Why do some of you UK folk think stuff is more expensive in Oz?

Guest Locksley

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie

We purchase approx 6 books a week in our household... My husband an Australian, is an avid reader along with his collegues and friends.

With Book Depository books being so affordable, we seem to obtain them cheaper than in the UK on many occasions.

Starting your own Book Club is always a good idea.

Guest Locksley
We purchase approx 6 books a week in our household... My husband an Australian, is an avid reader along with his collegues and friends.

With Book Depository books are affordable, we seem to obtain them cheaper than in the UK on many occasions.

Starting your own Book Club is always a good idea.

I didn't say no Aussies read books.

My wife managed a bookstore here for 20 years.

But you can always tell who does or doesn't read whenever you go to someone's house, and frequently find no bookcases and not a book in sight.

If any of you Syndey folk are ever down near Berrima, it's worth stopping in at the Berrima Book Barn.

An entire oregon structured barn filled with books on two levels, they have a cafe also.

Many used books for sale as well as brand new novels and rare books also.

Non Fic and Fiction.

Mind you I hardly know any Aussies who reads books to start with.

Well, you are obviously not mixing with the right sort of Aussies:wink:

Australians are the highest per capita consumers of books in the English speaking world.

I just read the first page of posts...bored now. You move to Australia. Its different. Things cost different amounts. You can't get the same things as in the Uk. Maybe thats cos we're not in the UK??? Get over it ...or go back.

charming :eek:

Guest Locksley

Here's a little gem regarding book prices in Angus and Robertsons and Borders...same company by the way.

Next time you find a book you like in their stores...check the back for the RRP.

If the bookstore barcode stickers covers it, or you can't see the RRP anywhere on the book, ask the sales person what the RRP is.

A&R and Boders frequently sell books above the RRP.

If the RRP is lower than the price sticker the store has on the book...tell them you want it for the correct RRP.

Normally they will give it to you for the RRP and not their marked up price.

I don't know if Dymocks marks their prices up or not.

I do know that you won't find one book cheaper in the shop than you can buy on-line from the Book Depository in Sydney's only Sci-Fi bookstore; The Galaxy Bookshop.

They claim they have to mark up their prices because of the cost of importing Sci-Fi books from the USA and the UK.

Maybe that's true, but some of the prices on their books are freaking outrageous.

One new Sci-fi action novel, a hardback published in the USA was selling for Oz $50.

The BD in the UK had it for Oz $20.

I think it's that £1 = $2 approx?! LOL

$100 for a pair of shoes haha! Sounds expensive.

I think that groceries are maybe a little more expensive but stuff like gas is cheaper so it all balances out. I don't think there's much difference but that's just me. It's subjective and state-dependent!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kevbro

always hard to compare prices, especially when forex rates are like whores draws...

so fix a rate around $2.10 = GBP1.00

a loaf of bread 800gm / premium style...aus $4.60 - tescos @ GBP1.05 max, without specials

Head and shoulders shampoo - Tescos about GBP2.75, or 2 for a fiver..Coles $10.99 ish

A slab of beer - VB (or very bad beer as its locally known) $38.99 for 24 x 330ml tinnies...in Tescos just 2 weeks ago, 45 x 440ml tins for GBP20.00

a pint of decent beer - GBP 3 > 3.50 in a pub, Bended Elbow dishing up fosters = $9.00??

Bananas - 1kg in tescos for a quid or less - australia - depends on whether theres a storm or not, anything from $2.5 > $5.00

Flora Pro-active, almost $9 in Coles - Tescos at GBP3.5, a little cheaper..

Indian food - PRICELESS - every Indian in Oz caters for a bland, lifeless pallet, scorched by burnt bbq's an freezin, tasteless pop, they call beer...

Dont get us wrong, we love Aus - but just as the bad things with the UK grate on your nerves, the sad "she''ll be right" attitude to quality and competetitive pricing is just as bad here..

we are at the mercy of the retailers here, but with less choice, so feel more ripped off than ever..

Suppose it depends on what you want to buy...

Recently i wanted a mid life crisis car - so went on the search for a 05-06 Mazda RX8..

Aus price, between $25 & 35k....

Autotrader.co.uk, between GBP5 &10k max.......

Fuel is cheaper, but the cars use more per 100km / mpg, and you really have to use your car everywhere to get anywhere, so i reckon i spend more on fuel in aus than i did in UK - though i get almost 50% more fuel for the same cost..

But can you imagine the reaction is fuel went up in london by 6-8pence a litre, just because it was the weekend?

Anarchy....

nip & tuck as they say..

views and recommendations for the best indian in Melbourne welcome..

always hard to compare prices, especially when forex rates are like whores draws...

so fix a rate around $2.10 = GBP1.00

Just for the record before you get jumped on,lol the current excange is only approx

1.00GBP = $1.68

I personally have noticed that for the last few months since the rate has been low like this new arrivals obviously find they are getting less for their money so do feel Oz is more expensive. Four years ago the rate was around $2,50 to 1.00GBP, so if someone is brigning a large nest egg with them, thats a major difference when they arive.

Cal x

Guest wingywangwoo
I just read the first page of posts...bored now. You move to Australia. Its different. Things cost different amounts. You can't get the same things as in the Uk. Maybe thats cos we're not in the UK??? Get over it ...or go back.

comments like yours are why some good people on this forum, have to think twice before they post any questions here, for fear of the reply they get!!!!

Lets hope you are not returning to the uk anytime soon, hate to think of the reply you will receive, lets hope pio memeber's will be kinder to you!!

Guest kevbro

good people like facts not fiction - dont they?

trouble is with oz is that you dont always get the facts up front, and by the time you get to live here, its often to late to do much about it..

Guest kevbro

for sure know where the x rate is as i trade forex between au & uk, and hv just come back from 4 weeks over there...

but for the sake of the debate, having an average 10yr rate is putting things in balance as compared with the highs and lows of the trading markets..

we visited au 8 times before coming to live - and $ rate has been as high as almost $3 to a quid, and as low as 2....

the current position is reflecting the GFC - but its false and killing the Australian tourist market and export ability - which then affects job and the countries prosperity..

all said and done, its a great, safe place, without chaves and leeches from other countries bleeding them dry...

Guest Jen and Rob

Something that might be a factor in the future - hyper-inflation is predicted for many parts of Europe as one of the only ways that countries can cope with unprecedented levels of debt

Recently i wanted a mid life crisis car - so went on the search for a 05-06 Mazda RX8..

Aus price, between $25 & 35k....

Autotrader.co.uk, between GBP5 &10k max.......

Once you've got over the mid-life crisis and the missus insists that you get rid of the 2+2 coupe, you will at least get most of your money back in Australia when you sell it!:wubclub:

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Cheers.

Archived