Guest peterd869

Aussie drivers

Guest peterd869

Dear all,

What do you think of Aussie drivers/

Personally I think they are so bad. No one follows the road rules. cant drive in a straight line!!

Pete

Guest chris955

Popcorn.............get your popcorn. :biggrin:

Generally speaking they are some of the worst in the world, no doubt some will come on and tell us they are far better than in the UK but anyone with even one fully functioning eye can see the low standard. My father in law couldn't believe it when he was here and some friends last year wouldn't even drive here.

Guest peterd869

yep aussies cant do round abouts. the round abouts are so small too

perth drivers :-

dont know how to merge

compete like there in a race

truck/bus drivers drive like they are driving a car

ignore amber and red lights

infact i prefer driving in bangkok than here haha:arghh:

Guest wayniexagt

im a truck driver from brum ,now in perth and OMFG.............. the driving standards are shocking ....... no body is aware of there surroundings , very indecisive , down rite dangerous , young kids running round in V8s..... no wonder there always parking them in someones front garden............. !.

Guest chris955

It just comes down to a lack of decent driver training, I have seen learner drivers sitting in the right lane of a dual carriageway with nothing to their left, if they are being taught that it is OK then that is the sort of practises they will carry through to everyday driving once they have their license.

Guest wayniexagt

yep lane displine is a real problem over here........

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Dear all,

What do you think of Aussie drivers/

Personally I think they are so bad. No one follows the road rules. cant drive in a straight line!!

Pete

Hi Pete

I haven't read any replies so as not to be influenced, so this is my experience.

i have just come back from Brisbane and i was also previously in Perth and admittedly i only was driving for 2 months, but in that time i had NO road rage incidents having driven some 3,000km.

As soon as i came home i was tailgated by some moron on my journey to taking the kids to school 2km away. I drive to work 15km away and not a day goes by without incident.

I loved the way you can overtake on the outside and the inside on motorways in Australia and to me this cuts down massively on tailgating and road rage incidents. I am sure there are people who will say its worse in Australia, but my experience was that it was far, far better and the roads were wide and mostly dual carriageway, unlike alot of roads in the uk.

jim:wink:

Guest chris955

I don't think it's a problem, it doesn't exist therefore not a problem :biggrin:

yep lane displine is a real problem over here........

Guest wayniexagt
I don't think it's a problem, it doesn't exist therefore not a problem :biggrin:

very good point chris ........its like there all wear horse blinkers :wink:

Put it this way they aren't trusted to turn right. Virtually every right tun at traffic lights has the red / green arrow on it, god forbid you cross the line of traffic using your own judgement.

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar

Guest chris955

One thing I have noticed is if there is a green turn signal most drivers will sit behind the line waiting for the approaching lane to clear so they can turn, rather than move to the centre of the road and give the car behind a chance to turn as well, not that red lights seem to stop them :laugh:

Due to necessity I am learning to drive over here in Sydney. Listening to my instructor she tells me that the young drivers are normally taught by parents/friends to clock up their compulsory 160 hours and have a maximum of 10 lessons with driving instructors to get the manoeuvers polished up! With lessons between $50-70 not surprising!

Lyn (50) Barry (39) Ross (9) IT WAG !!!

OFFERED 457 ON 18/02/2010 started 457 1/3/2010, CO ON 04/03/10, 457 awarded 16/3/10,arrived 23/4/10

Guest chris955

Yes that is the problem, the 160 hour thing is a waste of time as parents and friends firstly probably add a few hours here and there and also they are just passing on their bad habits.

Exactly what my driving instructor said

Lyn (50) Barry (39) Ross (9) IT WAG !!!

