Shipping quotes

Guest HarveyMushman

Guest HarveyMushman

I've been having a read through all the shipping quote threads on here, and people are talking of packing up there 3/4 bedroom house, taking up most of a 20ft container etc.

My partner is Australian and has most of the stuff we'd need already over there or we'll just buy it. to be honest we will be taking very little (a couple of TV's 27" & 37", perhaps 3 or 4 boxes of clothes and shoes, a hifi amp, 2 table top lamps, couple of boxes of paperwork, a kitchenaid mixer, some cookbooks, some pots and pans, mac mini, maybe a monitor 19") no furniture at all and a few other odds and ends we might find.

I doub't well be taking up an entire 20ft container....my question is do they calculate on the cubic feet? We're not likely to see quotes of £3500 plus + insurance?

Guest brummie39

I beleive they do quote on cubic feet. I think you share a container, and you only pay for the space you use. Im not 100%, but have heard this, so best to ring around and just ask.

Sorry not much help, but I think that is the case.

Good luck.

Guest Calie

Shipping companies offer a service called groupage where you buy space in a container. They usually quote on cubic meters this is how pallets are moved around the world. A pallet is usually 1m x 1m and the weight limit per cube is 1 ton so you don't have to worry about weight. You can also get half a container, how do I know all this? My other half used to work for a freight forwarding company.

Cal.

Guest HarveyMushman

Thanks guys info is much appreciated glad to know our costs for moving stuff should be significantly cheaper than others are being quoted.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jason7167

hi we have recently moved and can confirm we shared our container and only paid for a part load. we were lucky though as we caught the ship that was leaving a week later so only had to wait six weeks for it to arrive, then three weeks to go through customs and be delivered. our friends that did a part load waited four months as they wont send out part load containers. insure it well because even though it was professionally packed damage did occur especially to our tv.

good luck

Archived