Would welfare worker be capped and ceased or not??

Guest langhoatu81

Guest langhoatu81

Anyone has any idea the possibility that welfare worker would be capped and ceased as rumour about cooks and hairdressers?

• 2 months later...
Guest Dave,claire,mia

Hi

I applied as a welfare worker and lodged in May 08, we were due to get issued the visa then nothing, so know how you are feeling. Fingers crossed though!!

• 1 month later...
Guest beersheer

I also applied permanent residency 885, 7 bands each...as welfare worker on 15may10...

Cant find a job as I dont have residency...

Can I apply again if supporting SMPs are released without any experience....

i mean why would a state sponsor some1 without any experience..?

I was under impression that there was a very bleak chance for cap and kill bill to be reintroduced but after reading some of the posts I think there's going to be a bang, but dnt know how much welfare workers are in trouble as cooks and hairdressers are the ones in the limelight but still welfare workers stands 9th on the DIAC's list of unwanted occupations....

Guest garynhelen

We applied as welfare worker too in June 09 and are really hoping to be on WA SMP, but it may be the case that we'll have to get a new skills assessment done as Youth worker or community worker if they are on the list instead of welfare worker. Hope this wont be the case though as that would mean starting all over again with the whole process, but I guess it'd be worth it to move from cat 4 to cat 2!

We'll have to wait and see.

Guest jilkfree1978

My wife is also a welfare worker and applied august 2009.

Where is this list of diacs unwanted occupations? is there a webpage?

I also applied permanent residency 885, 7 bands each...as welfare worker on 15may10...

Cant find a job as I dont have residency...

Can I apply again if supporting SMPs are released without any experience....

i mean why would a state sponsor some1 without any experience..?

I was under impression that there was a very bleak chance for cap and kill bill to be reintroduced but after reading some of the posts I think there's going to be a bang, but dnt know how much welfare workers are in trouble as cooks and hairdressers are the ones in the limelight but still welfare workers stands 9th on the DIAC's list of unwanted occupations....

Guest Gollywobbler
We applied as welfare worker too in June 09 and are really hoping to be on WA SMP, but it may be the case that we'll have to get a new skills assessment done as Youth worker or community worker if they are on the list instead of welfare worker. Hope this wont be the case though as that would mean starting all over again with the whole process, but I guess it'd be worth it to move from cat 4 to cat 2!

We'll have to wait and see.

Hi Garynhelen

I stress - stress - that I am doing nothing more than guessing.

Following Kellyjamie's search for a job + visa offer for a Youth Worker, it does appear that there are plenty of jobs but they are in areas which are either Regional Oz (eg Esperance in WA and a new one in regional VIC) or the jobs are in metropolitan Law Growth areas, such as the ares around Ipswich and Logan, near Brisbane.

Most of the prospective employers seem to be either State Governments or local governments in the relevant areas. They are saddled with public-sector workers' unions restrictions about the people that they can employ.

In order to get a migrant, they have to offer the job on a fixed-term contract to start with, which means offering the migrant a 457 visa to start with (unless the area is so remote that there is no reasonable possibility of convincing an Aussie to go there at all and equally no realistic possibility of getting a migrant to go there either without immediate PR via an RSMS visa, I guess.)

The only way that the local and State Government employers can get round the practical problems described above is if the GSM visa program steps in to help out, I suspect.

I can't see any particular problems with putting Welfare Workers of all types on to the SMP lists of occupations but confining the visas to the subclass 475 Regional State sponsored visa to start with. I suspect that keeping the migrants out of the main cities will satisfy the Government's stated wish to prop up the Regions and it would have no immediate impact on the main urban population centres, it seems to me.

That said, the previous Minister seems to have been obsessed with the idea of clobbering the people who have been studying for this group of occupations in Australia. I don't think that Evans himself was at all concerned about the plights of the young people in Esperance, Ballarat, Ipswich or Logan to name but 4 places where the young people desperately need some experienced adults who can help them. The suicide rate amongst indigenous Aboriginal people aged between 15 and 30 is much higher in Australia than anywhere else in the world but I suspect that Evans was not bothered about that either. He's been blethering that he wants "all" of Australia's youngsters to be trained up in order to enable them to obtain highly skilled jobs. How can the dead ones do that?

As usual, there is zero logic in Government's policies and that is just as true in Australia as it is in the UK.

Cheers

Gill

Guest langhoatu81

Hi all

I hope you guys who are as welfare worker can have a job in this field. That is probably more secured in the future in case cap and cease happens. welfare jobs are not that hard and as long as you have working visa there are plenty of jobs out there for you such as aged care, disability work, youth work and community services. there are also agencies who employ you as relief staff as well ( tried randstad, oncall, edmon, dassi). it is a good start to have some experience. I guess i have been lucky as during this course of bridging visa, i have been working for state government of victoria as welfare worker. so i hope you will be more confident to apply for jobs with them. as local or state government still accepts employment even you don't have PR as long as you have working right in your visa. Hope you find it useful.

Guest beersheer
My wife is also a welfare worker and applied august 2009.

Where is this list of diacs unwanted occupations? is there a webpage?

In the submission that DIAC made to the APH when they were accepting submissions from students, and other concerned authorities regarding cap n kill bill, DIAC mentioned 10 occupations which were according to them, most abused by the international students to obtain PR.

Cooks topped the list(I mean total number of applications made for PR and in limbo till 31st may 2010 or 30th jun2010) with some 18000+ applications in the queue followed by accountants and then hairdressers. Welfare worker was at 9th position with some 3000+ applications.

There whole idea was to show that the maximum number/percentage of applications made for PR were from the these 10 occupations only out of 400 occupations then.

So IMO these occupations are screwed and so is me...:Randy-git:

Living in sydney for last 6 years and and now cap n screw...

Guest beersheer
Hi all

I hope you guys who are as welfare worker can have a job in this field. That is probably more secured in the future in case cap and cease happens. welfare jobs are not that hard and as long as you have working visa there are plenty of jobs out there for you such as aged care, disability work, youth work and community services. there are also agencies who employ you as relief staff as well ( tried randstad, oncall, edmon, dassi). it is a good start to have some experience. I guess i have been lucky as during this course of bridging visa, i have been working for state government of victoria as welfare worker. so i hope you will be more confident to apply for jobs with them. as local or state government still accepts employment even you don't have PR as long as you have working right in your visa. Hope you find it useful.

Hi langhoatu81

Did the government sponsor you...?

• 7 months later...

hey,

I'm also applied as a welfare worker?can you please let me know what was the visa subclass did you applied?i applied last year feb!did you had any employ sponsorship or anythin?was that the PR you got?thanks.

Archived