Anyone else had this trouble when leaving rental property?

sadsmile23

Guys, just so you know, the agents aren't on the side of the landlord either.

I'm an Aussie, living over here in Ireland. My house is rented in Brisbane, and I have to hand hold the agent through everything. They're certainly not there for the landlords - they are there for themselves, and the mates they look after in the trades: ie, they have mates like electricians, painters, plumbers etc, and they give all the work to them (in return for what I wonder? brown paper bags of folding stuff?) - I was charged 90 dollars once for an electrician to come out and switch the ELCB (earth leakage circuit breaker) from OFF to ON. The deadbeat tenant didn't know how to do it, so I had to pay for it. I've got a hundred stories like that...

I fully support you taking this crap to the authorities: the stinking agents have been getting away with it for years - its a freaking disgrace.

Could you imagine being married to one of these inspection Agents!! Agenticide will soon become a new phenomenon here.They are the most miserable,sad Sheet heads i have ever had the misfortune to meet.They have got a job to do i know,but the way they treat people and speak disrespectfully to them,soon someone's gonna flip!I had loads of nonsense in my last rental,and don't take lightly to being ripped off,but this is what goes on here quite often.:mad: :sad:

Guest tony&dee

Can anyone give us some info on how and what we need for a rental before we arrive to make things easier. Thanks Dee.

a digital camera and a few spare discs..

To be fair our first rental was with a different company and they were great never had an issue, as has been posted most are franchise so its luck of the draw! just keep every email and all your pictures , and if you are worried about any probs get them in asap and keep emails of complaints etc .

Can anyone give us some info on how and what we need for a rental before we arrive to make things easier. Thanks Dee.

hi, where are you migrating to?

it all depends on the rental you like and which agent is looking after it. so you have to deal with the agent that the owner has chosen.

now, different agents use different methods of "scoring" you for approval to rent.

some do a points scoring system, some ask for specific proof of your worthyness, for example copy of recent bank statement, drivers licience, references from old / new employer etc.

we scrolled www.realestate.com.au www.domain.com.au for a rental we liked then took it from there by emailing the agent.

both sites let you fine tune your search for what you are after. however we suggest if it give you the address then google earth it as this shows you thing like local railway lines etc.

good luck.

Guest tony&dee

Perth, we have a holiday rental in Baldivis for a couple of weeks and we think we will move NOR then, as husband is a joiner and has some chance of work.

have i read this right? you guys signed a 12 month lease and 6 weeks into it the owner put it up for sale???

if that is the case is that not a breach of lease agreement on the owners end?

we have rented a house because its NOT up for sale as we do not want open house days etc.

yep we only wanted a 6 month contract but owner point blank refused so we took a 12 month contract and 6 weeks later its up for sale and we have had people in viewing it ever since, there is absolutely nothing you can do if they do this and I have checked it out with the tenants board here - even if we are not in the property the estate agents or owner can bring prospective purchasers around as long as they give us 24 hours notice. I know we couldnt believe it either!!!

We moved into a filthy place that the agent claimed would be cleaned top to bottom. It wasn't. The weeds in the side garden were 6 foot tall. The agent claimed they would be pruned. They weren't.

So, we cleaned the house ourselves, weeded all gardens and then moved our lovely furniture in. At which point the landlord put the house up for sale and we had to go through home opens for 2 months. The place never sold, as he was asking a ludicrous amount.

As we have been here two years now, paint 2 years older, garden looks different, carpets more worn etc. I don't expect we'll get anything like the full bond back.Sister-in-law has had 2 rentals over here where she received NONE of her bond back. And she says that is not that uncommon.

Take note.

We got our full bond back on our first rental , we did everything by the book , had carpets cleaned proffesionaly etc , re painted the walls where there were scuffs and not from us they were on our list of faults etc ...

i think we won't get it back this time , as the owners have had to pay out for stuff since we have been here and we have had it a year ... time will tell !

yep we only wanted a 6 month contract but owner point blank refused so we took a 12 month contract and 6 weeks later its up for sale and we have had people in viewing it ever since, there is absolutely nothing you can do if they do this and I have checked it out with the tenants board here - even if we are not in the property the estate agents or owner can bring prospective purchasers around as long as they give us 24 hours notice. I know we couldnt believe it either!!!

