7 months in melbourne

Guest ashmalog

Guest ashmalog

Hi all

Thought it was about time for an update. Where is the time going? I cannot believe we have been here 7 months already and experiencing our 3rd season - winter - not bad but too much rain!!!

Well where do i start - we love it!! The boys are settled in school and kindergarten, youngest had about 6 weeks of crying when we dropped him off at kinder but since then we have smiles constantly and he always says 'do i have school today (in his aussie twang that he has developed!!) The eldest is in high school and enjoying it and making friends but has developed such an attitude (hormones galore!)

The kids have started to have a better social life than us now!!

We have just signed another lease and are staying put for the next 12mths.

We, as a family, don't seem to have experienced any lows yet but i am sure they will come. I find having my friends so far away very difficult and it is good to talk but when it is you calling the uk all the time you start to think if they have the 'out of sight out of mind' attitude. not just friends but family also!! We have made some fantastic friends during the time we have been here, old poms and new poms, we are like 1 big family!! I have even made a couple of aussie friends who find my sense of humour strange to say the least!!

work is going well and i have finally managed to find the right place to nurse after being in 2 other clinics. It is very different to the UK and the whole medicare billing thing is bizarre, so much to get ur head around, still i think i am there now. My nursing skills are having a big impact on the clinics and the role of the practice nurse (for the better) but it took them time too and australian's don't do change very well.

I have been to brisbane to visit my friend and her family and although it is nice and green i really felt i was 'home' when i landed in melbourne, that was such a nice feeling. Melbourne has its ups and downs like the irratic weather but it feels great and certainly a place where i think the boys can grow up learning a bit of everything, although sport is the only thing they care about at the moment so they are in the right place.

my uk friend asked me the other day if our aussie life would be short term, all i could answer was 'it was the right thing for us to do and we love our new life, i cant see me living back in the uk but i will holiday there', but to be honest i don't feel i want to spend $5000 on a trip back just to see family and friends - does that sound harsh? I would rather experience more of this fabulous country and spend my hard earned money on beautiful holidays here.

We took a massive loss on the house to come here and our money is still tied up in the uk earning no interest so i cant wait for the exchange rate to improve and then we can look at bringing that over for a house deposit. If we hadn't took the loss we could still have been there - our next door neighbour has just sold and they were on at the same time as us.

I am grateful for the chance we have been given and the opportunity to give our family a new lease of life, things are so much better for us as a family now.

I know it is not the life for some and people struggle with leaving family and friends but we love our new life.

good luck to everyone on the rollercoaster ride - it is fun once the dust settles!

regards

Bonnie

Hey Bonnie, thanks for the update. Good to hear things are still going good for you and your family.

Weve just made the 8 months mark over here and despite the lows and down right ridiculous, we're still seeing this as a long term thing - made even better by the arrival of our PR visa:biggrin:. im not sure i want to go back yet. aside from family and friends, we havent got a life to go back to. Im not sure i could bare restarting again - esp in the uk. We're hoping to move soon, when we can finally agree on where we want to go! lol

I totally agree with you about the nursing. where i am at the moment, i feel so deskilled its making me frustrated and im not able to work to my full capacity as its not my place in my current position. As you say, we can bring so much to this country with our clinical skills and knowledge base. Im hoping to move forward into something i enjoy in the near future.

Have you made it to any footy games yet? We often go to the footy with adam (5 yrs old) and now rugby, if you every want to meet up give us a shout.

Guest ashmalog

Hi Kelly

What area of nursing are you in? ru div 1 over here? I am in practice nursing and i am now able to use all my skills effectively but it has taken me 6months to make the docs realise i do know what i am talking about!!

we go to the footy regular, im a carlton fan, hubby a bulldogs, eldest is collingwood and the other 2 are hawthorn!! a mixed mag but makes it fun in the house. would love to go to a game, i love the atmosphere and the fact you can sit next to the opposing team supporters without being abused!

where are you looking to settle? glad to hear about ur PR and the long term vision you have. would love to meet up, i'll pm you.

bonnie

Guest siamsusie

Bonnie, thank god for some positivity this afternoon! A good intelligent post... you really are an inspiration.. you are not a positive troll by any chance (joke ) love Susie x

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Bloody hell! Where have you been?????:biglaugh:

Hi mr luvpants, you still in the UK? I've been everywhere including a spell in Melbourne and Adelaide.

Now saving up AGAIN!!!:biglaugh:

Hi all

Thought it was about time for an update. Where is the time going? I cannot believe we have been here 7 months already and experiencing our 3rd season - winter - not bad but too much rain!!!

Well where do i start - we love it!! The boys are settled in school and kindergarten, youngest had about 6 weeks of crying when we dropped him off at kinder but since then we have smiles constantly and he always says 'do i have school today (in his aussie twang that he has developed!!) The eldest is in high school and enjoying it and making friends but has developed such an attitude (hormones galore!)

The kids have started to have a better social life than us now!!

We have just signed another lease and are staying put for the next 12mths.

We, as a family, don't seem to have experienced any lows yet but i am sure they will come. I find having my friends so far away very difficult and it is good to talk but when it is you calling the uk all the time you start to think if they have the 'out of sight out of mind' attitude. not just friends but family also!! We have made some fantastic friends during the time we have been here, old poms and new poms, we are like 1 big family!! I have even made a couple of aussie friends who find my sense of humour strange to say the least!!

work is going well and i have finally managed to find the right place to nurse after being in 2 other clinics. It is very different to the UK and the whole medicare billing thing is bizarre, so much to get ur head around, still i think i am there now. My nursing skills are having a big impact on the clinics and the role of the practice nurse (for the better) but it took them time too and australian's don't do change very well.