OFFERED 457 ON 18/02/2010 started 457 1/3/2010, CO ON 04/03/10, 457 awarded 16/3/10,arrived 23/4/10

Guest chris955

It was always going to happen, can you imagine some young kids licensed mate telling him he couldn't possibly falsify the hours for him. He just ends up teaching him how to do burnouts and to weave in and out of traffic.

talk about driving on ya bumper and undertaking at the last min with no warning! i had what looked like a kid too young to drive on my bumper in a v8 last night, yeh they drive slower but whoah was glad when i lost him!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
talk about driving on ya bumper and undertaking at the last min with no warning! i had what looked like a kid too young to drive on my bumper in a v8 last night, yeh they drive slower but whoah was glad when i lost him!!

Hi carla and lyn

do you know how much the insurance is in Australia for young drivers, my nephew in the uk has to pay £2,000 for just third party and this is on his parents policy. Does it cost $4,000 dollars, do you know, or does anyone else, we are interested because my son will be driving soon.

jim:wink:

im a truck driver from brum ,now in perth and OMFG.............. the driving standards are shocking ....... no body is aware of there surroundings , very indecisive , down rite dangerous , young kids running round in V8s..... no wonder there always parking them in someones front garden............. !.

here's something that may interest you, it's about power to weight ratio for young drivers. And I hope not to upset you but a Perth truck licence don't count for much well it didn't ten years ago, seems it was quiet easy to get one back then :wink:

power limits for P-platers - Western Australia - Australian News Message Boards

As for a truck drivers...... I dont know who taught you how to drive in Australia or the UK but in Australia I was taught to be very aware of my surrounding looking for mountains, hills lay of the land etc etc etc I was also taught to use the middle lane, all I was taught in the UK was to look behind me everytime I touched something seems they are not interested in whats happening in front of me or to the sides....

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

Guest Aldo
here's something that may interest you, it's about power to weight ratio for young drivers. And I hope not to upset you but a Perth truck licence don't count for much well it didn't ten years ago, seems it was quiet easy to get one back then :wink:

power limits for P-platers - Western Australia - Australian News Message Boards

As for a truck drivers...... I dont know who taught you how to drive in Australia or the UK but in Australia I was taught to be very aware of my surrounding looking for mountains, hills lay of the land etc etc etc I was also taught to use the middle lane, all I was taught in the UK was to look behind me everytime I touched something seems they are not interested in whats happening in front of me or to the sides....

wow,,, they teach you to look for mountains in Australia :notworthy:

Guest wayniexagt

im well aware of power to weight ratios (ive been a mechanic for 16 yrs and into my cars since i could walk i totally agree that all new drivers shud be restricted to 1600cc N/A cars for 5 yrs and only when they pass an advanced driving course then they shud be allowed to drive high horsepower cars .......... and tracy ive had my uk hgv for 8 yrs i think driving for bentley and aston martin should mean that im up to a certain standard ;)

im well aware of power to weight ratios (ive been a mechanic for 16 yrs and into my cars since i could walk i totally agree that all new drivers shud be restricted to 1600cc N/A cars for 5 yrs and only when they pass an advanced driving course then they shud be allowed to drive high horsepower cars .......... and tracy ive had my uk hgv for 8 yrs i think driving for bentley and aston martin should mean that im up to a certain standard ;)

you would well know that driving a car and a truck are 2 totally different things, so what driving for bentley and aston martin have to do with he price of fish I am unsure of (unless you like name dropping :wink:) So how long have you been driving trucks in Australia for?

I had seen your comments re teenagers and V8 noticed you were in WA so thought the link may interst you. BTW I agree with you regarding that, anything that saves lives is well worth investing in :wubclub:

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

wow,,, they teach you to look for mountains in Australia :notworthy:

The teach you lots of things Aldo, it may sound silly to you but when your fully loaded you need to be aware of whats ahead :wink:

In the UK when you take your hgv test you do it with an empty trailer (totally different to loaded) they also let you take it in trucks with a semi automatic box :wacko:

Kind Regards

Guest wayniexagt

ive been driving here nearly a year..... and for the name dropping .... you have to be assessed to make sure your driving is up to there standard......... and the test is easy .....ive seen loads of women taking lessons aswell !!!!!