Been here 5 months. Honeymoon is over...

BuddysMum

This update has been a long time coming.

We LOVE it here. We still keep telling each other "we live here".

True, the inevitable drudge has set in. We have to work and do all the stuff we always had to do. But it is lovely to be near family for the first time ever for both of us, it's wonderful to see Ben, our son, happy at school again and enjoying making new friends with no bullying, and it's lovely to be warm most of the time.

The summer was blisteringly hot. They tell us it was a cooler one than normal, but it still seemed to be very hot after the snow at Christmas. It was also VERY humid, which is the norm here. About 95-99% most of the time. Daytime temperatures were up to about 35C most days which was just too much with the humidity. We had windows open and fans going night and day. Sometimes we used the aircon, but it's expensive and we want to acclimatise as quickly as possible so felt we should use it sparingly.

Now, it is winter and it DOES get cold at night. Our lounge is a very chilly 15C when we get up (I know - but it really does feel cold!). Daytime is generally very pleasant at about 25C.

Steve now has a 2 month contract with the huge power station which we hope will be extended. He is still in IT but here he has to wear a uniform which includes a hard hat, steel toe-caps and ear defenders!!! I just love the tradies' uniforms here. It seems to bring a real sense of pride and respect to what would be considered "working class" in UK. The industry standard is for a 7am start, finishing at 4pm. Taking a bit of getting used to.

I am doing a course to enable me to work as a carer in an old peoples' home. Don't get me started on that! My work placement (unpaid) is 6am to 2 pm!!!!

Ben is very happy at school and is continuing his sax lessons, as well as joining Boys Brigade which is great fun.

Buddy, our dog - a cocker spaniel, has coped well. We have to have him clipped to cope with the heat which is a real shame. But his needs come before my preferences. In summer we couldn't walk him in the daytime, but we can now when we have time. So he has put on a bit of weight but the vet reckons he is in perfect condition. He has not yet found any snakes - nor have we! He loves to swim from the dog friendly beach about 30 mins drive from here.

We have moved from the very small temporary rental to a ridiculously large one in anticipation of a long visit from Steve's parents although that has now been deferred to next March. We have very little hope of ever finding a place to buy that is this big in our price range. The pool idea didn't last long, I am afraid. But it is on the wish list. Still the Coral sea is beautifully warm....sigh.

Some things cost a lot more over here (furniture, linen etc) and we have no Ikea up here. I would love to see Argos here too!

But some things are much cheaper or the same price but much better quality. Thinking especially of food; meat and fruit particularly.

Summer here is wet, hot and humid with more biting mozzies than you could possibly imagine. They adore me!

Winter here is dry, warm and a bit like UK summer!! Wonderful.

When I say here...I don't mean all of Australia. I mean Central Queensland coast. Inland is cold, south is cold, north is hot.

I have a few photos. Just not sure how to post them on this forum.

Guest guest17301

Great post. Pleased you're happy. Sounds pretty much like my experience, enjoy the next 5 months!

Thank you for an excellent,positive post,it sounds like you have settled well and are enjoying your new life in Australia,please keep us informed about how things are going for you,your experiences could be

very valuable for people still thinking about making the move.

Well done so far,and again thanks for a positive,non whinging post.

Cheers

J

Thank you for an excellent,positive post,it sounds like you have settled well and are enjoying your new life in Australia,please keep us informed about how things are going for you,your experiences could be

very valuable for people still thinking about making the move.

Well done so far,and again thanks for a positive,non whinging post.

Cheers

J

I NEVER whinge!!!:laugh:

• 2 months later...
Guest lutonmatt

is good to hear

sorry to bring back a old post up

but if i do make the up to oz i will be wanting to come to gladstone or rockhampton

seen a few jobs around both areas and some nice places for me by the sea

would you say its short weather all year round there or does it get a bit colder for that in the winter time

am hoping for a nice place by the sea for some good surfing

We have been in shorts and t-shirts all winter, but maybe a sweater and rug at night when the sun goes down.

However, locals are in hats, scarves, ugg boots, the lot. I think we will find it cooler next winter.

Even this year there have been nights when we have felt VERY cold. Last night, for instance it was down to 8C in our garden and OH said he could see his breath. It felt very cold indeed.

Rockhampton tends to be about 1C higher temp than Gladstone as we are near the coast here and get some lovely cooling breezes. Rocky doesn't at all! It's in a "bowl" and gets incredibly hot.

I think there are probably some nice areas in Rocky. I love Yeppoon and Emu Park, but it's a bit of a drive to work. The shops are better up there - it's where we go to buy furniture etc. But I LOVE Gladstone.

It's a small city and you quickly get to know people. They have all been very friendly and lots of them say it's a great place to raise a family, but it doesn't have a great social scene. We didn't want that, and we wanted to be near our family, so it suits up perfectly. But some would prefer a big city.

There is a lot of industry here and it's about to get much bigger with new industry moving in if all goes to plan. There are pros and cons to that. The industries do a huge amount for the city (I think probably to "keep us sweet") but we do all benefit from it, and of course, we have jobs.

Anything else, just get in touch.

You might need to check out the surf. I know we don't have any in Gladstone. There is some good surf about an hour away (south). Not sure about Rocky.

Archived