Jump to content
WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

Visa granted Dec 08... Still in UK... What would you do?

Recommended Posts

Ok. We got our visa granted Dec 08 then the UK economy went down the toilet. Hubby (works in construction) was made redundant and got new job. Company went under, he got a new job again. Company went under, he got a new job with a rolling contract.

 

His contract is up for renewal for 18 month term depending on the company's financial status next month. It may be the case that we are forced to make a decision soon if they don't get funding to continue with their current project and we will likely head to Oz. If he IS offered the contract for 18 months it means we are committed to being here in the UK and delaying our plans again although it would be a great opportunity as he would be Project Manager on the new contract...

 

Main issues are like everyone else at the moment. We can't sell the house. It has dropped in value and then slightly risen again but none of the houses round here are selling at all at present. Some have been on and off the market in our street for the last 2 years.

 

We have no savings left. We nearly lost the house when hubby was paid off time and again. We were all set to head to Oz with nothing. That seemed totally crazy but it was either stay here with nothing or just go for it. Then the new job miraculously sprung up and changed everything. Now it seems mad to NOT take the new contract as we still have nothing to back us up and can't sell the house...

 

We have a toddler and really want to get to Oz before he starts school which would be possible in any respect. I am wary about taking him to the other side of the world (we don't really have much family support but to go to Oz and have none when we have no money or anything just now seems crazy).

 

Anyway, I only really meant to come on here and get some opinions on the situation as there must be others in the same boat. I am just scared that we stay here and are in the same position (or worse) in 18 months time. I just don't know what to do.

 

Is anyone else still here when they have had their visa's for years??? Think we are just delaying the inevitable... :arghh:


:spinny:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Tomlinsons

Hi there,

our visas were granted Jan 09 so just after you, we also have had lots of problems, the worst being my dad passing away in January and mum obviously still grieving.

Anyway we have decided to rent the house out, eldest son staying with mum for 1 year to finish his engineering course. Dog going to a friend, Pickfords booked for 25th and we are off in August.

Feeling very guilty leaving mum but if we dont go this year we will not go.

Sometimes just have to bite the bullet I guess.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I and my OH havent have our visas granted yet (we are only in the early stages of the process) and having missed the boat twice through other methods and now being placed on the holding pile with loads of others, I would take any opportunity to go!

 

We are in a similar situation in that houses arent selling quickly around here, so we would consider renting it out (I dont know if this is an option for you?)- as long as the rent covers the mortgage, you always have that asset to sell in the future when markets pick up in the UK again.

 

I say life really is for living and as a family you can do that more in Oz. All is not necessarily better in Australia, but as a police officer here, and wanting to join over there, I say it can be the same cr*p day in, day out, and if the only thing that's better is the weather, then that's still an inprovement!

 

I agree with Tomlinsons, sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet. And if we ever get the opportunity, we will be gone in a New York Minute! It won't be easy to say goodbye to everyone we know and love, and settling in can sometimes be an issue, but I say just go for it! Worse case scenario- you don't like it, then you move back (another reason to hold on to the house if you can)!

 

I hope this helps somewhat

Ben


Chef (wife) 176 Lodged 7/6/11 CO assigned 30/06/11 Medicals & PC's Requested 6/07/11 PC's sent 13/07/11 Medicals 26/07/11. completed 25/11/11 (following baby) Submitted 02/12/11 VISA GRANTED 12/12/11!! Flights booked 21/05/12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is easy for others to say go for it as it is not there call. We are waiting 18 month but this is out of choice as we do have the finances & in the south of england houses are selling well.I personaly think in 18 months the exchange rate will be over $2.00 if not more, houses will of increased all over uk,houses in oz gone down. Your husband if job comes off will have a good income for 18 month so time to put money away so you can have the start in oz we all want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok. We got our visa granted Dec 08 then the UK economy went down the toilet. Hubby (works in construction) was made redundant and got new job. Company went under, he got a new job again. Company went under, he got a new job with a rolling contract.

 

His contract is up for renewal for 18 month term depending on the company's financial status next month. It may be the case that we are forced to make a decision soon if they don't get funding to continue with their current project and we will likely head to Oz. If he IS offered the contract for 18 months it means we are committed to being here in the UK and delaying our plans again although it would be a great opportunity as he would be Project Manager on the new contract...

 

Main issues are like everyone else at the moment. We can't sell the house. It has dropped in value and then slightly risen again but none of the houses round here are selling at all at present. Some have been on and off the market in our street for the last 2 years.

 

We have no savings left. We nearly lost the house when hubby was paid off time and again. We were all set to head to Oz with nothing. That seemed totally crazy but it was either stay here with nothing or just go for it. Then the new job miraculously sprung up and changed everything. Now it seems mad to NOT take the new contract as we still have nothing to back us up and can't sell the house...

 

We have a toddler and really want to get to Oz before he starts school which would be possible in any respect. I am wary about taking him to the other side of the world (we don't really have much family support but to go to Oz and have none when we have no money or anything just now seems crazy).

