Student Loan Overseas Form

Guest Shreen

Guest Shreen

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone fille dthis form out? Really confused with section C, what evidence do I need to provide? What should I put as I don't have a job or no work, do I put my savings information? Will they deduct from that?

Please help anyone, I want to do the right thing!

Link to form below if anyone can make better sense of it!!

Thanks

x

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_078083.pdf

I personally think that is a risk to divulge savings, but if you were filling it in then yes you would put zero income and then provide proof of savings but it could be they then deem you also have enough to be making repayments, which of course you may disagree with. If it was me, I would not fill in this form and as they're an administrative nightmare it will take them ages to track you down. When they do, then you can worry about all this, but I know that even friends who went overseas and naughtily worked and didn't tell the Loans Company, didn't get any kind of back dated punishment, they just had to pay from that point and that took them 2 years or so to catch up with him in NZ. Of course that's "technically" not doing the right thing, but would be what I would do.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my husband write a letter stating that he supported me financially, on the advice of the student loan company themselves. Don't know if you have a partner, if so, that could be the way to go.

They don't specifically ask for your savings, so I wouldn't/didn't put it either.

Jo

Guest Shreen
I had my husband write a letter stating that he supported me financially, on the advice of the student loan company themselves. Don't know if you have a partner, if so, that could be the way to go.

They don't specifically ask for your savings, so I wouldn't/didn't put it either.

Jo

Thanks! My partner will be supporting me at first so that works perfectly. Did you fill out the form as well or just write the letter?

Thanks for your help

Hi, I filled out the form and sent the letter wth it. For section B, I ticked other, and wrote supported by husband, with the letter to provide evidence as they ask for at the bottom of the form. For section C, I wrote my income as 0; can't remember if I wrote dollars, probably did.

All great fun; you have to fill a form in every twelve months to update your status too.

Guest Shreen
Hi, I filled out the form and sent the letter wth it. For section B, I ticked other, and wrote supported by husband, with the letter to provide evidence as they ask for at the bottom of the form. For section C, I wrote my income as 0; can't remember if I wrote dollars, probably did.

All great fun; you have to fill a form in every twelve months to update your status too.

Thanks so much! Just one last question, did you give bank details? Thanks again, I owe you! x

Excellent advice from Jo. Remember to get the letter from your husband specifically to say that you have not earned anything during the qualifying deferment period and he supports you financially, as they can be picky about the wording of 3rd party support letters and you don't want this to affect or delay your deferment.

If anyone reading this is in the same situation as the OP, always always apply for the 12 month deferment if you are eligible and make sure you get written confirmation from the SLC that it has been accepted - if you don't get that, chase it up because your application may not have been received/processed/accepted and as deferment can only be backdated by up to three months, you may find yourself liable for repayment of those repayments not covered by deferment.

Better to fill in a form every 12 months than to have to find the money because you didn't, Sol Survivor.

Hope this helps Shreen.

Sue x

Excellent advice from Jo. Remember to get the letter from your husband specifically to say that you have not earned anything during the qualifying deferment period and he supports you financially, as they can be picky about the wording of 3rd party support letters and you don't want this to affect or delay your deferment.

If anyone reading this is in the same situation as the OP, always always apply for the 12 month deferment if you are eligible and make sure you get written confirmation from the SLC that it has been accepted - if you don't get that, chase it up because your application may not have been received/processed/accepted and as deferment can only be backdated by up to three months, you may find yourself liable for repayment of those repayments not covered by deferment.

Better to fill in a form every 12 months than to have to find the money because you didn't, Sol Survivor.

Hope this helps Shreen.

Sue x

Yes true, always better to do things by the book, but am yet to hear of the Student Loans company asking for back dated payments etc. They are an admistrative calamity and their bark is bigger than their bite. Also like I said, know first hand of a friend in NZ being caught up with "eventually" and nothing back-dated came of that. But perhaps that is living life a bit close to the wire!:policeman:

Guest Shreen

Hope this helps Shreen.

