Favourite rubbish Aussie names for things-give us yer best shot MATE!

Guest guest36762

couple more:

DOONA (duvet-I suspect it initially started in oz as duvet but through mis-spelling and mis-pronunciation over a prolonged period (eg 2 weeks), it settled on its current form. will probably 'evolve' further to 'Na' or 'DOOO'

You are wrong. The word is actually "dyna" which is Swedish. The closest approximation to the sound by English speakers is doona.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll keep 'em coming as no one but me seems interested in this....

Sanitarium (cereal brand, OR a medical facility for long term illness: Sanitarium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sanitarium brand was originally created by the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Australia, which also ran Sanatoria - the medical facility kind - based on their interest in natural health, particularly vegetarianism. Not such a rubbish name when you know the history.

Guest guest36762
just like PA systems get called 'Tannoy's'

and vacuum cleaners get called 'Hoovers'

Do you see vacuum cleaners called hoovers in shops in the UK? No, that's because there are standards.

Guest guest36762
The Sanitarium brand was originally created by the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Australia, which also ran Sanatoria - the medical facility kind - based on their interest in natural health, particularly vegetarianism. Not such a rubbish name when you know the history.

oh thanks for the lesson. I feel privileged to know that

Do you see vacuum cleaners called hoovers in shops in the UK? No, that's because there are standards.

Do other companies actually call them Doonas? if so the company should take legal action?

on the same subject WTF is with calling things like that 'Manchester'??

Guest guest36762
Do other companies actually call them Doonas? if so the company should take legal action?

its what the barely literate shop staff would write on a 'special', for example. I've seen it.

don't know about the manchester one, but it certainly qualifies for this post as a rubbish name

Guest soon2move

Totally with you on the Manchester - er no Manchester is a place, not some sort of bedding. :arghh:

Esky (or however thats spelt) - still not figured that out...think its a brand name again like Hoover.

whist thats true its still a trademark owned by a company called the Totine Group, they sell quilts called 'doona'

Quilts :: Tontine Group - Manufacturers of quality pillows, quilts, doonas, mattress protectors

But ever since they arrived in Australia in the 1960s the word's been pronounced doona, although the Swedish spelling of dyna was originally used.

The spelling "doona" is so ubiquitous now that either Tontine's trademark isn't very effective or they are making every quilt brand sold in Australia.

But ever since they arrived in Australia in the 1960s the word's been pronounced doona, although the Swedish spelling of dyna was originally used.

The spelling "doona" is so ubiquitous now that either Tontine's trademark isn't very effective or they are making every quilt brand sold in Australia.

I'm not sure they do say 'Doona' on the packaging, I cant besure on that, Ill have to check next time I'm in Target or K Mart, which will be ...... never, cant stand the place, if I never go into one again it will be too soon :biggrin:

Totally with you on the Manchester - er no Manchester is a place, not some sort of bedding. :arghh:

Because in the 1800s when all the bedding was shipped from England, it arrived in big wooden boxes with the name of the company stamped on them - and the company was always in....Manchester.

Because they're all bloody illiterate- have you seen the price of books? It's no wonder poor deluded brainwashed souls....

Well, isn't it amazing that, despite the price of books, Australians are the highest per capita consumer of books in the English-speaking world?

And they say marone for maroon- unless it's a dessert island I suppose....

That's Queensland. In other states it's maroon.

A dessert island - where you only get to eat dessert? Sounds good to me.

Guest famousfive

Just thought of another one...Gromits for young surfers,at home gromits are a medical condition,something to do with growths in the nose or ear I think.

Guest guest36762

I think as OP I need to steer this ship back on course.

This post is not supposed to be educational or even factually correct. Artistic licence IS allowed for the sake of comedic impact.

Or how about using a normal name but giving it a bizarre spelling so the poor child will have to spell it out for the rest of its life? Katelyn anyone? Jemyma? WHY??

That's the Australian class system - the more outlandish the spelling the lower the educational level :wink:

Guest famousfive

Bitzer-mongrel dog

Yakka-hard work

Bludger-scrounger

Budgie smugglers-swimming trunks,best not to think too long about that one

Bush oyster-snot,YUCK

When something is dead as a dodo it's Cactus

Daks-trousers

A dag-a nerd or a sop

Drongo or dipstick-idiots and fools

Reg grundies-underpants

Grog-alcohol

Spruiking something-trying to flog it or sell it to you

Guest guest36762
'Dessert' was a tounge in cheek reference to the illiterate comment I put above- obviously my 'Pommie' sense of humour.:err:

and so was the spelling of that floppy thing that lives in your mouth?:chatterbox:

Guest guest36762
That's the Australian class system - the more outlandish the spelling the lower the educational level :wink:

thats more like it...you're on the right wavelength now:Randy-git:

Archived