 

Anyway, I only really meant to come on here and get some opinions on the situation as there must be others in the same boat. I am just scared that we stay here and are in the same position (or worse) in 18 months time. I just don't know what to do.

 

Is anyone else still here when they have had their visa's for years??? Think we are just delaying the inevitable... :arghh:

Us june 08,various factors have kept us here,hse not selling,long illness/death in the family etc so still here,i WAS wavering over wether to go,but now thatchers love child is in were off!

It will get worse here no matter what all the tory boys/girls on here say,im offski ASAP!


"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

 

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume you have been over and validated your visa? and if so you have a five year window to move to Oz and the Visa still be valid. If you husband does get the 18 month contract you could try to save hard for a year and then make plans to go?


SS Vic recieved after appeal 8/10/2009, 176 Visa application 9/10/09, OH Electrician, Nov 2010 moved to Cat 2, 9th Nov Case Officer, extra information requested, medicals 18th Jan, medicals finalised now just the police checks!!! We got our visa !!! Yey soooo happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We came over in Nov 09. The push for us was that DH got made redundant and was unable to find another job in the UK, I went back to work after my mat leave but wasn't earning enough to support us as a family. We sold the flat for 50k less than what we originally had it on the market for but we had to sell so we had some money to come with. When we got here it was really hard to find work. We had to live off our savings and everything isn't cheaper over here. I eventually got a job at the beginning of March and DH got a job mid-April. It was really hard going and at times still is, our son is in day care but they have called us a few times to collect him as he has not been well and this is hard when working, we have no family support and no one we know well enough who could help out.

 

What I would suggest you try and get jobs lined up before you come over if you have no savings as we struggled with some small savings. Also the exchange rate is rubbish so any money you do have won't convert to much.

 

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya

 

We too have our visa and are still here. We've had our visa since July 09 and have been over to validate. But situations have not been on our side either!! We are still going, but when the time is right, and if the time doesn't ever "Feel" quite right, then we will just have to bite the bullet and go!

 

Don't worry too much about schools and having a little one because they start full time school later in Oz anyway. If you do delay your 18 months, it could work better for you if you're planning to work. As I've read more than a few people saying how expensive child care is.

 

Lisa

X


Steve 47, Lisa 39, 2 Kids 16 + 11

PR VISA GRANTED July 09 , Validated Visa Nov 09. Living in Adelaide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit that in your situation I would take the 18 months job and save like hell. It seems ages but that way you'll be set up financially which will take a huge burden off yourselves. when you arrive - settling in is hard enough (for most) without having financial worries too. The number of times you read about people who love Oz but are watching their money from moving and setting up costs go down the drain and that is before actually starting to live. We got our visa in Jan 09 and validated (have you done that yet?) but because of schooling and other issues we won't probably go until 2012. Seems ages off, but we want things to be as smooth as possible and, well, Oz will still be there in 2 years time. Ref schooling, school proper doesn't start until 6 years in Oz (with Kindie before this) so you've got time on your side if your little one is still a toddler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest celtlink

big gamble, but really not sure what to do for the best.....so if you find a solution to it all let us know/..:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for the replies. I realised I have posted this kind of question before so I guess I am going round in circles with the decision to go!

 

On one hand I am worried that the UK is in such a bad way that the pound will weaken even further, there will be such major cuts in everything and rises in tax/NI etc that everything is going to get worse over the next year or so....

 

On the other hand, I am terrified to go now when the exchange rate is awful and we have no savings. If we rent the house out then the mortgage rates go up and we are struggling in Oz, I will have a nervous breakdown.

 

The sensible option would appear to be, hope for the 18 month contract and like a few have said, take it and save like mad. Maybe houses will start to sell and the pound will strengthen.... Yikes. What if what if what if maybe maybe maybe...

 

:goofy:

 

I think Mr WeGottaGetOut just wants to go now but on arrival he would be like "So.... did you get everything shipped/get us jobs/rent us a place to live/get the car over???" and go "Whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" if I said "well... nope!". I think if he really looks into how expensive it actually is to get there with all our stuff in the first place, he might be happier to stay here and save for a bit longer....

 

Yikes. Hope he doesn't read this! I am just trying so hard to make a sensible and well adjusted decision. Why is this so difficult!!! :arghh:

 

Thanks to you all for the advice though. Really appreciated.


:spinny:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest sanda

Rent your house out and go! You can leave it until the visa is about to expire. I'm just off next week. Have just as many concerns over money, but also worried about age the older you are the harder it will be to get jobs. But I honestly believe even though we are going blind it will be better for my little one in the long term. Yes it is a shame it's harder than ever financially, but I know I would hate to spend my life regretting it. Losing the family is killing me right now, more than money but I still believe we can make it work and give my son a better life. Fingers crossed I'm right.

 

I wish you luck whatever you decide.

 

sarah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×