South African police clearance

Guest Mrs Nix

Guest Mrs Nix

Morning!!

I am just being impatient again...our last hurdle.

So those who got South African police clearance done - how long did it REALLY take. I know it says on the website etc that it takes 6-8 weeks, but wondering if anyone got theirs super quick or extra long?

thanks

Morning!!

I am just being impatient again...our last hurdle.

So those who got South African police clearance done - how long did it REALLY take. I know it says on the website etc that it takes 6-8 weeks, but wondering if anyone got theirs super quick or extra long?

thanks

Ours took exactly the quoted time. At least not longer. The CO usually happy to wait as long as you notify him/ her of the situation.

Ours took 9 weeks.

I have posted an email address on a previous thread for someone you can check with.

Most people I have seen were a similar time to that quoted by SAPS, a few managed to get it speeded up.

Guest Mary Cockerill

Mrs Nix, 6 - 8 weeks is spot on, if there is a criminal record however it can take longer. It can also take longer if you are waiting for them to come back through the post from the SA CRC. If someone took the fingerprints in for you and are going to collect them as well, 6 weeks is the ball park. The only time they will go faster is if you present a contract of employment that stipulates a 'starting date', then the process can be expedited. Regards

Hi to all my fellow SAFFA's

I am hopefully only a few weeks away from CO so also need to start sorting PCC. How did you all do your's as pressume your all in the UK. There seem to be a few companies is SA happy to assist for a fee. Did any of you use one of them or did you do it alone and use a family member?

Thanks

I am hopefully only a few weeks away from CO so also need to start sorting PCC. How did you all do your's as pressume your all in the UK. There seem to be a few companies is SA happy to assist for a fee. Did any of you use one of them or did you do it alone and use a family member?

Thanks

Hi

We did it alone and used a family member.

Thanks

Initially we used a company called GMTM (or something like that), but they turned out to be very dodgy, so make sure whoever you use is reputable!! We ended up doing ourselves, and wasn't too painful

Initially we used a company called GMTM (or something like that), but they turned out to be very dodgy, so make sure whoever you use is reputable!! We ended up doing ourselves, and wasn't too painful

Hi

Would you mind me asking when you did it and how the process worked. Don't want to burden my parents too much so hence considering using a company. Just not keen on spending R1200 if i dont need too.. Are you in AUS yet?

Cheers

Guest Mary Cockerill

Neil. You can forward the fingerprints, and a copy of your ID books or passport information pages with a draft to the correct amount (R59 per certificate) to SAPS Crimianl Records Centre, Police Clearance Certificates, 271 Schoeman Street Pretoria 0002. From my understanding they will only post them out to you normal airmail once completed. (I stand under correction on this one). They do not post you a receipt.

If someone takes the fingerprints/id and fee in for you, a receipt is instantly issued, which is used for collection purposes. Hope that helps. It costs about R150 for courier return costs. If a friend or family member can collect them for you, do colour scans, or scan black and white certified copies for you once they have been issued, the scanned copies can be forwarded to the case officer. This would cut down the time frames. hope that helps. Regards

Neil. You can forward the fingerprints, and a copy of your ID books or passport information pages with a draft to the correct amount (R59 per certificate) to SAPS Crimianl Records Centre, Police Clearance Certificates, 271 Schoeman Street Pretoria 0002. From my understanding they will only post them out to you normal airmail once completed. (I stand under correction on this one). They do not post you a receipt.

If someone takes the fingerprints/id and fee in for you, a receipt is instantly issued, which is used for collection purposes. Hope that helps. It costs about R150 for courier return costs. If a friend or family member can collect them for you, do colour scans, or scan black and white certified copies for you once they have been issued, the scanned copies can be forwarded to the case officer. This would cut down the time frames. hope that helps. Regards

Hi Mary

Thanks for the info. Can the payment be made at a local police station? I have heard from others that this can be done and then posted along with the info to pretoria who will then post it back to your local address. In this case my parents who in turn can post back to me

Regards

Guest Mary Cockerill

Hi Neil. No the fee can't be paid to a local police station. It may be possible to pay it to the South African Embassy and that receipt to be forwarded with the fingerprints etc, but normally people obtain a bank draft from the forex dept of thier bank. The police dept will post it back to a local address without a problem, and yes, then your parents could relay them back to you. Do your parents live in Pretoria? If they do you could send the documents to them and they could take them in for you and then collect them. I know this is a bit of a hassel, but it does give more control. I only have dealings with the 'front staff', some are wonderful, especially Ilse Delport, who goes out of her way to be helpful. Once they receive the fingerprints, it all gets entered onto the computer. They can say at exactly what stage the processing is at by entereing the ID number into the system, and it pops up with 'still with AFIS, in for signature, or ready for collection' etc. Not all of the staff will take the time to look, only saying, 'you are too early, 6 - 8 weeks'. They suggest phoning first, but to get through on the phone is impossible. There is no way to check 'online' unfortunately. It can get very frustrating. Regards

Guest Mary Cockerill

Hi Neil. I am not sure what happened to my answer to your question.. it vanished into hyper space. The only method of payment that I know of for SA PCC's is either in Rand bank check or case. I think that you may be able to pay at the SA Embassy and then send that receipt with the fingerprints. If your parents live in PTA they could take the documents in directly and pay over the counter at the CRC office. If there is a record it can take longer than 6 - 8 weeks as the computer system only shows there is a record, not what the record is or what the penalty was. these details have to be found in the archives. Regards

Hi Mary

Thanks for the info. I have just phoned my local police station where i used to live in PE and you can indeed pay locally. The process is normally along the lines of taking in a copy of your ID book. They will certify this and do your fingerprints at the same time. The cost is R59. They provide you with the Pretoria address and you send it off and wait!

Regards

Guest Mary Cockerill

Hi Neil. I am sure if your parents went into their local police station and asked if they can pay the required fee it should be possible. But I would suggest then that you forward the fingerprints to your parents so that they can add the payment receipt to the fingerprints and send them through to CRC. Regards

I got mine done in December 09/January 10. As I live in London, I got my fingerprints done here, and then sent them home with my father, along with the completed form. He paid locally (he lives in Durban) and had it all couriered to Pretoria, I think. The time they told him he would have it by was within the estimated 6 - 8 weeks (they actually landed up sending me 2 for the price of one - gotta love inefficiency :).

They got sent back to my dad and he sent them on to me by courier, which I felt was a much safer way than having them sent via ordinary post.

Guest shirlw

Mine took 9 weeks and my husbands took 12 weeks but he had a drink/driving thing on his from 19vootsac.........this is our 2nd time around and apart from the inefficiency of our local copshop here in the bush.........Pretoria do seem to be a tad more efficient.We used bunnyhop to courier and collect as I did not trust the postal service.

www.bunnyhop.co.za

• 11 months later...

Hi, new here ... hoping to get in, new points system works in my favour for the next 3 weeks, then I'm too old ;( .... fingers crossed ACS positively process my skills assessment in good time ...

According to the 1119 doc on the au immi web site, it says ....

In order for the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character,

you may be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have resided in for

12 months or more over the last 10 years, including Australia.

Does this mean if I've been in UK for 11 years I don't need SA clearance ?

Archived