VHS video machines,do they work in OZ

Mylady

Hi

Does anyone know if the VCR machines work in oz,I know everyone is on about dvd and blu-rays but but kids have scratched so much dvd`s that I bought them a VCR machine.This and the videos are still without a scratch.They more child friendly than dvd`s.I really would like to take it down with me.

Can anyone help quickly cos I`m busy packing.

Thanks a million.:wubclub:

Mylady

Guest dawnpepper

we bought ours out here and no it doesn't work. My husband seems to think if you bring your own tv out with you then you will be able to play your videos but you wont get a signal to record. the main problem is that we bought a new tv out here and the video recorder doesn't attach as it has a scart lead and our tv only has HDMI connections. My husband again thinks you may be able to buy a lead to connect the two.

am sure someone may have experience of their's working though.

Guest Waylyn

Okay, to start off with the VCR will only work in Aus to play pre recorded tapes. You will not be able to record programmes due to different signals. While the UK and Aus are both PAL there are variations such as PAL B, PAL I etc.

Basically the UK VCR will not recognise the signal properly from Aus.

However, you can get around it buy using a seperate tuner to convert the signal. I searched for info for when we came back to the UK as we were bringing an Aussie TV back and I found this website:

TV Tuners & Adaptors for incompatibility issues on LCD,Plasma and Monitors.

If you email them they will tell you exactly which piece of equipment you will need.

Be aware of the cost involved in going down this route, it may well be cheaper to buy a new VCR when in Aus.

As for the HDMI issue, I've never seen Scart used on Aussie electrical equipment. You either have HDMI or the three plugs that are red yellow and white (can't recall the proper name for them!) If you want to plug in through them, you can get a scart to three plug (R,Y,W) lead or a module that converts the scart socket in the machine to accept the cables. I believe the same is true for HDMI but I'm not 100% sure. I would say to try somewhere like Dick Smiths or Harvey Normans but they are only good if the staff are clued up. Alternatively do a search on the net for converters :-)

OK ,let me get this straight,The VCR will work with an Australian tv to play pre recorded movies.I have never used it to record before so that is not a problem,Basically if I take the vcr plug it with the scart on one side and the red,yellow and white thingy on the other side to the tv my kids can watch their videos. Is this correct.

Forgive me I`m not very technically minded!

Thank you.

Guest Waylyn

Short answer then - take it with you :-)

If all you need it for is to watch tapes then it's not a problem.

The only issue will be the scart and you can get the Scart to AV output (remembered with the help of OH what it was called lol) from here to take with you

SCART (Peritel) AV Output Adapter

This is what you're looking for so you could try your local Currys, Comet etc.

Hope that helps you :-)