Sue x

Thanks Sue! So do I need to apply for deferrment as well as filling in the overseas form? Only problem is I will be paying my student loan up until end of August anyway

So do I just need to fill in the form for now with the accompanying letter that my partner will be supporting me? Anyone have a temlate they can send or wording I should use?

Will def fill one in every 12 months. Thanks so much for your help everyone

X

Hi Shreen

Here is some detailed info on what the criteria is for deferment of the old-style mortgage loans and how to go about it.

Postponing repayment of your student loan (courses starting before 1998) : Directgov - Education and learning

If you do qualify to defer your repayments for 12 months, just make sure when you fill in your deferment application form that your husband states on the accompanying letter of financial support that you are not earning anything and that he is supporting you.

The SLC basically wants to have confirmation that you don't earn, or are not being given, financial support of more than the current monthly deferment threshold.

He also needs to sign and date his letter as proof that his statement to them

is current, because proof of income can't be any older than 3 months. Make sure you get a letter from them confirming they have accepted your application to defer, if you don't get that it could mean they need more information before they can accept it. Deferments can be backdated by up to 3 months to allow for this kind of thing though so don't worry if that happens.

Hopefully the link will be helpful but if you have any more worries, I'm happy to help.

Sue x

Guest Shreen
Hi Shreen

Here is some detailed info on what the criteria is for deferment of the old-style mortgage loans and how to go about it.

Postponing repayment of your student loan (courses starting before 1998) : Directgov - Education and learning

If you do qualify to defer your repayments for 12 months, just make sure when you fill in your deferment application form that your husband states on the accompanying letter of financial support that you are not earning anything and that he is supporting you.

The SLC basically wants to have confirmation that you don't earn, or are not being given, financial support of more than the current monthly deferment threshold.

He also needs to sign and date his letter as proof that his statement to them

is current, because proof of income can't be any older than 3 months. Make sure you get a letter from them confirming they have accepted your application to defer, if you don't get that it could mean they need more information before they can accept it. Deferments can be backdated by up to 3 months to allow for this kind of thing though so don't worry if that happens.

Hopefully the link will be helpful but if you have any more worries, I'm happy to help.

Sue x

Thanks Sue. I took out my student loan in 2003 so unfortunately i won't qualify for deferrment :( I'll fill out the overseas loan form as per Jo and rich and get the other half to write a letter, signed and dated. Thanks again x

Thanks Sue. I took out my student loan in 2003 so unfortunately i won't qualify for deferrment :( I'll fill out the overseas loan form as per Jo and rich and get the other half to write a letter, signed and dated. Thanks again x

Awww, Shreen..that's rotten luck :sad: :hug:

Sue x

Guest Shreen
Awww, Shreen..that's rotten luck :sad: :hug:

Sue x

I know I was only 13 in 1998 ha ha, so it would have never been possible! never mind! x

My student loan is from 1999, but I've never earned enough to pay it back :embarrassed:

Got pregnant a few months after graduating, and not worked since 2002 (for a few months only at a low wage)

I gave them a ring, they've always been pretty straight with me as to what to do!

• 1 year later...
Guest HereinTaiwan

Hi everyone,

My situation sounds similar. I will let you know the back story, i left the UK in July 2010 for a 12 month career break to come out to live in Taipei with my wife and to sort things out for a reception. Now the 12 months exipred at the end of June 2011. My problem comes is that i failed to inform the SLC about the change in location (As i believed my previosu employer would have told them as i worked for HMRC) so it is now August 2011 now and i have recieved a Declaration form pack in the UK which contains the overseas form to fill out. What do i need to fill in as since my time here my wife and her family have been supporting me financially? also if they back date only 3 months on defaulting payments, does that mean i would have to pay the country's default payment for the months the backdate doesnt cover (which would be 98 UK pounds per month) I really hope someone could shine some light on my problem. Any advice would be great.

thanks,

Dave