I have been to brisbane to visit my friend and her family and although it is nice and green i really felt i was 'home' when i landed in melbourne, that was such a nice feeling. Melbourne has its ups and downs like the irratic weather but it feels great and certainly a place where i think the boys can grow up learning a bit of everything, although sport is the only thing they care about at the moment so they are in the right place.

my uk friend asked me the other day if our aussie life would be short term, all i could answer was 'it was the right thing for us to do and we love our new life, i cant see me living back in the uk but i will holiday there', but to be honest i don't feel i want to spend $5000 on a trip back just to see family and friends - does that sound harsh? I would rather experience more of this fabulous country and spend my hard earned money on beautiful holidays here.

We took a massive loss on the house to come here and our money is still tied up in the uk earning no interest so i cant wait for the exchange rate to improve and then we can look at bringing that over for a house deposit. If we hadn't took the loss we could still have been there - our next door neighbour has just sold and they were on at the same time as us.

I am grateful for the chance we have been given and the opportunity to give our family a new lease of life, things are so much better for us as a family now.

I know it is not the life for some and people struggle with leaving family and friends but we love our new life.

good luck to everyone on the rollercoaster ride - it is fun once the dust settles!

regards

Bonnie

Glad you're going well Bonnie and family. Hopefully you have picked the right football team....:laugh:oh just saw some Hawthorn supporters, that's okay then !

Hi Kelly

What area of nursing are you in? ru div 1 over here? I am in practice nursing and i am now able to use all my skills effectively but it has taken me 6months to make the docs realise i do know what i am talking about!!

we go to the footy regular, im a carlton fan, hubby a bulldogs, eldest is collingwood and the other 2 are hawthorn!! a mixed mag but makes it fun in the house. would love to go to a game, i love the atmosphere and the fact you can sit next to the opposing team supporters without being abused!

where are you looking to settle? glad to hear about ur PR and the long term vision you have. would love to meet up, i'll pm you.

bonnie

Hi. yeah im Div 1/ RMN....ive been working in addiction services for about 5 yrs - in the uk and now here in the private sector. dont get me wrong, its not all bad, just some of the practices and im fed up with picking up the pieces due to the fact the aussie nurses arent trained to do the job - not their fault, but some appear happy not to know anything, which isnt good enough for me -- drives me mad!! Our VMOs are probably the only ones who value us pom nurses. about 50% of our team are from the uk. One of our drs is the carlton dr.

we're a hawthorn and collingwood household. You going to the game on monday at the mcg?

Hoping to move down to endeavour hills way - north side in the green bit. lol. Where are you?

speak soon.x

Guest siamsusie
I will definitely come over one weekend when they are playing in Tasmania, it is on my 'do do' list for sure.

Please do Olly... I know you love a bottle or two:laugh: so you are welcome to stay young lady:hug:

Guest ashmalog
Hi. just some of the practices and im fed up with picking up the pieces due to the fact the aussie nurses arent trained to do the job - not their fault, but some appear happy not to know anything, which isnt good enough for me -- drives me mad!!

I know what you mean. I get so fed up with their 'yes doctor' mentality. whatever the doc asks they do, they never challenge or question. I had a colleague that gave the wrong dose of vaccine to a child cos 'the doc said'. i will be glad when the indemnity rules change and aussie nurses have to start taking responsibility for their own actions.

as for their record keeping - that is non existent!! It has took me 6 months to get my head around it but they hate me cos i am implementing change and aussies don't like change.

fun hey!

Guest juliemtaylor

Bonnie I echo your sentiments about being here, and you know I have only been here for just over 3 months now.

As for missing friends and family, we do our best on Skype, but I can't see that I would want to go back anytime soon as we are hoping to explore our new country too!

There are odd things we find different, but you and the other poms I have met through PIO have been fab! We had never been here before we landed and knew here was the right place straight away. Like you though our house sold with a massive dip and our deposit is stuck in the UK for now..

Take care and hope to see you again,

Julie xxx

Hi mr luvpants, you still in the UK? I've been everywhere including a spell in Melbourne and Adelaide.

Now saving up AGAIN!!!:biglaugh:

yep we are flying out for good on the 25th December. I also am flying out this thursday as I have got pass the first stage of the queensland police recruitment process and have got the next set of tests to do.

JOHN

Guest TheArmChairDetective
yep we are flying out for good on the 25th December. I also am flying out this thursday as I have got pass the first stage of the queensland police recruitment process and have got the next set of tests to do.

JOHN

Good Luck and Best wishes to you John.

I have me fingers crossed for you.

Change yer Pants before you go though:biggrin:

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Bonnie

Just wanted to say thanks for a nice and positive post, I have read a few negative post's on here and at times they do make you question yourself until you realise one mans/womans poison can be another man/womans passion. Nothing ever said or heard could ever stop me trying for myself but is a far better feeling to read of happy outcomes.

Helps keep the fire's burning and the wheels turning :wink:

Thanks again

All the best

Kev

Guest ashmalog

Been here 8mths now and nothing changes!! I agree with the pther posts can be poison or passion, I take it at face value. When I here people going back to the uk I just say 'why?' and 9 out of 10 times it is due to missing family.

My mates are my family, new and old :) I love my time

here with friends, after all we are all in the same boat!!

Archived