Guest smeetab

no joint bank account-will be a problem??

Guest smeetab

hi there,

my partner and i are going to apply for a defacto visa soon and we dont have a joint bank account, we're planning on opening one up asap but it will be opened like a month before we apply-will this be a problem?

also we both live together but we live with his parents so we dont pay bills etc, we're gonna get the parents to put that in their declaration would that be enough?

we have evidence mostly in photos and old texts, we also took a trip to nz together but im worried that evidence wise we dont have enough. Could anyone else suggest what other evidence would be good to include? ive been digging through mountains of bank statements trying to find something where ive bought or paid for something for him. He's also written a thesis and have put me in the aknowlegement- would this be helpful to include?

i have photos of when i met his grandmother and cousin (both from abroad) but there is no date on the photos.

im really worried about our lack of evidence! :(

any help would be fantastic

If you are unsure of your evidence, I'd suggest speaking to an agent..

Your indiviudal bank statements for each month of the 12 months preceeding your application would confirm you as both being at the same address.

How about greeting cards addressed to the both of? (even better if you've kept a post marked envelope). Are you on each other's car insurance?

Photos and text messages don't count for much. Opening a joint account would help, but as you say opening it a month before the application may look like you did it for that reason.

Great advice Peach, also to add that scouring bank statements is good if you can prove the 'thing' you bought was for him or the home etc otherwise it shows nothing other than you bought x from x store! Do you transfer money betwen your accounts? That would be helpful.

As for the joint bank account, not a major issue IF you have the other evidence to show your relationship. Hubby & I still dont have a joint account and it was not a problem with the visa.

Have you claimed any benefits, student grants, loans etc where by you would have to declare partners income or show next of kin?

Any offical letter, from uni, benefits, DVLA, employer etc to either of you going to the same address over a period show you both lived in the same house.

05/09/09 Mailed my 309/100 app 17/09/09 CO 05/10/09 Meds 08/10/09 PCC 09/10/09 Xray, 18/12/09 Extra Medical report recieved by CO 14/01/10 Hep B test, 09/02/10 New CO aggh 18/02/10 309, Baby visa needed now for our move in Sept 2011

If you are working, you normally give 'next of kin' contact details in case something happens - do you have anything like this your work can give you a copy of? Also if you have a company/work pension you normally have to give beneficiary details to them too. Get the gandmother and cousin to do a stat dec too to say that you met them. Officially it wont count as they are not Australian but it is evidence that some of the family met you. Did you take photos when you met them? ask for copies too. Good luck

I think the main thing you seem to be missing is official type letters. Photos and stat declarations from relatives might be good supplementary information but on their own ... well I think you are right to be worried that you don't have enough.

If you have been living at the same address you should have been on the electoral register and also you must have both received official letters to the same address, even if they were not joint letters. This is the type of thing you need to be digging out, not bank statements showing you bought something for somebody, buying a gift does not make one defacto, but bank statements proving you lived at the same address might.

Don't worry about not having a joint bank account, I agree with the other poster that getting one now just looks set up. Many married couples do not have joint bank accounts, me and my husband do not have one for example. Also we are staying with friends at the moment who applied for a partner visa as unmarried couple and they did not have a joint bank account but got their visa. I wouldn't say it was no questions asked though, they had a lot of trouble getting it.

Hi Smeetab!

By now you probably have been granted the visa, but im in the exact situation as you! Did you get your De Facto visa, how long were you together before you applied? Also did the joint bank account work?

Please would you give me as much information as possible as Im desperate

Thanks!

hi there,

my partner and i are going to apply for a defacto visa soon and we dont have a joint bank account, we're planning on opening one up asap but it will be opened like a month before we apply-will this be a problem?

also we both live together but we live with his parents so we dont pay bills etc, we're gonna get the parents to put that in their declaration would that be enough?

we have evidence mostly in photos and old texts, we also took a trip to nz together but im worried that evidence wise we dont have enough. Could anyone else suggest what other evidence would be good to include? ive been digging through mountains of bank statements trying to find something where ive bought or paid for something for him. He's also written a thesis and have put me in the aknowlegement- would this be helpful to include?

i have photos of when i met his grandmother and cousin (both from abroad) but there is no date on the photos.

im really worried about our lack of evidence! :(

any help would be fantastic

Hi Smeetab, Am in same situation, and i understand you got your visa granted congrats! Just our of curiosity, which evidence did you have when you provided your application, may act as a guide for when i collect all my evidence together. Thanks

Natalie