This kind of problem can be avoided at contract stage. If you make sure the agent take out any rights to view the property during the term of your tenancy with the exception of this clause;

"During the last two months of the Tenancy to permit the Premises to be viewed at all reasonable times by prior mutually acceptable appointment at reasonable times during normal working hours following a request by any person who is (or is acting on behalf of) a prospective purchaser or tenant of the Premises."

Absolutely fuming so need to get this off my chest.

We have lived in our rental property for 18 months since arriving in Oz - was brand new when we moved in. Have paid rent regularly, never missed, had excellent 3 monthly inspections. We recently bought our own home, so handed in our notice and gave the keys back on 3 June. The real estate agent, Remax, came out to do the final inspection on 8 June and pointed out a few marks on the walls, either where we had wiped marks away or had touched the paint up slightly to cover a chip here and there. They told us that they required a painter to come and quote for the work - he quoted $1300!!! On top of this, they then tried to tell us that we were behind with one weeks rent - this has since been "found" on their computer system.

We told Remax we were not prepared to accept this quote and went and bought the paint ourselves, and spent the good part of 2 days repainting the walls that they had pointed out needed re-painting. The rental manager came and checked the walls, asked us to do a few more walls on top of the ones we had already done. All this while the poor new tenants were moving all their belongings into the property.

I called into their office first thing this morning to give them back the keys (again) and the receptionist went into the back office to talk to the rental manager, we confirmed that everything was over and, other than a small amount owing for water useage, the bond paperwork could now be processed.

I then received a phone call from the rental manager at 4.50pm to say that the painting we had done was still not acceptable and they would be asking a painter to come in and give a quote to "rectify" the issues.

They acknowledge that we have kept the property in an immaculate condition, that the rent has always been paid on time etc etc, but we have to return the house to the condition it was in when we moved in - brand new?!?!

I cannot believe that this can be normal practice - does this seem unreasonable to anyone else? Does anyone have any experience of this, either with Remax or any other agent? They have said to us, "if you dont like it, you can go to court"......does anyone have any experience of this procedure - is it worth digging your heels in from principle or do we just give in to their demands??

Please, someone, can you give us some legal or hands-on advice on this????

we also had major issues with leaving our rental with the Proffesionals.....in perth, we left one or two chips in the wall , the retic never worked so the lawn went like straw, some sticky tape we left on the wall was also noted and they wanted some guy to come and peel it off!!!!!!! my wife and i spent so much time cleaning it as we found it ,then they told us the bond we gave them was the exact amount the bill came to for the work to be carried out!!!!! we stood our ground for a few months as they were taking us to court , just before the court date they paid us the money back .........so dont be frightened to defend yourself ....they are all the same ...full of **** , nice as when your in the gaff tho.........tell them to go and f*ck themselves , be strong and hold your ground...........

Guest mtcosby

we have just spent the last 10 months feeling like the lowest of the low curtesy of our rental agents....... weve had the phone put down on us not once but twice when I refused to bow down to their demands... weve been told on numerous occations.... ''we are just tennants'' we took photos of everything when we moved into the rental and it took me 4 days to read through their condition report adding lots of ''missed '' info onto it.... thank god though as now we moved out ive gone back to that report and gone through it with a fine tooth comb... as weve had regular inspections each time they said how wonderful the house looked .. but NO REPORT given... EVER.... and as time goes on wear and tear happen..... weve painted areas where chips have appeared, and the house is 100 times cleaner than when we moved in.... after the phone was put down on us we demanded only communcation via email... weve kept every converasation every email, logged every phone call (in the begining) and been in regular contact with REWIA..... im waiting for the so called professional real estate agents to BRING IT ON... because this is one woman WHO WILL NOT LAY DOWN AND TAKE IT........im ready for the fight of my life and if required I will go to the papers and tv programmes and call their bluff.... they will NOT get a cent from us....... I would love to name the real estate agents... but im being professional about all this and just say..... KWINANA ya know the town near ROCKINGHAM WA there is a real estate there that has a name simular to the town they trade in... enough said...... dont want to be sued for deffamtion (is that how ya spell it??) lol .. i will let ya know how the fight goes...... oh and weve takin photos (dated) on the day we left tooo.......

