrigerant related.

5/ Find a fault on an air conditioning split unit.

6/ Demonstrate safe practices when disconnecting/reconnecting electrical components.

7/ Wire a single phase 3-pin plug, and a 3 phase 5-pin plug.

8/ Make up a piece of pipe consisting of bends, flares, brazes, to specific measurements. Then pressure test and cut open through braze joints.

During the day, the examiners ask relative questions to keep you on your toes.

you need to keep calm, I didn't.

Guest Bernicelee

Hi, me and my partner are hoping to love in perth.. We are going to apply for the 175 visa and he is also an air conditioning technician. How much does the assesment cost if you dont mind me asking? We have been reading through all sorts of papers and cant seem to find where to begin the process? Do you need a sponsorship as well before you apply for the 175? My husband has been offered a job last year when we visited my father in perth.. So many questions!! Really please to hear you finally got yoru visa and you are living in sunny oz. Its such an inspiration to read other peoples success stories :-)

• 1 month later...
Guest JK2510

Each state varies to how many years exerience is required for state sponsorship. OH has 10 years and is to NVQ 2 level.

The points system changes in July so you may wanna look into that to make sure you will have enough points to satisfy DIAC.

Be prepared to do other courses when you arrive in oz.

Each state varies to how many years exerience is required for state sponsorship. OH has 10 years and is to NVQ 2 level. The points system changes in July so you may wanna look into that to make sure you will have enough points to satisfy DIAC. Be prepared to do other courses when you arrive in oz.

Guest JK2510
Hi Jodie,

Thanks for replying. I find all this information very helpfull.

I dont suppose you know how many years experience is required from me, post qualification? What is the minimum amount of years, if you know.

Many thanks for your help. I hope your all enjoying the great weather!

Nick

It all depends on each states requirements. I know air engineers are on SA,WA,NT,ACT. I know they're definately not on NSW and QLD.

Try the IMMI/DIAC website. You should be able to find all the info you need. I'm not that clued up on it as we lodged back in 2009 and since then there has been many changes.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Craiganddebs, good luck with the house sale. Have you got issued you australia visa? I'm looking to emigrate next year. I have just passed my vetassess paperwork check (pretty fast only took just over 2 weeks) so now in process of booking my practical. Looks like I will be doing it at willesden, this is where I passed my NVQ level 2 in year 2000. I don't seem to hear of many people failing vetassess, was the practical difficult? £350 for paperwork check and then another £850 practical seems complete rip off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kadafi.

I think the practical, as stressful as it is, is pretty basic. I don't think there is a pass mark as such, so most people get through it OK.

As long as your willing to pay for it....

I think money is a big motive behind most of these assesments... But if your willing to go through it all and do what it takes your probably suited.

I think mine was willesden too... Near Wembley?

Things are really starting to move now for me.

After I passed the practical, I had to do the IELTS, police checks and medical..... Thankfully everything was OK and Visa was granted..

One thing I wasn't prepared for is I had to enter Oz within 10 months to kick start the visa, so we took a forced holiday last year which nearly wiped out my savings.

House sale is nearly done and dusted, so were looking forward now to getting to Perth or Rockingham area where we have friends and family already waiting for us.

Anyway,

Craiganddebs

thats cool that you have really progressed through the system, it seems once you get started and something is ticked off then you hear of something else that needs to be done. Does everyone have to do ielts? Im English so it seems pretty stupid to waste money doing an English test! if you don't mind me asking, how did you find out you needed ielts, police check and medical etc? We're you informed once you submitted your visa interest?

Yes willesden is not far from wembley, I'm booked for my practical on 28th June so I've just been brushing up on a few things.

we have been looking at the Brisbane area or Adelaide.

Hi Kadafi

I knew about the police checks and medical when I first started the visa application, i thought that was a normal thing to check so no problems with that.

I didn't expect to be sitting the IELTS though.... Being English, seemed like a waste of time(money)

:nah:

I think it was because when I got checked for my visa points, I was 30, and I had enough points to get by with my skills. But by the time I was applying, I Was 31, nearly 32. So I suddenly lost 5 points on the scoring system and the EILTS gave me those extra points to get me through.

(I hope this is right or I was shafted)

Anyway, all turned out OK, and I hope to be going to Perth or Rockingham in WA in the next couple of months. My wife has family nearby and I know a couple of guys around their already working in air con.

We are lucky to have them.

Hope it all works out for you.

What made you choose Adelaide or Brisbane?

Craiganddebs,

we'll your near my age, I'm 33 so looks like I will need the points also. My wife originates from Thailand so I know she will need to take the IELTS so I guess it's not really a big deal that I do it also (just the extra money). We spend quite a bit of time in Thailand and I used to live there so maybe they will require police checks from there also, I will need to find out.

We were looking at Adelaide as we have a 5 year old son and it looks like a nice place to bring up a child and an easy place to get around. Brisbane, Gold Coast area was really due to the climate, we love the warm weather and also that I do know someone from that area.

seems like it's taken you a few years to get to this point, from vetassess check to visa approval?

It will be well worth it though...

Archived