Its about time good honnest tenants faught back.....

xxx

Guest mtcosby

nearly had me though... i nearly cracked....... then thought ..''hang on''' at least i can sleep at night...... im gonna buy them ''horlicks'' for christmas... got those of you who doesnt know what the hell im on about.. its an advert in UK for Horlicks..... saying .... how do they sleep at night...... ie... traffic wardens.... bailiffs etc... they drink ''horlicks''' ermmmmm sounds like crap but its actually funny hahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahah ... OMG ive finally cracked mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa...................

Hi Sadsmile,

Any news??

Were leaving our rental in next few weeks and have requested a joint final inspection but they haven't granted this yet, anyone know if I can insist on this??

Very worried as the walls were chipped and needed a re-paint even before we moved in 6 months ago. We're the third tennants in the house since it was build just over 3 years ago, and it has never been repainted, just have a horrid feeling we will cop for the lot!!

x Jo

Guest mtcosby

ive just put something on here about what im going through... i feel sick with anger.........................

Guest Waylyn

Wow! I now realise that we came out well with our time of renting a few years back.

The first place we rented we got full bond back plus they told us it was cleaner than when OH moved in (he went out to Aus first then I followed on)

The second place we got most of it back as there was a mark on the carpet that we didn't pick up on with the inspection.

Third place, I think we got a little back but it was a sh1t h0le and so were the agents - a large well known firm who I would never deal with again in a month of Sundays, not even to buy a house!

Fourth place got all the bond back and they were fab agents! Nothing was too much trouble for them and the bond was paid promptly too. OH was initially worried about them as the looked like a small fly by night company but they turned out to be the best.

From reading on here and with my own experience it seems wise to avoid 'the big boys' and look for smaller firms.

Ahhh, joy! I've got all this to look forward to again!

As an aside, we are currently renting in the UK and I can't see us getting our bond back here. Unlike in Aus there is no bond board, the owner or agent usually keeps the money. It's seems common in the UK that you will never get the bond back, so it will be interesting to see how it goes when the time comes to ship out!

As an aside, we are currently renting in the UK and I can't see us getting our bond back here. Unlike in Aus there is no bond board, the owner or agent usually keeps the money. It's seems common in the UK that you will never get the bond back, so it will be interesting to see how it goes when the time comes to ship out!

Hiya Waylyn, when did you start renting? Because legislation in regard to the deposit/bond has now changed - since 2007 actually, so if you have renewed or signed a contract since then, the landlord/agents are required to hold your deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme and must let you know the details of where/how the money is being held.

Tenancy Deposit : Directgov

If your tenancy was signed since 2007, you should tell your landlord he needs to do this or else he's breaking the law.

Hiya Waylyn, when did you start renting? Because legislation in regard to the deposit/bond has now changed - since 2007 actually, so if you have renewed or signed a contract since then, the landlord/agents are required to hold your deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme and must let you know the details of where/how the money is being held.

Tenancy Deposit : Directgov

If your tenancy was signed since 2007, you should tell your landlord he needs to do this or else he's breaking the law.

That's if the tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. One such requirement being that a tenancy is less than £2083.33pcm, so if the rental is higher than that, then its not a legal requirement for the deposit to be held in a scheme. There are a couple of other things that define if something is an AST, but the rental amount is generally the most relevant.

Guest Waylyn

Yes, it was Feb 2008 that we started renting so the link will make for interesting reading!

Thanks for that:biggrin:

Archived